Author Topic: Ice Storm  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Ice Storm
« on: December 22 2008, 12:46:58 AM »
These are pics taken with my pocket camera from the ice storm we had a week ago Thursday. My brother works for the local utility company and hasn't been home since it started.
Rob

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Storm
« Reply #1 on: December 22 2008, 12:55:17 AM »
This storm set a record with approximately 400,000 NH residents without power.
I don't know what the stats for Massachusetts and Maine were. I have friends who still don't have power that are relying on generators to run the minimal necessities.
Schools have been used for shelters and have been closed to students since. I went into Home Depot with SuCkA a week ago Friday, and there were people there
"camped" on the orange carts waiting for the next truckload of generators. I've never seen anything like it. The noise the tree made as it went through my shed
woke me from a sound sleep at 5am !
Rob

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22 2008, 12:57:42 AM »
here are some more...
Rob

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22 2008, 01:07:01 AM »
In the past I have volunteered through the local ham radio group to help with things like this. But this was the first time that I've ever seen the National Guard dispatched. They were actually repairing downed power lines. They had a few special groups with old utility company trucks and Huvees that were painted white.

At one point, I saw them come through my neighborhood in a personel carrying style camo humvee, being followed by a New England Cable News minivan.
Luckily I have a wood stove and was only without power for a day and a half, and afterwards without water for a day. Cable TV was out for 2.5 days, so I don't know
if the cable news people were talkin' shit about my neighborhood or not.
Rob

Offline Zap

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22 2008, 08:19:13 AM »
Last Winter we had trees down around here, no power, etc. They threatened to fine the power companies if it happened again, so this summer the tree cutters were everywhere trimming and cutting away. Sorry to see crap like that.

My Christmas card will cheer you up.  :supz:
You can't get sweet shit outta a sour asshole

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
Ice Storm
« Reply #5 on: December 22 2008, 11:07:07 AM »
Ice storms can be a real bitch when they knock out power.   Then you wish you had a generator.
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22 2008, 12:37:15 PM »
My brother called me early this morning and said if they're lucky, they'll
be home for Christmas. Yesterday they had a substation go down bringing the number of people withoput power up again. And the 15" of snow we got this weekend hasn't helped things either. My GN is now an igloo...
Rob

Offline TSM Girl

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22 2008, 02:30:09 PM »
Hope all is well with you and your family.  Seems like since we left Chicago, they too are getting hit hard.     Hang in there, Winter has just started.
Donna

"Stupid people should NOT breed!"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal