Author Topic: Headlight switch chime  (Read 1498 times)

Offline phagen28

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Headlight switch chime
« on: September 07 2020, 02:30:45 PM »
I have something here that I have never noticed before. My battery recently went dead while sitting. To check for a draw just to be sure, I checked with a test light from Neg cable to the neg. battery and light lit. Next I used my multi meter in the same position and got 14MA draw that way. I have read here and believe that is an acceptable amt of draw, but I just now noticed that when i touch the neg cable to the battery I get 1 single "Ding" that comes either from the headlight switch or that immediate area.I have never noticed this before but wonder now if my headlight switch might be a problem or if this is normal.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight switch chime
« Reply #1 on: September 07 2020, 03:33:49 PM »
That's a tough one.  The very first mod I do to all my car is find that damn buzzer and kill it.

That being said, the most common cause of batteries going dead in the middle of the night is the fan delay relay.   Have you already removed yours and smashed it with a hammer yet?
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Headlight switch chime
« Reply #2 on: September 07 2020, 03:40:54 PM »
14 ma should take months to drain a good battery.  The delay relay is the number one culprit as Earl says.

If you have had the battery load tested and are convinced it is good, then try pulling the Inst LPS fuse and see if that fixes the problem.

The cig-clk fuse would be the second one, I would try pulling if the problem persists.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal