Author Topic: The All About My Monte Carlo SS Thread  (Read 41578 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: The All About My Monte Carlo SS Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 23 2012, 10:09:35 AM »
plasma cutter
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 23 2012, 12:03:04 PM »
Never had an issue with either one of ours welding just about anything Mike. Even if it's got some oil on it the welds seem to be penatrating and look pretty decent. Did have an issue with the last wire unit when the feed went wonky though. The new unit works a whole lot better but it's a 220 unit VS the old 110 unit.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 24 2012, 10:03:25 AM »
I was spoiled growing up when I had access to my Dad's shops and all the tools... including a really nice 220V MIG welder which I sucked at using. I was comparing my 10 year old welds to what I am doing now with this dinky hobby shop unit and really wish I had access to a better welder. I figure I'll acquire better tools over time as my skills improve.

Regardless, all of the exhaust parts are now finished. Some need to be painted in high temp paint and baked (I am going to use our BBQ... LOL), others need to be thermally wrapped as well. I'll need to build some heat shields for next to the foot wells, as this lovely old engine loves to leak a little oil and we don't want that soaking into the header wrap.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24 2012, 11:34:11 AM »
Instead of the BBQ you could always build a solar oven Mike. Pretty simple to make them and they can heat up enough to cook meat safely but slowly after all. We made them in scouts as kids and it would suprise you how well they can work. :rock:
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 24 2012, 11:46:48 AM »
Instead of the BBQ you could always build a solar oven Mike. Pretty simple to make them and they can heat up enough to cook meat safely but slowly after all. We made them in scouts as kids and it would suprise you how well they can work. :rock:

He could carry his tools in a fanny pack too, but I don't think he would do that. :p
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 24 2012, 12:52:04 PM »
I built a hobo stove a few months ago that kicked the crap out of some of my soldiers fancy jet heaters. Cost me less than $5 to make (including the fuel) and I got some Vienna sausages out of the deal.

Actually that reminds me... I have a propane space heater and an old tank (literally an old tank that they won't refill) of propane. I could just use that and keep car parts out of where my food goes.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 24 2012, 10:11:39 PM »
Nothing like a vacation that feels nothing like a vacation... those were my last four days "off".

Anyway it looks like everything is coming together. The exhaust fabrication is complete with everything fitted and all the welding done... coating and wrapping those parts will come later. Today I decided that I should start laying out all of the sensors, accessories, bobbles and cables... essentially everything that will be needed to make this thing run. I also pulled out the complete ECM harness, HVAC controls and some other things I have no clue what they were for - LOL. The only thing still under the hood are the headlights and horn wiring.

I have also decided that I am going to get a mini-starter to offset some of the weight I added over the nose... because this original unit is friggin' heavy. I should also add that changing the detent cable is a bitch... I switched out the carb'd one or the EFI style from a Turbo Buick as it is noticeably longer (and both cars have forward facing throttle bodies). You'll also notice that there is a cruise control unit under the hood now, I am going to have a little luxury even if I can't have AC right now.
« Last Edit: July 24 2012, 10:22:20 PM by motorhead »
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 27 2012, 09:28:03 AM »
Just placed a call about a used 33lb aluminum propane cylinder from a forklift.

How badass would that be to see in the trunk? ;)
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline $1987 GN$

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 27 2012, 09:32:50 AM »

What; now you are going camping with the car?

AJ___

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 29 2012, 12:05:21 PM »

What; now you are going camping with the car?

AJ___

Grumpy? Is that you, Dan?

---

Okay new question... maybe some of the farmers/engineers out there can help with this one?

I am thinking of using some SAE 100R1AT hydraulic line (3600psi WP) from a company called Pulsar (the part number is 111-03 - http://www.greenlinehose.com/_pdf/pulsar/Hose.pdf on page 6). This doesn't say if it will work with gasoline, it simply states "petroleum based" fluids (which gasoline tends to be).

If you look at the Eaton-Aeroquip catalog it doesn't indicate the application either...
http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1n54v/HoseSectionforMainEa/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thecatalogroom.com%2FEaton-Aeroquip.html - on page 30

However, if you look at this page it does state gasoline as an application (Application: Gasoline, fuel and lubricating oils, air and water.):
http://aeroquip.cc/gh663-04aeroquiphydraulichosesae100r1atgh663-4.aspx

So is this a safe, or unsafe, venture on my part?

As an aside, I don't think that running LPG through this product is going to be an issue.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #70 on: July 29 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
don't see a problem, myself

you can drop them a line and ask for insurance
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 29 2012, 12:38:35 PM »
Same as Steve. Don't see any issues with the hose but contact them for insurance.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 29 2012, 01:06:13 PM »
Roger that. Thanks guys... I'll follow up in the AM.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline $1987 GN$

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 29 2012, 01:30:54 PM »
Dug the book.

AJ___

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 29 2012, 02:44:41 PM »
Thanks, AJ. Looks like I need to read further next time... and it doesn't look like this hose is going to be LPG safe, or at least recommended per pages 351-352.

EDIT: Actually the material is safe, it is the hose the isn't being recommended due to certain hose certifications . http://www.greenlinehose.com/_pdf/hose/14.TechSpecs.pdf#search=%22propane%22 on page 171
« Last Edit: July 29 2012, 02:56:01 PM by motorhead »
>>>Das Instagram<<<

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal