Author Topic: PL, SM and Knock Gauge Question  (Read 4936 times)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
PL, SM and Knock Gauge Question
« on: August 23 2016, 07:49:41 PM »
Where does PL, SM and the knock gauge pick up their knock from? Reason I'm asking cuz I use the knock gauge on the pillar to get my foot out of the loud pedal if I see it 'light up'. Last week during one of my two runs I saw the knock gauge come on with 2 green lites. I was gonna get my foot out of it...but they went out. If I had half a brain I woulda hit recall on the SM to check for KR...but didn't. PL log showed no KR...why? Should all 3 of these instruments not show KR? Does the knock sensor not 'hear' the knock...send it to the ECM...and the ECM fires it off to the 3 devices?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: PL, SM and Knock Gauge Question
« Reply #1 on: August 23 2016, 08:24:30 PM »
I'm going by memory here as I did some reasearch a while back to make a freestanding knock detection device' out of GM parts like ours to fit on engines that have no knock data.   (I was inspired after a buddy grenaded his SVT Lighting on the dyno and later when I got a prochager for my BBC jetbaot engine).

The knock sensor talks to the ESC module, and the ESC module is the middleman that talkes to the ECM.

it seems like knock gauges go directly to the knock sensor, so if that's true, it's kinda acting like an ESC module with it's own internal filter circuitry.

And interesting thing I did learn was that most all the GM knock sensors are the same. They're just a piezo microphone that listens to a certain frequency range.

The GM ESC modules on the other hand were different and were based on the engines bore size.

...then I lost interest and went back to looking at pictures of women with no clothes on.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 23 2016, 08:48:09 PM »
Far as I know, Earl is correct.    What we see on scantools is the fiiltered result after the ecm decides if it is knock, or not.  The knock alarms see the unfiltered input data instead so they often show knock that does not show up on the scantool and it is probably not knock-just a noise the sensor heard.

I did not know about GM sensors in general but I think the GN sensors are filtered to pass to the ecm frequencies around 6000 hz based on bore size.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23 2016, 08:53:23 PM »
If the ECM decides it's knock...does it cut timing?

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23 2016, 09:23:10 PM »
I think the factory chip could kill the wastegate solenoid to minimize boost and pull some timing as well.  Far as I know, these functions were deactivated in aftermarket chips because false knock could knock it on its face.   question best asked of Eric
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23 2016, 10:01:07 PM »
As I said in Earls thread, when I overboosted the engine last month the KR went to 14.8...and the timing remained level. I'll do a search tomorrow on the other board...maybe the same question has been put to Eric before. Curious to know what he does in his chip in that regard.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23 2016, 11:29:49 PM »
I must be getting old to forget that...lol

Before I went to the slightly shorter belt, one of my cars would allow the pulley to hit
Steve Wood

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24 2016, 06:04:37 PM »
Eric explained that one.  Much like when you unplug the MAF the scan tool doesn't' report actual data.   Sometimes you have to learn when not to trust your tools. This looks like another one of those times.

That shorter belt really make a difference.  I came across about 5 Goodyear Gatorbacks a while back and swapped mine out on general principal...
  I need to move those things too. Summit lists them as discontinued and wanted $26 each when they were available!
« Last Edit: August 24 2016, 06:08:59 PM by earlbrown »
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline aminga

• Chicks Dig the Power Bulge
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • Chicks Dig the Power Bulge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27 2016, 01:03:41 PM »
I think the factory chip could kill the wastegate solenoid to minimize boost and pull some timing as well.  Far as I know, these functions were deactivated in aftermarket chips because false knock could knock it on its face.   question best asked of Eric

I thought on the stock chip the Wastegate was just on a timer. It just commands a duty cycle on the solenoid and then pulls it after an ammount of time that roughly corresponds to second gear.

At any rate the knock gauges are hooked in to b7 on the ECM input this is the raw signal.  There was a good article at one time that I can't find now that discussed how the ECM and ESC module reacts to knock. It was a kind of predictor corrector control system
86 Regal T-type. One Owner. Twisted 6 Racing Built 109, FTSS Revolution X 206/210 Cam, T&D 1.65 Rockers, Diamond Forged Pistons, RJC Power Plate, TA6262DBB, PTE SLIC, Alkycontrol pump and Kit and ISAC Controller, Bailey TR6 Wastespark, TA Headers, ATR Downpipe, Racetronix Walbro pump and hot wire ki

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27 2016, 08:04:35 PM »
As I think I said, I am not 100% sure.  We know it would pull timing and I think I read it would pull boost, but, when my car was new, it would pull 14 psi for a couple of seconds or so and then drop back to 12.  I went aftermarket early in the game and that feature was wiped out in lieu of constant boost.
Steve Wood

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27 2016, 08:20:18 PM »
Eric explained that one.  Much like when you unplug the MAF the scan tool doesn't' report actual data.   Sometimes you have to learn when not to trust your tools. This looks like another one of those times.

That shorter belt really make a difference.  I came across about 5 Goodyear Gatorbacks a while back and swapped mine out on general principal...
  I need to move those things too. Summit lists them as discontinued and wanted $26 each when they were available!

Looks like your a red hair away from the bracket.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27 2016, 08:21:07 PM »
I read a post from Patrick Rubio years ago about possibly running into boost issues using the solenoid past the stock boost level. I've run mine tuner style ever since.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28 2016, 04:08:39 PM »

Looks like your a red hair away from the bracket.

It looks a little closer in the picture than in real life. Once I ran the car for about a minute and the belt found it's happy place, it moved away a little.

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29 2016, 03:35:18 PM »
So we are talking a black curly hair?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal