Author Topic: jason's education thread  (Read 99532 times)

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: jason's education thread
« Reply #210 on: November 28 2014, 12:46:03 AM »
Things don't always go like you plan Jason. I'll be at work until 5 tomorrow and have to work till 12 on Saturday. TTYS my friend. Talked to Gary today and Ray called me back but we'll chat soon. :cheers:
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 03 2014, 01:34:12 PM »
Made a few pulls in 3rd gear last Sunday evening.  O2's were in the 770's above 100 mph.

To recap:  adjusted fuel pressure to a tad under 43 psi.  Blm's at idle 132. O2's at 780ish, hot, in gear

Checked an ass load of electrical wires for voltage loss. Added grounds at intake to firewall, back of alternator to fender, and one at the tank to the trunk floor.

Replaced alternator with a junkyard score out of a buick roadmaster.

Cleaned all elctrical connections and fuse block with Deoxit D5(man is that stuff hard to find)

Swapped ECM's with my spare to include the power logger.

Removed all bulbs and head lights, cleaned all sockets

Adjusted alky control  to 6 on the dial instead of 7.

Now just need to get to the track to see what's happening at low gear
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 05 2014, 01:16:19 PM »
Sitting at work twiddling my thumbs....  Playing with compression ratio calculator on the computer.  What are some dimensions of head gasket thickness you guys have used? Any problems?  Brands?  I believe stock had a compressed thickness of .060.  Cometic has the MLS available in several thicknesses.  Not certian of the TRW piston cc's either.  I have found several conflicting numbers for piston cc's for their .030 over piston.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline larrym

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 05 2014, 01:29:17 PM »
I plan on trying RJC gaskets with the motor I have on the stand .035 compressed with the pistons .007 in the hole leaves me with .042 quench I hope to be close to 9:1 with the Diamond pistons I'm using.

My understanding is you do not want a minimum .040 quench (piston to head clearance)

http://rjcracing.com/product/head-gasket/

86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 05 2014, 01:55:12 PM »
I measured the piston to deck distance on my barn motor and it is .039 to .040.  So from what you're saying, I'm already at the minimum quench without the head gasket with my current piston sitting that low in the cylinder.  I'm getting in way deep for this motor build and it's enjoyable to learn all this stuff.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline larrym

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 05 2014, 02:16:07 PM »
if your measurements are correct with a stock gasket you would have .099 quench something doesn't sound right. I am far from an expert but I do like to learn, compression height (piston to deck height) plus compressed gasket thickness equals quench.

86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
Best ET 11.36

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 05 2014, 05:28:40 PM »
Got a call from my friend at the dodge dealership.  Left work early to go see.  He wouldn't let me drive it.  Buyer is the owner of Bush's Chicken
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 05 2014, 06:45:42 PM »
Cool, I saw a white one out at one of my big customers. I didn't know what it was but I did see the fender badge with 6.4L. Maybe it isn't the same, ill snap some pix next week.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 05 2014, 06:50:41 PM »
if your measurements are correct with a stock gasket you would have .099 quench something doesn't sound right. I am far from an expert but I do like to learn, compression height (piston to deck height) plus compressed gasket thickness equals quench.

On a production engine the designer usually shoots for the piston to be in the hole to account for production variations, so the piston doesn't end up out of the hole and causing problems(at least this is what I have read). This could account for performance variations with seemingly identical cars.
Rich

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 06 2014, 08:24:47 AM »
I just ran the numbers for a stock engine with .030 over bore and came out with 8.05. Here's the numbers I used.   If anyone thinks I have the wrong numbers let me know.

Bore 3.83
Stroke 3.4
Head cc 49
Piston cc 23
Head gasket diameter 3.86
Head gasket thickness .060

That seems to be in line with the stock specs of 8 to 1. 

Next question is how thin of a head gasket can you use and still have valve clearance and still have the intake seal?  I realize there are variables, especially if the heads and deck had to be milled for squareness.
« Last Edit: December 06 2014, 10:25:24 AM by good2win22 »
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 06 2014, 09:35:14 AM »
Put some clay on the piston tops and bolt the heads on w/o a gasket. Put the pushrods and rockers in and turn it over with a breaker bar carefully. then pull it back off and measure the thickness of the clay. wont be exact due to the angles involved but it gets you where you know the valves wont hit the pistons.
Rich

Offline larrym

• View Profile
jason's education thread
« Reply #221 on: December 06 2014, 12:49:06 PM »
My understanding is    .040 is close to the minimum. My buddy recently  finished a motor the rods he got measure .005 longer than stock and after the block was square decked he was .005 outside the hole he runs stock felpro gaskets with no issue. The added compression really wakes it up. My goals are to have similar numbers with my pistons inside the hole.
Best ET 11.36

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #222 on: December 06 2014, 02:57:31 PM »
My understanding is    .040 is close to the minimum. My buddy recently  finished a motor the rods he got measure .005 longer than stock and after the block was square decked he was .005 outside the hole he runs stock felpro gaskets with no issue. The added compression really wakes it up. My goals are to have similar numbers with my pistons inside the hole.

If we are talking stock Buick heads, they are open chamber and conventional quench is meaningless for the most part.  I don't remember what the champion aluminum heads look like, but the TA turbo heads have a closed chamber design that allows one to take advantage of quench.

Either way, compression is good-particularly on street driven cars.  I have been running in the vicinity of 9.5-1 with iron heads for more than 15 years.  If you have aluminum heads, it becomes mandatory to replace the heat lost due to the lousy thermal properties of AL when discussing combustion.

I coped this out of the archives of gnttype many years ago...gives you an idea of what it takes to accomplish a given compression ratio

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/compression_ratio_calculations.htm
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 10 2014, 08:19:34 PM »
Toying around on the barn motor this evening... How much wear on the timing cover where the cam button rides before the cover is junk?  I measured the outside depth of the groove but the wear is convex being less in the center of where the cam button rides.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 10 2014, 09:07:51 PM »
 You can epoxy a thin piece of steel (1/8) over where the wear is after spot facing the area. It will keep the wear down, but you need to tear into the pump housing to see if it's damaged first.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal