Author Topic: Batteries  (Read 6196 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Batteries
« on: November 29 2012, 03:02:22 PM »
While looking at various battery options, I discovered that the Sears Platinum series is the same as the Odyssey battery which is generally regarded as one of the better AGM batteries.  It's not cheap at $200 but Sears sometimes puts them on sale for 25% off which is a bit better.  The warranty is very attractive at four years full replacement and then proration out to 100 months.

Johnson Controls which is one of the larger battery manufacturers bought Optima a number of years ago.  The Optima reputation has really tanked over the past few years and the warranty is for only three years now.  Optima production was moved to Mexico in 2008 which is about the time they changed the warranty.  I would not be surprised to see a correlation between the the two.

I believe Johnson has started making the rest of the Die Hard line, but, not the Platinum series which is an EnerSys.

East Penn or Deka seems to make well regarded batteries as well.

There are some maps out there that show average battery life versus temperature and I definitely live in the wrong part of the country as battery life is projected to be about half what it is up north.  Some batteries are made with less, but heavier, plates for longer hot weather life. 
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
Re: Batteries
« Reply #1 on: November 29 2012, 03:52:35 PM »
I like Autozone Gold batteries. I change my batteries in the daily drivers every 4 years. regardless of condition. WalMart has good batteries too, and good pricing.

I like Interstate - too pricey for me though.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29 2012, 04:55:35 PM »
think Autozone's are made by Johnson Controls.  I have one that is four years old at the moment.  Walmart changes suppliers frequently and the best thing about them is their willingness to honor the warranty.  I know several that buy them for that reason.  Interstates are made by Johnson Controls as well.

JC is the largest battery manufacturer.

The good Autozone battery has a good warranty as well...think it extends to 96 months with three or four year full.  Hard to beat for not much more than $100

When the Diehards were so bad, I believe Exide was making them...now the regular ones are JC again....
Steve Wood

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29 2012, 05:01:04 PM »
Surprisingly, I rescued the old, dry battery that was in the GN when I bought it. From what I can tell, the car hasn't run for ~4 years.

It's date code is 2007. I put a trickle charger on it, it came back.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30 2012, 11:31:06 AM »
I just replaced the delco in the sunfire, I believe it was the original (2004).  :O

Never found the GN to be hard on batteries. Costco (Johnson?) are cost effective.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30 2012, 02:57:07 PM »
far as I know, AC Delco is purely a brand name these days.  Aftermarket Delco parts are often pretty shoddy when compared to oem parts.  I think Johnson makes some of the Delcos but I did not go look up the list.  Costco is also Johnson at the moment, I believe
Steve Wood

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30 2012, 06:29:57 PM »
I buy Autozone Gold for all of my cars for the last 14 years and recommend them.
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline Iownagn-gs

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02 2012, 08:26:46 PM »
I've been using Interstate for sev years now and they are pretty good at honoring their warranty.  I went to buy some more paint at Sears at Penn Center last week only to learn all Sears stores quit selling paint about three months ago.  Also, this Sears is going belly up Jan. 1st and a Walmart will be born.  And, from the buzz, quite a few Sears and K-Marts are taking the bullet.  So, good luck on finding a Sears battery in the near future :(

Offline alradco

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03 2012, 04:44:39 PM »
My truck has dual optimas and one went bad after only 3 years. Seems like the Costco or Sams Club batteries hold up pretty well.

Offline Recap

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04 2012, 08:33:05 PM »
Another vote for the Autozone Duralast Gold.  I am on my second battery in my GN in 25 years!  The Duralast was put in some time in the mid 90's after the Delco finally died.  It even survived 5 years in storage. 

Offline Scott87

• Bone Stock
  • Boost Tube
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Batteries
« Reply #10 on: December 04 2012, 09:29:53 PM »
3 years for a daily driver doesn't sound good at all.

My truck has dual optimas and one went bad after only 3 years. Seems like the Costco or Sams Club batteries hold up pretty well.

Posted From Tapatalk

Offline tb3

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05 2012, 09:54:11 PM »
I wonder what the amp draw on a stock gn is when the key  is off?
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11 2012, 03:13:19 AM »
Any links to battery information and comparisons.   
I was in a hurry and had to buy a battery a few months back and ended up with one from advance.  I have always had good luck with batteries, no issues, this one I forgot about and left it outside and it froze so it was my fault.  Anyways maybe I am just used to the battries from up north but the replacement that I purchased felt like it weighed half as much as the old one.  it also cost more 2x as much. 

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11 2012, 10:39:34 AM »
There are only a couple of major manufacturers of batteries.  Johnson Controls seem to be better considered, but, they make most of them in Mexico these days...so looking at the warranties may as good a means as any when buying.

Optimas are twice the price of others, and, altho made by Johnson, seem to have a bad rep on the net in the past few years.

The Duralast Golds from Autozone carry a 8 year warranty with a four year full replacement for a bit over $100.  Several people here have had good luck with them.  I have one that is four years old in one of my cars.

In the AGM style, rather than Optima, the DieHard Platinum from Sears is normally in the $200 range but it is made by EnerSys and is considered to be identical to the Odyssey which is made in the same factory in Missouri.  It has a slightly longer guarantee than the Duralast Gold.

The AGM should really be charged with a higher tech charger for best performance but many don't.  AGM have no liquid in them and may have a few minor associated benefits, but, it would be hard to look anyone in the eye and say this is way better than a conventional battery beyond that feature.

There are a jillion battery articles online, but, I have not found anything earth shattering about any of them other than what I have just now restated.
Steve Wood

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11 2012, 10:41:33 AM »
I wonder what the amp draw on a stock gn is when the key  is off?

A few milliamps...I have had varying luck measuring it and it would vary depending if the car had an alarm and what kinda radio memory.  It is not nearly as bad as a modern Vette, or such.
Steve Wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal