Author Topic: Is this worth 200 clams?  (Read 4874 times)

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Is this worth 200 clams?
« on: August 17 2012, 03:55:54 PM »
It's a 3" Random Technologys cat with a Buick flange welded on one side and a 3 bolt collector flange on the other. It has about 15 miles on it. (house to emissions facility bank to the house).

Since I don't have emissions testing here, I don't need a working cat to hold my door open :)
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Is this worth 200 clams?
« Reply #1 on: August 17 2012, 04:13:19 PM »
Chuck did a bunch of testing with Random in the early days.  It's a good flowing cat, but, if you don't have to do testing, it cannot be worth 200 bux, imo
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17 2012, 04:56:05 PM »
why so expensive?  I mistakenly bought a free flowing cat and it cost me $150 installed. I say mistakenly because the one that I had was already gutted. :hmm

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17 2012, 06:05:47 PM »
Chuck did a bunch of testing with Random in the early days.  It's a good flowing cat, but, if you don't have to do testing, it cannot be worth 200 bux, imo

I was asking if it's worth it to someone that has to be tested. I'm trying to see if it's worth trying to sell. Since I don't run cats I've never researched them moneywise.

If it's not worth anything I'm not going to list it and risk 100 emails, PM's and lowball offers of $45 shipped (and eat 5% paypal fees)
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17 2012, 06:50:40 PM »
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 17 2012, 07:12:54 PM »
they sell new for 175-210 in that case
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17 2012, 08:50:35 PM »
this is what mine started out as before adding the Buick flange....
http://www.amazon.com/Random-Technology-141-30000-Catalytic-Converter/dp/B005C4E4LU

Looks like I need to just scrap it. By the time I boxed it up, drove to the post office, paid shipping and ate the paypal fees, I'd probably be about even.  (I will admit my morbid sense of curiosity has me wanting to list it on the .kom site)

I didn't realize scrap value and new retail could be so close.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17 2012, 09:03:26 PM »
I bet you can get $100 for it then add shipping??

I spent $45 on mine from Mike & added a flange, welding etc so close to $100 but after 20 years I got sick of the dump pipe & elec cutout & wanted my car quiet. Altho, I'm Back Assward as I paid to pass the car with the dump for all those years & now with no testing due to the age & I have a Cat on it??  :icon_eyes:

David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17 2012, 09:57:25 PM »
That's what I'm thinking too. Only I won't have to ship it to the scrap yard. They'll hand me cash.

edit: I couldn't help myself. I listed it on the .kom board. When I wake up tomorrow afternoon I'll see how many screwy offers I have in my conversation box (or whateverthehel l is over there now). Man, that site's a bitch to navigate now!
« Last Edit: August 18 2012, 12:18:22 AM by earlbrown »

Offline gbsean

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.buickperfomancegroup.com
« Reply #9 on: August 18 2012, 09:48:32 AM »
I have the one similar to kirbans and could not give it away at BPG event...Weavy told me to sell it for scrap,,,

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18 2012, 10:18:12 AM »
Yours is better flowing but if you want to pass a visual inspection -depending on your location the Kirban style one has a much better chance.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal