Author Topic: cell phone service  (Read 1706 times)

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
cell phone service
« on: June 20 2015, 03:38:19 PM »
I didn't know where to put this. So if it needs moved I see no problem with that.
We have set out on some cost cutting measures and the phone seemed high and we will be adding a line soon for our youngest as she will attend Jr high in the fall and this is the precedent we set with the oldest. We have kind of decided on gsm as the phone choices seem better than the CDMA proprietary . I have been looking at amazon, tmart, eBay among other places. I bought a blu phone to replace my wife's DOA HTC phone. I have been looking at cricket, net10, att (current provider but they seemed to have gotten away from free phones), metropcs,  and T-Mobile . any others I should check out?
Next on the cost cutting is the TV/internet provider.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline xpander343

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Re: cell phone service
« Reply #1 on: June 20 2015, 08:27:25 PM »
I cancelled my satellite services about 3 months ago and just go with stuff on the web now.  I would think with you guys in the US being able to get Hulu Plus and a decent version of netflix the only stuff you'd really be missing is live sports.  Using something like a Roku or its like would make streaming (netflix, hulu) easy if you don't have a smart tv or a video game system to use for the searching.
87 Regal Limited

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21 2015, 03:41:14 PM »

Well, it looks like that we might be cutting the cord on the ATT uverse. We pulled the trigger on new service with T-Mobile. Four lines of unlimited data, unlimited talk, and unlimited text, along with 7gb of the phone being a hot spot for each line and some kind of music streaming thing that I doubt Ill use but the two girls seemed to know what it is.

i will check out if we can run the home interwebz off the phone and if so u-verse will get the axe.

Best part Even though we added a line and now have unlimited data on all lines instead of just on my line it is $50 or so dollars cheaper than we were paying for the three lines and my unlimited data and their two lines of shared 10gb. I'm thinking it is a win but we will see.

Next thing I think the phone places are cheating on was the actual phones. I mean they seem to be leaning towards a lease even though they don't come out and say so. So I got to rooting around the webz and found some pretty nifty phones that have one easy payment and they are mine. The old way seemed to be them giving me a phone but they didnt want to do that this time. Their loss as they lost us as customers. They were goofing us out of the insurance every month and then wanted $125 deductable if I want to exercise the insurance. Seemed like a ripoff.

Enter amazon. We will see how this works out. I bought one of these for the wife. It came yesterday. Had to go down to att to get a smaller sim card. Funny how that worked as we watched the guy get a new sim card and put it in a puncher to snip off the outer edge and create the small sim card. Working well so far. Looks just like the Samsung S5.
http://www.amazon.com/BLU-Studio-Display-Android-Unlocked/dp/B00QKVEUFO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434914682&sr=8-1&keywords=unlocked+gsm+phone+lte+blu

We checked out Sprint last weekend, I looked at the others listed in the op on line. I went by a BestBuy place in the mall when I was out and about last week. While we were out yesterday we hit the cricket place and went across the street to the T-Mobile. We ran up on a very good sales person and while not pushy was very informative. I liked her as she went for a close which I think is very under rated in this day and time. Again she wasn't pushy just very informative and closed with if I could get you out today for $30 could we make this happen. Funny part was she couldnt and we ended up with a $65 out lay but I was bale to negotiated $20 of the first bill and $20 off the second bill with the manager name and number and my assurace he would get a call if it wasn't on the 2nd bill. She said she had been there eight years and her and the wife got to show each other pix of their respective kids.

She was quite impressed with the phone in the link above too so I hooked her up with the link and she said she was going to order two, one for her and one for her mother. The best part was when we told her the screen protector and the phone case came with and she said she would be selling the case for $30.

I think we are on the right track. Time will tell. I am eying the phone with the bigger screen.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QKVEUP4?psc=1

or one with a bigger battery.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SZEFJ68?psc=1
Rich

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21 2015, 08:16:50 PM »
I manage just fine without data on the phone.
The Mrs runs a prepaid card , she spends maybe $100 a year
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22 2015, 06:32:21 AM »
How do you manage to get into the interwebz? I am working toward a totally mobile deal and the desktop getting data from the phone so I can cut the interwebz and tv bill out. I know I'm going to pay for phone with teen daughters and the wife.
Rich

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal