Author Topic: precision temp probes for power logger or freestanding  (Read 3272 times)

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
precision temp probes for power logger or freestanding
« on: June 13 2013, 01:46:23 AM »
These were actually supposed to go on my roof mounted solar hot top/house heater (that you can see from space :) ) until I realized they are perfect for data logging on my GN.

Self conatined harness with an easy 4 wire hookup. If using a powerlogger all four wires go to the aux block. (+, -, temp1, temp2)

If using it freestanding, it's hot, ground, and whatever voltage display you want. If it's a racecar this harness can be powered with a 9 volt battery for months.

It's reads to .1* accurate to +/-1*. in either (F)ahrenheit or (C)anadian. I'll send you the .ini mods to get get them to read like in the powerlogger screengrab below.

This harness can allow you to do groovy stuff like this...

$50 shipped
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: precision temp probes for power logger or freestanding
« Reply #1 on: June 13 2013, 09:43:03 AM »
Bob says the + on the PL is for extremely low current devices because of the size of the circuitry in the device and normally suggests uses a more robust device.

Neat sensor!
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13 2013, 10:20:45 AM »
LM35 ?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13 2013, 12:34:35 PM »
Bob says the + on the PL is for extremely low current devices because of the size of the circuitry in the device and normally suggests uses a more robust device.

Neat sensor!

These are EXTREMELY low current devices. If you put any kind of load on them, they will 'splode!  :)

They have to be low draw to avoid self heating and skewing the output. They're rated at 70uA each. 

They really are neat. I just don't like thermistors and these are way more accurate and easier to read.  Since they have a voltage output instead of variable impedance, it's a lot easier for me to use them. I've got them logging shit all over my house and hottub.  (and my Buicks fluid temps. lol)

I kept thinking about these evertime I see one of those 'should I run an oil cooler threads'.  Oddly enough I've never seen anyone quote an actual temp when deciding if they needed to screw with their temps.
« Last Edit: June 13 2013, 12:39:11 PM by earlbrown »
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13 2013, 12:40:47 PM »
LM35 ?

They're in that family.   

Aren't you well versed in electronics?  I might need to send you a schematic of a comparator circuit I designed.  I used a comparator to do the comparative but I'm thinking I should have just used an op-amp and hammered it.

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14 2013, 08:57:05 AM »
I've always admitted I'm the dummy around here , but I'll take a look.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 14 2013, 09:27:17 AM »
You need to quit listening to AJ
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal