Author Topic: Ordered a new amp last night  (Read 6512 times)

DCEPTCN

Ordered a new amp last night
« on: July 28 2005, 02:48:31 PM »
From Musician's Friend. A Randall RG200G2. For the sale price of $379 I get 200 watts pushing through Celestions? Yeah, I'll take one, please.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=141/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/480331/

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
« Reply #1 on: July 28 2005, 03:21:14 PM »
I love gear. Randall are nice amps. Didn't Randall make the Warhead too?

I still want to get a Tech21 amp sometime, their pedals and preamps are bad ass. And a Mesa Blue Angel. And a Fender Quad Reverb. And a Dumble Steel String Singer.

Nice amp dude. Raise some hell with it.
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

DCEPTCN

« Reply #2 on: July 28 2005, 03:27:09 PM »
Quote from: "87natty @ Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:21 pm"
I love gear. Randall are nice amps. Didn't Randall make the Warhead too?

I still want to get a Tech21 amp sometime, their pedals and preamps are bad ass. And a Mesa Blue Angel. And a Fender Quad Reverb. And a Dumble Steel String Singer.

Nice amp dude. Raise some hell with it.
Randall did make the Warhead. I'm frankensteinin g a project on that right now.....I have a gutted Laney cab that I think I wanna throw a couple of 15s in.

.....I'm not familiar with Tech21?

Offline Racer X

• Turbo Street Eliminator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hotrodbuick.com
Re: Ordered a new amp last night
« Reply #3 on: July 28 2005, 09:04:53 PM »
Nothing to do with buying amps, but I have been on the receiving end of some lately. Front row at Irvine Meadows for Judas Priest (and backstage), Megadeth, and third row for Motley Crue!  :D

This weekend... Scorpions / UFO, front row, of course! Take that bitches!!  :rofl;
2008 Charger SRT-8
2009 Challenger R/T
any questions?

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28 2005, 10:15:01 PM »
Quote from: "Racer X @ Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:04 pm"
Nothing to do with buying amps, but I have been on the receiving end of some lately. Front row at Irvine Meadows for Judas Priest (and backstage), Megadeth, and third row for Motley Crue!
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28 2005, 11:53:41 PM »
Tech21 does the original SansAmp. They were doing solid state amp emulators way back when, long before this Line 6 and digi amp bullshit. They have an undescribeable feel and sound to them.

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29 2005, 12:18:25 AM »
I'm assuming based on the price its a solid state amp. It seems
to be a good deal. Many of the reviews claim that it makes strange noises at higher
levels. In a live situation, that isn't a problem anyways. More often than not amps
are run at a fairly low level and mic'd. I've thought about buying a Line - 6 combo
for a giging amp, because it'd be alot easier to move around and set up than my
rack system. I haven't looked into them closely to see whether or not the have a
tube pre-amp stage or not. I really like the sounds and harmonics of tube distortion
as opposed to solid state. Although they're getting alot better with tube simulation
these days.
Rob

DCEPTCN

« Reply #7 on: July 29 2005, 01:26:18 PM »
Solid state is the only way I roll....I really ain't crazy about tube amps.

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29 2005, 03:08:48 PM »
Tubes are wishy washy. I like tube preamps, but tube poer amps vary too much in their output. And I use real heavy strings (.055 low e tuned to standard pitch) and tube power amps when cranked make my bottom end sound like mud. But that's only at more than 50 watts. All my smaller equipment is all tube.

DCEPTCN

« Reply #9 on: August 03 2005, 03:49:02 PM »
Holy shit is this amp LOUD. It's gonna take some tweaking to get it and my processor to get along harmoniously, but it looks good. SUPER tight clean even at end of the world volume levels. Easily the loudest amp I've ever played through. It is a tad noisy at top volume on the gain channels, but I don't anticipate ever honestly needing top volume from this motherhumper.

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03 2005, 04:01:20 PM »
Who needs their gain all the up anyways right? Most amps can't tell the difference between 7 and 10 unless you have REALLY high gain pickups. Sylvan, you need the Bill Lawrence 500 pickup, that's the original Dime pickup. That and 1000k (1meg) volume pots. Unless you have one of those damn active guitars.

DCEPTCN

« Reply #11 on: August 03 2005, 04:09:36 PM »
Quote from: "87natty @ Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:01 pm"
Who needs their gain all the up anyways right? Most amps can't tell the difference between 7 and 10 unless you have REALLY high gain pickups. Sylvan, you need the Bill Lawrence 500 pickup, that's the original Dime pickup. That and 1000k (1meg) volume pots. Unless you have one of those damn active guitars.
No active pickups, here. I had 'em on an old Charvel years ago and your tone would start suffering without you even really noticing it.....besides, I always thought they created kind of a phony sound......I can't really explain that. Don't hate me, but my guitar has always been really good for me and I've never changed a thing about it (except secret little tweaks).....even the pickups. Those damn Duncan Designs give me the perfect (I think) clean tone and a pretty good crunch- I'm scared to mess with them. I'll just buy another guitar before I screw with this. I want a USA Rhoads with EMG's....but that's $3k out of my price range right now.

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03 2005, 04:38:16 PM »
I want an original Guild S-100, but they're hard as hell to find. And a Fender Jazzmaster. And a Les Paul Special bolt-on, one P-90 please.

DCEPTCN

« Reply #13 on: August 03 2005, 04:43:59 PM »
Quote from: "87natty @ Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:38 pm"
I want an original Guild S-100, but they're hard as hell to find. And a Fender Jazzmaster. And a Les Paul Special bolt-on, one P-90 please.
You are a vintage man, indeed. A lot of money in those old fiddles- but they retain that value so it's all good.

You know what I don't get? Signature series guitars. While I may ADMIRE a guitar player, I've never been inclined to IMITATE any. Last night a saw the Michael Schenker signature from Dean. $4444.00. Who the fuck is dumb enough to buy this POS?

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04 2005, 07:19:25 AM »
SRV Strat? WHY? WHY! would I want a guitar to sound 40 years old? I got a 59 Silvertone, chopped the shit out of it. A 75 Strat. Chopped it too. 72? Cut. 97. Violated. 1942 Kay 12 string acoustic? Firewood. I can't say I like vintage sound, I like the S-100 because it has a better balance then an SG. Look at where the strap buttons are at. All Gibsons are neck heavy. The Jazzmaster, sounds like shit but feels good. And the LP, it's something I wouldn't feel bad about throwing ginto a bass drum.

Signature guitars suck. I had a friend buy a 5150 amp because Van Asshole had one, and I danced around him with a Crate 15 watt, just to prove my point.

I like 70's Strats because their necks are more round, but you need to re-fret them and ditch the pickups.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal