Author Topic: Turbo question  (Read 4482 times)

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Turbo question
« on: October 02 2011, 08:41:47 PM »
I've been reading and studying up on the TA-49 turbo for a while and with the modified turbo I've built it's basically just an old stage 2 upgrade for the 86-87 turbo. I've also done some research on the HA TA-33 upgrade on the HA cars. What I'm planning on doing is upgrading the modified one to a TA-49 since it's using an 86-87 hot side and basically an 86-87 cold side. What I want to know is has anyone ever put a TA-49 turbo on a HA car and how well did it work.

I'm looking at a very modified draw through here to say the least but I'm hoping that someone may be able to give me some insite on how well this may work. I'm thinking that it should be good for at least mid 11's but possibly more. Thanks guys. :D
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Turbo question
« Reply #1 on: October 02 2011, 10:42:50 PM »
I know it has been done...and guys have gone faster than mid elevens on ic'd cars...on a HA, I don't know.  I suspect the trick is to use alky for chemical intercooling along with good heads to minimize boost vs volume of delivery
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02 2011, 11:00:46 PM »
Was hoping you'd check in Steve. Thanks. Anyone else?
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03 2011, 08:52:43 AM »
Grumpy may have tried it. Shoot him a PM on the other board.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03 2011, 09:23:28 AM »
I chimed in, but I did not have any useful info :D

HA cars always run into the same quandary-how to get cool air out of the turbo while being able to spool it.  One would think someone would build an efficient turbo that would work with today's technology.  Sounds like time for a ball bearing turbo for hot air cars.
Steve Wood

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03 2011, 10:39:39 AM »
You're right Steve, but input is good regardless. The new design has made it into the high 11's so far but I think I can knock another .5 or better off of the times. Alky is a good idea and I'm thinking about having 2 different systems for the car. One that works with the CCC and one that's stand alone with a Holley converted to alky so I can use E-85 if I want to.

Thanks Scoob. I didn't think Dan did anything with the HA cars but I'll ask him. :)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03 2011, 11:26:16 AM »
I have not kept up with such things, but, long ago, guys were putting turbos on sand dragsters and spraying alky on the inlet side...worked like a charm, but, it eventually eroded the blades...proba bly because it was not atomized enuf.  I have seen a few talk about it recently, but, most of them are kids that jump on every bandwagon but never post any real data so its hard to know the merit.

With a strong pump and and small nozzles, it should be easy to spray a mist that would not hurt the wheel.  You need to go dig up Buddy Ingersoll :)

One thing about straight methanol is that if you can pump enuf of it, you will get a good octane boost out of it along with the cooling.  E85 would be a good choice but every time I see a bag of corn for $12 instead of $5, I know I am subsidizing those "billionaires" that are making it off my tax payments.
Steve Wood

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03 2011, 12:43:50 PM »
There are several forums that I've been reading over the years that are all about alky injection. One of them suprised me with the data posted. Can you imagine a 2.3 ford turbo motor completely stock making 485 HP? The point of the post was to show the difference between pre and post turbo spraying. Some cool vids including the dyno run with the engine. The best was done with a pre turbo spray and a lot of info showing that pre works best if the mix is atomized properly.

I'd love to pick Buddy's brain on some of the stuff I want to do but he's just a little hard to get hold of. LOL

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05 2011, 04:58:24 PM »
Didn't realize it was safe to run E-85 in our cars. 

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05 2011, 05:06:28 PM »
You can run E-85 Phil. Up to a 30% mix is safe just by itself. Contact Eric at turbo tweek and he can set you up with injectors and a chip. He will also give you the ups and dows to running it. :)

After getting off the phone with the turbo guy I'm using there seems to be a possibility of running something like a 60 series turbo on this thing. The re-designed housing is opening up quite a few options for the early cars. Looks very possible that it may even turn 10's with the right conditions.  :O :icon_super:

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05 2011, 06:27:16 PM »
bolt it on!
Steve Wood

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07 2011, 11:13:54 AM »
Oh thats what's up.  My brother was looking to change up some stuff on his harley truck to run E-85.  So if i get a chip burned for it, i could run it.  Thats sweet.  Now im just curious as to if i could run reg 93 octane and E-85.  Guess you wouldnt wanna mix it tho....

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07 2011, 11:25:16 AM »
Well if you look at my last post you can run up to a 30% mix of it Phil. 10 gallons of gas and 4 gallons of E-85 and you're right at 28%. It will work with a completely stock car or one of Erics chips just like it is.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07 2011, 01:46:29 PM »
Got you.  My bad.  Was early when i was looking at it.  Not much of a morning person.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal