Author Topic: Planning for the End of the World...  (Read 2227 times)

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
Planning for the End of the World...
« on: November 28 2013, 03:27:32 PM »
With the world getting weirder and weirder I have begun thinking about short term survival.

I am considering building a generator out of an internal combustion engine converted to run on natural gas.  The idea here is to have sufficient power to run my household during extended periods (ie. brown/black outs).

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of project?
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: Planning for the End of the World...
« Reply #1 on: November 29 2013, 05:19:49 PM »
Where will you get the natural gas and how will you store it? I guess your home has it piped in but if the apocalypse comes it wont be coming through the pipe very long. I think just buying a genset that already runs on Natural Gas is a better idea than trying to convert one. Then having a generator that runs on diesel as a back up. Then you can hit semi trucks and construction equipment for fuel.

My bigger fear was drinkable water for the long term. SO i bought a house with a pool. Wont last forever but 25k gallons will last for a while. Then comes food. Not sure what there will be out there but I think I can skin it, salt it and have it for winter. Rock salt in the closet. Beside my tin foil hat. Weapons and ammo separate as I didn't want them corroding.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29 2013, 07:19:24 PM »
The technology already exists.  My moms new beach house as a huge generator that runs on natural gas or LP. It's a Hyundai 4cyl coupled to a monster of a generator. There's a buried 500 gallon tank and some computerized stuff that monitors the grid.
  If grid power drops to 65% or below, the generator fires up and runs the house. After 20+ minutes of >80% it'll hook back up to the grid. If it ever drops down again, the generator says 'fuck it', disconnects from the grid and powers the house.

Its rated tol run 950,000 50W light bulbs. I'm thinking about stealing it and the steam generator in the attic.

'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29 2013, 07:51:41 PM »
We've got a diesel powered generator and since we're in an area that has some decent wind I can rig it as a wind powered one. Dig a deep place (cellar) that stays cool for storage and protection. Bait put around the area so animals will start visiting your yard. We've got goats, deer, squirrels, rabbits, ferral hogs, a decent sized pond, and 2 large lakes near us so fish and water are available. We also have a well if we need it. Plenty of nut and fruit trees as well as a garden for veggies. Dried food stuffs are your friend for storage. Beans may get boring after a while but they keep for a really long time just like feed corn, wheat, oats, barley, and other grains.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30 2013, 02:11:40 PM »
The goal here is to put together a simple system to sustain the house for a week or less assuming the natural gas keeps flowing.

I am thinking of using the Buick 3.8L that is in my new Monte... it is just a question of choosing the right parts to make it all happen.

Because I don't have enough projects already.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01 2013, 09:49:16 AM »
* SuperSix plans to go to Texas
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01 2013, 02:41:13 PM »
I plan on going to Earl's mom's house!
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01 2013, 03:03:11 PM »
Earl's been trying to do that same thing for the last two weeks!!   I need to port some timing covers and it's just too cold here in GA. lol
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal