Author Topic: My "All About My Buick" Thread  (Read 72970 times)

Offline I Love Factory ECMs

• GIMP
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: -16
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: My "All About My Buick" Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 13 2012, 04:26:31 PM »
What vendor told you that?
Self Experienced (long story short,3 motors,$30,000,lawsuit won,started over again with XFI unit,problem Gone!) an other GN experts that have hit "the wall",80's ECM aren't made for 600+ hp modern builds,you can try to get it to work,but best to get the right parts in first place, An aftermarket ECM

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 13 2012, 04:33:41 PM »
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #152 on: September 13 2012, 05:31:39 PM »
Your experiences don't seem to match the majority :)  to each his own, I guess
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 13 2012, 11:18:12 PM »
I guess it is a good thing I am not making 600hp yet. 425 if I am lucky.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

• GIMP
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 14 2012, 04:24:13 PM »
I must missed something,i read the first post about your build,Less the i guess bonestock motor an 3:08's,everything else you have should of put you in low 11's...60's series turbo an 83lbsr's on Alky an the rest the additive's an only 12's? With Bonestock motor,still under dealer factory warrenty, i bolted on one 150hp NOS kit an ran 11.99@119 with tall L60 McCeary's,stock chip,19-20psi on NOS. With all your mods an money spent,an aftermarket ECM good investment (only about $3000 an plug right in, in less then hour!) ,Love you ride by the way, in the cornering photo's it's Tight, no slag..
Enjoy!

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 14 2012, 05:25:44 PM »
I must missed something,i read the first post about your build,Less the i guess bonestock motor an 3:08's,everything else you have should of put you in low 11's...60's series turbo an 83lbsr's on Alky an the rest the additive's an only 12's? With Bonestock motor,still under dealer factory warrenty, i bolted on one 150hp NOS kit an ran 11.99@119 with tall L60 McCeary's,stock chip,19-20psi on NOS. With all your mods an money spent,an aftermarket ECM good investment (only about $3000 an plug right in, in less then hour!) ,Love you ride by the way, in the cornering photo's it's Tight, no slag..
Enjoy!

Okay we aren't exactly comparing apples to apples here. Yes, the engine is a stone stock 100K+mile long block with the original head gaskets and bearings (a few seals and valve springs had been replaced 10 years ago)... and it went 11.90 on low profile DRs thank you very much. ;) A lot of the "money spent" was on the concept of keeping it together (no knock and a 11:1 AFR), and to date I have been pretty successful at not fragging this 25 year old lump. And also as you stated the car doesn't subscribe to any traditional suspension formula, which leaves a lot of performance potential on the table.

I am hoping to run the car again in October with some good air and the taller drag radials to see what it can do.

Glad you are enjoying the thread.  :icon_eyes:
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

• GIMP
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 14 2012, 05:42:53 PM »
My car Suspenionaly set-up as well,Aerospace Prostreet Disk brakes all round (9" in the back) BMR full set control arms upper/lower front rear,Q1A's custom rated coil over all around,28mm rear sway,22mm front adjustable on hime joints,Urethane bushing in frame an All suspension components ,less a Bronze Bushing in upper rear passenger side A-Arm bushing (They melt due to downpipes),all frame bracing including the weld in on the rear lower's with 16 gauge steel rearseat firewall (to save my a-pillar from cracking my paint) It's lowerd 1 1/2" in front an 2" in the rear running 295/40-18's in back an 255/40-18 in front Falken Anzenis r615's   8^)   I fire it up again for first time next week (knocking on wood) the builds in the central FL section,motors a whole other story...;^) Enjoy!

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 14 2012, 06:19:34 PM »
My car Suspenionaly set-up as well,Aerospace Prostreet Disk brakes all round (9" in the back) BMR full set control arms upper/lower front rear,Q1A's custom rated coil over all around,28mm rear sway,22mm front adjustable on hime joints,Urethane bushing in frame an All suspension components ,less a Bronze Bushing in upper rear passenger side A-Arm bushing (They melt due to downpipes),all frame bracing including the weld in on the rear lower's with 16 gauge steel rearseat firewall (to save my a-pillar from cracking my paint) It's lowerd 1 1/2" in front an 2" in the rear running 295/40-18's in back an 255/40-18 in front Falken Anzenis r615's   8^)   I fire it up again for first time next week (knocking on wood) the builds in the central FL section,motors a whole other story...;^) Enjoy!

Um... okay. But, why are you plugging your car in my thread? I mean there is a certain irony in this given I created this thread to avoid doing the same to others... but, still I find it a little odd. And believe it or not I am well aware of your car and the "money spent". I am just not sure if in this dick measuring contest I want to pull mine all the way out or not?  :chin:
>>>Das Instagram<<<

• GIMP
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 14 2012, 06:49:24 PM »

Um... okay. But, why are you plugging your car in my thread? I mean there is a certain irony in this given I created this thread to avoid doing the same to others... but, still I find it a little odd. And believe it or not I am well aware of your car and the "money spent". I am just not sure if in this dick measuring contest I want to pull mine all the way out or not?  :chin:

Just passing on some useful info for later in your build, But that's cool,I'm gone

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 15 2012, 09:08:37 AM »
Hey... no harm. Just curious is all.

I do suppose the specs on my suspension aren't very detailed in this thread.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 22 2012, 07:33:16 PM »
Well she is all ready to go for the last auto-x of the season. Had to fix a broken exhaust hanger... seems to be getting around?
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 22 2012, 08:33:56 PM »
Looks like I have one as well
Steve Wood

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 23 2012, 02:16:27 AM »
Me too. (and a new current draw that killing my battery)
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 23 2012, 09:18:02 AM »
I always start by disconnecting all connectors on the delay relay, but I suspect you made that "improvement" many years ago. 

I guess you verified that you do have a draw and did not assume the new battery is good.
Steve Wood

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 26 2012, 08:50:52 PM »
From Sunday...
>>>Das Instagram<<<

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal