Author Topic: Spark plugs and anti-seize  (Read 5237 times)

Offline bryes

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost 17 psi
    • View Profile
Re: Spark plugs and anti-seize
« Reply #15 on: June 22 2013, 04:23:03 PM »
WOW, I hadn't even dolloped my diapers 'til halfway through the seventies :cheers:
'87 T-Top GN, 51k (151K?) mostly stock, freshened engine, 206 / 206 cam, adjustable waste gate link, 42 lb inj., TT chip, scanmaster, boost & fp gauge, hotwire, 17 psi

Offline Bob-Lob-Law

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06 2013, 05:34:38 PM »
During my Navy days working on the flight deck of carriers, while putting the steam catapults back together, we used a metric ton of anti-seize.  The copper or nickel would remain on the threads long after the oil and grease would burn off.  The softer metal would act as a lubricant when it was time to tear apart the equipment allowing the bolts break loose.  While the extreme temperatures and salt water would still rust the crap out of the bolts, we were able to get 90% of the bolts apart.  This practice has remained with me and when I put my engine back together there would be a good bit of smoke burning off of the bolts from the anti-seize after I started the car. 

As for the plugs, I use die electric on the threads.  Hasn't done any harm so far.

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06 2013, 09:25:11 PM »
Ironic that this thread came up today. I just did a tune up on a 4.6 ford with 15K on the clock and original plugs. I was afraid that I would be stripping at least 1 plug out but all of them came out, fussing all the way. A small amount of anti seize was used on the plugs which helped them to go back in easier and next time they'll come out easier. :rock:
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal