Author Topic: Differential Pinion Gear Shaft removal  (Read 5083 times)

Offline Bob-Lob-Law

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Differential Pinion Gear Shaft removal
« on: March 15 2014, 04:18:09 PM »
I'm trying to remove my rear axles in order to replace the axle seals.  Problem is, the pinion gear shaft is pretty pooched and I cannot get the damn thing out.  I have knocked it out about two inches but had to turn the pin around so it doesn't get stuck inside the housing.  I have had no progress pulling the pin the rest of the way out.  Does anyone have any advice on getting this pin out? 

I appreciate all advice.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Differential Pinion Gear Shaft removal
« Reply #1 on: March 15 2014, 04:25:09 PM »
Knock it out the back with a dead blow hammer and a brass punch.  :icon_eyes:
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Bob-Lob-Law

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15 2014, 05:48:06 PM »
Is there enough room to do that?  I guess I should have mentioned that I'm doing this inplace with the car's rear end on jack stands and the drive shaft and all still on. 

Offline PacecarTA

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 2
  • im not a newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15 2014, 08:03:40 PM »
the pin (cross bolt)  should have slid right out , it never should require a hammer

did you remove the entire cross pin retainer bolt , the 5/16 headed one??

the retainer bolt should have a thin pin end thats as long as the threaded end and the  head .   its common for the pin end to snap at the last thread
 its not too difficult to remove but you need to be soft and spin it out with a pick .... if you tried to beat the cross pin through with the broken tip still in place ..you are in a bad place now as the cross pin is probably mushroomed on the end and stuck in the spider gear which now is preventing the rotation of the carrier and the removal of pin which is holding the axles so you cant pop the center section out

the fix from where you are requires a cutting torch to open the carrier enough to remove the spider gear with pin , then you can remove axles and get the junk diferential out , .. you will need to thouroughly wash out the axle and will need a new differential

« Last Edit: March 15 2014, 08:12:30 PM by PacecarTA »
Paul   Magnabuick.com ..NJ rep
86GN pump gas 93/alky 109, iron heads, stock mains, no girdle  9.72 @139
best 1/8 6.13 @ 112 ,best mph 144
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSKzv7ej7Cc
87 GN TTop 109 ,93/alky , 9.82 @ 139 20.6psi , best 1/8th 6.18@113.2
87 GnX'd 
87 GN TTop..stock as can b

Offline Bob-Lob-Law

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15 2014, 08:27:37 PM »
PacecarTA, yes, I removed the retainer bolt.  The pin end didn't snap and came out rather easily.  However, I can tell that this shaft is pretty old and has been through a lot.  The two inches that I have gotten out shows that the pin is very rough and gouged.  I'm thinking that the pin has seen a lot of races. 

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to cut the two inches that I have already been able to get out, then rotate the differential so I can use a punch to bang more of the pin out, then rotate and see where I'm at. 

Any thoughts???

Offline PacecarTA

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 2
  • im not a newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15 2014, 08:36:47 PM »
did you try a pry bar to get the pin back
Paul   Magnabuick.com ..NJ rep
86GN pump gas 93/alky 109, iron heads, stock mains, no girdle  9.72 @139
best 1/8 6.13 @ 112 ,best mph 144
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSKzv7ej7Cc
87 GN TTop 109 ,93/alky , 9.82 @ 139 20.6psi , best 1/8th 6.18@113.2
87 GnX'd 
87 GN TTop..stock as can b

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15 2014, 09:44:20 PM »
PacecarTA, yes, I removed the retainer bolt.  The pin end didn't snap and came out rather easily.  However, I can tell that this shaft is pretty old and has been through a lot.  The two inches that I have gotten out shows that the pin is very rough and gouged.  I'm thinking that the pin has seen a lot of races. 

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to cut the two inches that I have already been able to get out, then rotate the differential so I can use a punch to bang more of the pin out, then rotate and see where I'm at. 

Any thoughts???

Like I said: Knock. It. Out.

If it is as bad as you say it is, and I know I have had one just as bad (that got chewed up and stuck), you aren't going to get it out by whispering sweet-nothings in its ear.

I would recommend that you drive it out toward the pin side as it may have a slight taper to it.  Plus, you can use the hole in the pin to rig up a puller against.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Bob-Lob-Law

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29 2014, 06:57:04 PM »
Well, finally got that pin out.  I had to cut it out piece by piece.  It was pretty pooched too.  Turned out the entire rear end is pooched; axles, bearings, seals, you name it.  Full rebuild is in the works.  Thanks for all the advice.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal