Author Topic: Sharpton Jackson and Imus  (Read 8083 times)

DCEPTCN

Re: Sharpton Jackson and Imus
« Reply #15 on: April 14 2007, 10:42:16 PM »
I just read the sister-thread to this on tbs....that really is an icky disaster. Obviously there was a HUGE misunderstandi ng. I hope everybody can still play friendly. Yikes.

DCEPTCN

« Reply #16 on: April 14 2007, 11:01:18 PM »
Robert, I read the thread and I really think you were a bit...over the top. Steve's a hell of a guy as far as I can tell and I feel like I 'get' what he was communicating. You know I've got plenty of respect for you, too- but maybe you and Steve should iron out that TRAINWRECK of a post-volley.

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
« Reply #17 on: April 14 2007, 11:23:05 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Wood"
I would have bet good money that if your daughter was on on the team, and he (Imus) humorously referred to the team as a rough lookin' bunch of slope headed chinks, you (Artie) would have been after a piece of him.

Artie was defending Imus by saying it was freedom of speech. Artie is Chinese and he's also very Right wing. SO, Wood post that to see how he would like it if Imus said that, knowing damn well Artie would kick his (Imus's) ass, being a retired NYPD Lt and all.

Robert, you came out like this:

Quote from: "Be4U"
Steve, is that the way you feel? I cant believe you said that let alone compare it to what Imus said.

I'm currently mad at the blacks and whites. This race crap is BS and I'm stuck in the middle.

And Wood comes back like this:

Quote from: "Steve Wood"
I simply put it in context.  Is it right to condone Imus' remarks as free speech as long as they were aimed at blacks...or does one condone his right to make similar remarks no matter at whom they are aimed?

If my daughter was on the team, I would like to have the opportunity to acquaint myself with the guy.

His remarks were wrong no matter whom the target.  I gather you think it was okay to make racist remarks against a black group, but, you have problems with making similar remarks against Chinese?  How about Jews?  Indians?  Let me know which are on your okay list.

You THEN contradict yourself here:

Quote from: "Be4U"
You didnt put it into context. There not even close. The words you used describe asians in slang. Very rude racial slang. Nappy headed hos is rude slang but it isnt directed at one race, but it is directed at women.

I support free speech. The guy that wants to kill white people, I just roll my eyes and call him a douche. I figure, he cant hurt me, what does he matter?

This isnt the olden days Steve. You cant just go out and whoop someones ass. It would be nice...but you cant. You just have to look over peoples remarks and ignore them. Free speech. You may not like it but without it we wouldnt have America.

His remarks wernt WRONG. No one got hurt. The remarks wernt racist. Nappy and Ho arnt raciest words and I'm not going to let anyone make me think they are.

If Imus would have said nappy headed "n", I would have a different opinion and your comment would be correct but not ok.
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline Be4u

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/400586
Sharpton Jackson and Imus
« Reply #18 on: April 14 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
Aww man, Nobody sees where I'm comming from?

Now I'm contradicting myself. The issue it too huge to have everything ironed out. Bottom line is, we need to start somewhere and stop using thoes words. Since race is the main issue here we can start with that...disresp ecting women is next. Cant fix all problems in a few sentences so pointing out a contradiction is like jumping the line.
Save the bumper fillers!
Move to Canadia!

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
« Reply #19 on: April 14 2007, 11:44:48 PM »
There's more to it than that man. Let me do what Steve Wood did, to myself.

If Imus called them filthy beaners, how would I feel? Or my mom? Or my sister?

^ That's my example. Does that make me a racist by using an example of real terms and words that are used? You didn't understand that the term 'nappy' was used a long time ago as a bad term to describe blacks. You also didn't know that Artie was Chinese and him and Wood are tight. So you came in and not knowing these two important things, you totally dropped the ball. I really can't make it any clearer than that. I PM'd you, told you what was going on, trying to save you some face. Instead, you ended up digging yourself a hole. I know you have good intentions, but fuck, ask questions first man. And I do believe you owe an apology to Steve Wood and Zap.
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

DCEPTCN

« Reply #20 on: April 14 2007, 11:48:15 PM »
I can't dance and have a tiny pecker. Oh, and maternal g-parents were apparently Nazi sympathizers back in Germany. I suck.

I felt like I needed to berate myself.

Offline Be4u

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15 2007, 04:15:39 AM »
So, instead of Steve simply saying "what if they would have called your daughter something similar" his friend wouldnt have been able to understand that or put it into context himself? Steve had to go all out and put it in simple terms for Artie?

What about a board browser comming across that thread. Are they expected to know Steve and Artie are friends?

Respect for friends goes out the window...even when said publically?
Save the bumper fillers!
Move to Canadia!

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15 2007, 09:53:44 AM »
Quote from: "DCEPTCN @ Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:01 pm"
Robert, I read the thread and I really think you were a bit...over the top. Steve's a hell of a guy as far as I can tell and I feel like I 'get' what he was communicating. You know I've got plenty of respect for you, too- but maybe you and Steve should iron out that TRAINWRECK of a post-volley.

Unbelieveably, I have to agree with Sylvan on this one.
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline Ttype83

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15 2007, 09:56:06 AM »
Robert he did type it as a exmaple and every one got it, I'm willing to bet that some lurker would see it the same way if they didn't know Steve or Artie.

OK now to make fun of you (because we care)

You tanged with a OLD Fart twice your age and got your ass handed to you.
Good life leason...watch out for Old Guys that know alot and know how to debate.

Old Farts 1 ,  Youngens 0     :rofl;
Jim Seaton 83 T type
CarbedHotAir Slug
2 1/2\" mandrel bent dual exh wo/cat & Dynomax race bullet mufflers, MSD coil, MSD BTM,K&N filter, K hanger, CS secondaries, Comp cam 260H, BRF Trans, ET 14.8 @ 92mph 14 psi boost
Comp Cams will never get another dime of my money
USAF (retired w/22yrs)
86 T-type Stock IC & Turbo, Razor Alky, 50lb inj, Hotwire & fuel pump, tt chip

Offline kma697

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15 2007, 10:07:23 AM »
I usually stay out of all the political (racial too)bullshit!!!  Trash is trash whether white black or other.  Everybody has a different way of looking at things and usually believes it whole heartedly, nobody will change opinions you just wind up getting worked up for nothing.  Simply put FUCK Imus, Sharpton and Jackson!!  Thats my .02cents. :yawinkle:
DSR #420
89 TTA #602
89 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert.
03 Cobra

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15 2007, 04:30:33 PM »
Wow. all this went on while I wasn't around.

Heres something to look at:
What makes a word offensive ?

I say that people decide or choose which words or phrases offend them.

(Keep in mind that these are examples)
Blacks have decided that words like, Nigger, spook, Jigaboo, etc offend them.
Especially when used by non blacks. This dates back to the days of slavery and
then followed up by years of racial oppression. But in many cases (not all), they condone the use of such words by other blacks. The terms mentioned have not
changed, only the choice to be offended by them has changed.

Again women have endured similar trials, just not to the extremes that blacks have.
Many are offended, by terms like, Cunt, bitch, ho, slut, douche, etc...
Not all women are bothered by these words because they choose not to be bothered
by them.

Smart people have had to endure brutal words like, Geek, bookworm, nerd etc...
Is anyone seeing the pattern here ?

Immigrants, have their own set of chosen words alike. Beaner, Pollock, Spic,
Spaghetti Bender, Limey, Canuk, Chink, Slope, Gerry, etc...(depending on their
particular country of origin.)

Simply not saying such words, will never put an end to this problem for a few reasons:
1) Other words will be created to replace them.
2) Removing such words has no affect on the sentiment behind them.
3) The currently accepted terms will recieve negative conoctations from those
    that choose to be offended by the group that they represent.

The best way to help solve this problem would be to disempower words that are classified to be offensive. This is best done, by choosing not to let such words
offend you.

Take the word "Fuck" for example. When I was a kid, I'd be punished if I were caught using it. Although it was commonplace, and used by many.
And there were other words that were treated in very much the same way, as
george Carlin so eloquently displayed for us in his "Seven words that you can't say
on TV" routine. Why was I punished? Because, my parents made the choice that
the word "Fuck" would be considered offensive. This only made the word "Fuck" more attractive, because of its taboo aura. I quickly shared such words with my friends, so they too could be punished for using them.  :snakeman:
Nowadays, it seems that only the FCC and elderly people are offended by it. To
everybody else, its no big fucking deal.

Simply put; if you belittle the words, you belittle their cause for existance.
Rob

Offline kma697

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15 2007, 04:52:24 PM »
Exactly RR just like the old saying about sticks and stones!!  I'm  only offended by "baldy" :sad; and my kid callin me "fat boy" :atbeer:  But I have lost 20lbs so she won't be saying that much longer.
DSR #420
89 TTA #602
89 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert.
03 Cobra

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15 2007, 06:41:03 PM »
I'm offended by people who tell me that they're raising my taxes to
pay for some program that gives money to people who don't deserve it.

I'm offended by people who want to take away my constitutional rights
to make themselves feel happy or safe.

I'm offended when a bar tender tells me that they don't have any Jager left.

Other than that, I'm rather thick skinned.
Rob

Offline Racer X

• Turbo Street Eliminator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hotrodbuick.com
« Reply #28 on: April 15 2007, 08:00:32 PM »
Wow, I leave you guys without adult supervision for one weekend and....
2008 Charger SRT-8
2009 Challenger R/T
any questions?

Offline Be4u

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15 2007, 08:27:04 PM »
Y'all are nuts. Most want racism to end. But we continue to use the words. That dont make since. Racism will never die. Condoning someone else using the words is nuts too. Anyone can say whatever they want, as many times as they want, but if your going to say that racist words are wrong, you shouldnt use them yourself.

I'm going to stand my ground but I'm done talking about it. I know what I see and I dont like it....my problem.

Maybe I get out too much and have contact with too many people. Today I had Jewish, white and Indian people at my table at one time. Everyone got along, high fivin' and shit. Life was good! The Jewish guys tipped me well, as did the Indian. So much for the myth the old guys are passing down to us. Jewish dont seem cheap to me.
Save the bumper fillers!
Move to Canadia!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal