Author Topic: won't start after front seal repair  (Read 25184 times)

Offline poppy1440

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Re: won't start after front seal repair
« Reply #60 on: February 28 2015, 10:27:55 AM »
Getting ready to go drilling for oil and I'm not gonna stop til my helper says the guage is moving its moving.
Thanks
86 gn. Champion irons, roller cam,stock location stretch intercooler, 3" exhaust," DP, scan master, red Armstrong  pump hot wired,  60 lbs injectors, Razors' alky kit, 6265, 6.0 chip, powerlogger, plx-afr, mt 275/50r15 et street

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #61 on: February 28 2015, 11:23:38 AM »
good luck!
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline poppy1440

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28 2015, 05:56:17 PM »
Update.

My helper from yesterday must have been blind because as soon as I started turning the drill my son said it's moving dad,  and I did verify the gauge had oil pressure.

Verified cylinder #1 was on compression stroke, went 25atdc installed and plugged in cam sensor following instructions on cam sensor setting tool and tightened cam sensor hold down bolt.

Installed and plugged in new crank sensor in proper slot and confirmed that there is at least a plastic bottle thickness on both sides of sensor on all of the relucter wheels.

Set plugs to a tight 35 gap and installed plugs and plug wires.

Installed new coil and module confirming that they were connected properly. checked all of the connections to the module and all of the pins and connectors look good.

Confirmed that firing order is correct.   Triple checked.  lol

Fixed loose connection to the bulb in dash and it comes on now when the key is turned forward.

Check connections at the ecm.

Confirmed I have fuel pressure at the fuel pressure gauge.

Confirmed injector pulse using noid light.

Triple checked my spark plugs and confirmed the coil is wired

Confirmed plugs or firing by removing plugs and having someone turn ignition and fire is jumping across tip of plugs.

Went and got five more gallons of gas just incase gauge was off.

Re-connected the orange ecm wire at the battery

Car Will Not start.  pulled new plugs and they are extremely wet.

is there a plug that I may  have left off that I can't see.

gonna walk away and go take family out for dinner.

86 gn. Champion irons, roller cam,stock location stretch intercooler, 3" exhaust," DP, scan master, red Armstrong  pump hot wired,  60 lbs injectors, Razors' alky kit, 6265, 6.0 chip, powerlogger, plx-afr, mt 275/50r15 et street

Offline 278CIKILLER

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 28 2015, 07:15:53 PM »
Witch  way are the cam sensor wires pointing? Can you take pics of this. Can you describe how you put the cam sensor in and time it thank's.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28 2015, 07:26:32 PM »
Trust me, I know how frustrated it is to do all the work you did and still no engine start. :013:

Now that you enjoy your diner and claim down, is there anyway of you having another ECM since reading back on
« Reply #24 on: February 22 2015, 10:10:27 PM », you claimed you got your back from Eric at turbo tweak who made some repairs to my power logger.
Is there anyway of disconnecting and/or remove the power logger board to see if that might be the problem. From what you have written of replacing just about everything the only thing might be the ECM itself.
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 28 2015, 08:34:14 PM »
Take the cap of the cam sensor and make sure the ring under the cap is spinning when you crank the car over.
when you put it back together, loosen the hold down a bit so you can twist it while someone else cranks the car over. Might dry the plugs off before trying to crank it over again.

I'm running out of stuff, the thing is getting fuel, it seems to be sparking maybe just not at the right time. Compression but it was running before. I'm beginning to think something might be wrong with the ecu if it was changed after the engine ran.

Let us know.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline poppy1440

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28 2015, 08:36:06 PM »
I tried another ecm that I have and assumed it was good but maybe not.
the procedure I used for installing the cam sensor was to place my finger over cylinder#1 and have someone bump the ignition.   When I felt pressure on my finger I told him to stop.
I then put a socket on the crank bolt and moved the piston back to the top of hole using a flashlight to verify.
At this point the slot on my harmonic balancer was right at zero On the little plastic guage mounted to the block.  I them turned the crank til the mark on balancer was at 25.  I turned the drive on the cam shaft to a position so that when I installed the cam sensor the dot on the bottom of the sensor would be facing the passenger side of the car.  After I installed the sensor I turned it clockwise until the light came on on my tool then I turned clockwise til it just came on.
I snuggled the sensor down and confirmed the light was still on.  Removed the sensor tool and plugged in the sensor.

Offline 278CIKILLER

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28 2015, 08:48:42 PM »
Is the window cut out in the bowl under the cam sensor cap facing the drivers side corner marker light when you put back in to time it ?

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28 2015, 09:09:27 PM »
Theo, if it had spark when the new plug was laid on the valve cover, and the noid light was blinking, then everything is working...but the question is now why is it flooding?

Be sure that you install the cam sensor exactly like I say to here  http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/cam_sensor.htm

It is very important that number one is on top dead center of the compression stroke...you will know it is coming up on the compression stroke because it will blow a big puff of air out of the number one spark plug hole if you remove then plug...when it comes up on compression stroke for tdc.  If it does not, you are on the exhaust stroke.

Strange that it is flooding even if you are not on the compression stroke, tho.

That kinda sounds like a bad ecm.  You can try swapping it again.

Also, dry the plugs off, disconnect the fuel pump, and with the plugs all back in, then squirt a spray of engine starter, gasoline, or even carb cleaner into the throttle body and see if it fires and tries to run when you crank it over.

Also be sure the maf is connected.

I am not sure what is going on but it sounds like it is pumping fuel into the engine like mad because it should try to fire even with the cam sensor in backwards.....
Steve Wood

Offline poppy1440

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 28 2015, 10:07:20 PM »
Ok, thanks and yes the mass air is connected.

At least it's firing now, remember it wasn't at first.

Im leaning towards the ecm also. strange that both are doing the exact same thing.

I also checked all of the fuses again also.
probably something simple like I have something unplugged but I dont know what because I have fire and fuel and injector pulse.

Just a little info on the ecm that was sent to eric.

the Orange wire was loose in the harness and when I attempted to make it secure I damaged the corresponding pin on the ecm so I removed that pin from a spare ecm and soldered it in   and the car ran without any issues.
The reason I sent it Eric was because I couldn't get the power logger to work after my repairs.
Eric informed me that the power logger was shot.   He is an awesome vendor btw.
He went far and beyond what I expected him to do in helping me.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 28 2015, 10:23:37 PM »
the odds should be against it being the ecm if both ecms do the same thing.

It was running before you pulled the cover, correct??

All plugs look wet with fuel, correct?

Set the cam sensor as I lay out in the link above....be sure it is on the compression stroke.  It will blow air out the plug hole and both the intake and exhaust valves will be closed as it comes up on TDC.  Be sure you are measuring 1.45" Counter-clockwise from the timing mark on the balancer.

Dry the plugs, spin the motor over with the plugs out, and then reinstall the plugs.  disconnect the fuel pump and see if it fires when you spray some kinda fuel into the throttle body and crank it. 

If it does, try unplugging the maf, connect the fuel pump, and try to restart.  this would give you a limp home mode and it should start even tho it would be rich.
Steve Wood

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 28 2015, 10:40:26 PM »
Ok, thanks and yes the mass air is connected.

At least it's firing now, remember it wasn't at first.

Im leaning towards the ecm also. strange that both are doing the exact same thing.

I also checked all of the fuses again also.
probably something simple like I have something unplugged but I dont know what because I have fire and fuel and injector pulse.

Just a little info on the ecm that was sent to eric.

the Orange wire was loose in the harness and when I attempted to make it secure I damaged the corresponding pin on the ecm so I removed that pin from a spare ecm and soldered it in   and the car ran without any issues.
The reason I sent it Eric was because I couldn't get the power logger to work after my repairs.
Eric informed me that the power logger was shot.   He is an awesome vendor btw.
He went far and beyond what I expected him to do in helping me.

So what you are saying is now that you repaired the ecm the engine started and running, or do you still have an issue?

87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline poppy1440

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 28 2015, 10:58:28 PM »
No.  The car is not starting now.
The engine ran fine after my repair the power logger just didn't work.  I just sent both to Eric.

I just decided to fix a leaking front seal while I was waiting for the Ecm and powerlogger to get back.

Mr. Steve, looking at the instructions on your site.  Looking back the only thing I didn't do was to measure the 1.45" exactly.

I made a vertical mark perpendicular to the slot on the balancer so I could see it once it went under the plastic dial.  And that is how I got my 25 atdc.   The dial stops at 22 I think so I went what I thought would be 3 more degrees.   

I will go back and mark the 1.45" exactly.

I use to have a little piece of paper that came with the tool but I can't find it but I'll go back and make sure it's exact.

And I will also follow the other instructions you gave me.

Thanks

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 01 2015, 07:04:53 AM »
Cut a piece of tape 1.45 inches and stick it to the left of the cut on the balancer. Do the 278CIKILLER trick and shave down a cork and lightly press it into the number 1 spark plug hole. Bring the balancer around until the cork flys out...you'll know you're coming up on the compression stroke. :) Bring the balancer around till the left edge of the tape is at zero. Drop the cam sensor in.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline poppy1440

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01 2015, 02:50:29 PM »
Scooby,
 Facing the engine Shouldn't I put the right side of the tape on zero instead of the left side.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal