Author Topic: EPA to ban the conversion of street cars into racecars  (Read 2428 times)

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
EPA to ban the conversion of street cars into racecars
« on: February 09 2016, 03:25:46 PM »
WASHINGTON -- An EPA proposal to slash greenhouse gas emissions by medium and heavy duty vehicles would also ban the conversion of street cars into racecars, with far-reaching effects on auto racing and the aftermarket parts industry.
The Specialty Equipment Market Association, a trade group representing automotive aftermarket companies, said in a statement late Monday that the EPA’s proposal would also make the sale of certain emissions-related parts used on racecars that were originally street cars illegal.
SEMA says it and other affected stakeholders will work to oppose the EPA’s proposed ban.
"This proposed regulation represents overreaching by the agency, runs contrary to the law and defies decades of racing activity where EPA has acknowledged and allowed conversion of vehicles," SEMA CEO Chris Kersting said in a statement. "Congress did not intend the original Clean Air Act to extend to vehicles modified for racing and has re-enforced that intent on more than one occasion."
Historically, cars used exclusively for racing have not been held to the same emissions standards as road-going cars, even racecars that were converted from models sold in dealerships.
Catalytic converters and other emissions equipment are often removed from road cars that are converted for auto racing competitions.
The EPA’s proposal would thwart those modifications by prohibiting the removal or tampering with emissions equipment on passenger cars, even if they are intended to convert a road car purely for racing. Those who make such modifications would be subject to penalties under the proposal.
“The EPA has never implemented a policy making it illegal for certified vehicles to become competition-use only vehicles,” Stephen McDonald, vice president of government affairs for SEMA, said in a Dec. 28 statement on the proposal. “Such a policy would overturn decades of understanding within the regulated community and expose that community to unfair findings of noncompliance and civil penalties.”
The ban is included in a single paragraph of the agency’s 629-page proposal to set 2021-2027 medium- and heavy-vehicle greenhouse gas targets. It was published in the Federal Register in July.
SEMA says the ban on road-to-racecar conversions is outside the scope of the EPA’s heavy truck proposal. The group also says that the agency failed to adequately notify the public of the proposal.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline 1 RARE T

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 2
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: EPA to ban the conversion of street cars into racecars
« Reply #1 on: February 09 2016, 03:40:40 PM »
Well, Mr. inspector the engine in this car is not original so blow me.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09 2016, 07:03:04 PM »
Yeah, that EPA needs to have their funding pulled and be disbanded. They are far over stepping their intent and need to stop with the crap they are trying to pull. Just like that Obama care crap. We need to pass it to find out what's in it, what a crock of $h\t.
« Last Edit: February 09 2016, 08:48:09 PM by TexasT »
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11 2016, 04:04:07 PM »
I think the EPA is after the diesel guys.  I know for a fact that they sent a letter to H & S who make the mini maxx tuner for diesel applications.   Had it on my dodge... with an EGR delete and DPF delete.  Went from 12.8 miles to the gallon to a little over 18 after installing the kit.  They no longer make the tuner for sale in the US.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Be4u

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/400586
« Reply #5 on: February 11 2016, 05:55:23 PM »
Went from 12.8 miles to the gallon to a little over 18 after installing the kit.
dayum!
Save the bumper fillers!
Move to Canadia!

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline tb3

• Turbo Street Eliminator