Author Topic: interesting tta engine info  (Read 3986 times)

Offline tb3

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
interesting tta engine info
« on: May 08 2014, 03:39:36 PM »
probably old old info for most of you.  I came across it doing a search on a third gen board for a tune up on a 89 firebird I bought for da girlfriends kid.
pretty interesting info concerning the heads. 

Buick 3.8L Turbo Charged Engine Swap into F-Body

dave8412  Jun 16 2006 - 9:23am   
Q: Can I swap a Buick 3.8L Turbocharged engine into my F-body?

A: Steve Kaminski Turbo High Performance (Dept. CC, 2 Derby Dr., Sewell NJ 08080, 609/881-3235) does engine conversions of Buick V-6s into third generation F-cars. Some engine components used in the limited production 20th-anniversary turbo Trans Am (TA) are different than those used in the original (and far more common) Buick Grand National (GN). These revisions were needed to fit the turbo Buick into the third generation F-cars narrower engine bay.

The TA turbo engine's cylinder heads are from the '86 Buick FWD Le Sabre (PN 25536701, casting no. 22536702). This head design uses individual stud mounted rockers in place of the original Buick V-6's shaft mounted rocker arms, so virtually every vauletrain part from the pushrods on up won't interchange. However, becuase this head and similarly designed siblings were common in FWD applications, GM still stocks most parts, and they are not that hard to find in the salvage yard. The TA short-blocks use different pistons to compensate for the Le Sabre heads' smaller combustion chamber volume; standard GM pistons would bump the compression from about 8.0:1 to 9.0:1--acceptabe on premium pump gas at stock boost levels.

Turbo TA's require different exhaust manifolds (PN 25536214, right hand, discontinued; 25536215, left hand) than GN engines. With one side discontinued, custom headers are needed.

Original GN heads fit the F-car engine bay by deleting the A/C system-but custom headers are still needed. Retain proper serpentine belt operation with a Chevy V-8/90-degree V-6 belt idler pully (PN 10055890) that bolts in place of the GM R-4 radial A/C compressor. Replace the A/C evaporator, heater core, and evaporatior covers with the non-A/C heater core, heater core box, and related accessories (part numbers vary by year).

Although the GN TH200-R4 interfaces with the existing TH700-R4 shifter and shifter cable, installation of the Buick trans in an F-car requires the unique turbo TA trans support crossmember (PN 12396766) with cushions (547704, lowe; 547702 upper; three each required). The existing V-8 rear suspension torque arm interfaces with the standard F-cars trans mount (PN 17989705) and the turbo V-6 trans support crossmember via special brackets (PN 12396758 , outer; 12396756, inner). The trans support crossmember and torque arm are no longer availabe from GM.

Alternativly, mate the Chevy V-8 TH700-R4 trans case to the Buick/Olds/Pontiac engine block using TCI Automotive (Dept. CC, 1 Equion Blvd., Ashland, MS 38603, 601/224-8972) adapter plate (TCI PN 230001)--the existing trans crossmember and torque arm brackets bolt up with no additional mods. The Buick computer can control the 700 trans, but the Chevy computer won't run the Buick engine. The 700 is stronger than the TH200-R4 and Kaminski claims the turbo engines run quicker with the Chevy trans.

Kaminski offers stronger, thicker engine mounting barckets in place of the now discontinued GM items. The rubber/metal engine mounts that bolt up to the frame are still available from GM (PN 2213326, two required). The accelerator control cable is the same as used on the Chevy TPI V-8 F-cars (PN 14080202), but the TV cable (PN 25532115) and the cruise-control servo cable (PN 25525358) are specific to the turbo Buick-all cables are still available.

The existing V-8 radiator works. GN radiators had an internal engine oil cooler, but the TA used a cooler similar to the Camaro/Firebird V-8 sandwhich style cooler. On the Buick, the cooler and a special adapter were sandwhiched between the Buick oil filter and the oil pump cover. Key parts for a Buick system are not available-go with a universal aftermarket cooler.

You can still get the ECM module (its the same as the turbo GN, PN 1227148), turbo TA Engine/ECM harness (PN 12069323), and EPROM calibrator (part numbers vary-see your dealer)
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
Re: interesting tta engine info
« Reply #1 on: May 20 2014, 08:05:23 AM »
Cool!
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22 2014, 08:56:11 AM »
It just made so much more sense to put these drivetrains in a car with the firebirds profile and suspension.   but the gn still looks more awesome in a lot of ways :cheers:

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31 2014, 11:49:37 AM »
It just made so much more sense to put these drivetrains in a car with the firebirds profile and suspension.   but the gn still looks more awesome in a lot of ways :cheers:

Ya BUT the TTA is a blast to drive. Nobody knows what they are !! Wife had a new one I beat the death out of. Sold it in 2000 as a 1 owner woman driver  :rock: :rofl:

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05 2014, 11:07:15 AM »
I wouldn't refuse one if given to me or sold very cheap - but I don't care for the ride at all.

One of the things I like about the Regals/GN/Etc is the comfort of the ride, but being able to whip ass if needed.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06 2014, 09:13:58 AM »
The only thing I don't like is getting in, and out of them, lol!
I remember when I was a kid hearing dad say he wouldn't ever get a vette because getting in and out of it all the time would get old.  I thought he was nuts.   
now I understand. :icon_confused:

grumpy, would you or anyone else happen to remember if there is any gear indication when selecting with the console shifter?  or is it supposed to line up with the gear your in and that's all?  no light like on the regals?

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06 2014, 02:29:42 PM »
I remember when I was a kid hearing dad say he wouldn't ever get a vette because getting in and out of it all the time would get old.  I thought he was nuts.   

grumpy, would you or anyone else happen to remember if there is any gear indication when selecting with the console shifter?  or is it supposed to line up with the gear your in and that's all?  no light like on the regals?
I have an 89 GTA and would think they are the same car minus the drive train.  There is no indication of what gear you have selected.  Just lines up next to the letter.  I may have mis-understood your post but my TR has a light that does move with the shifter
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06 2014, 06:37:35 PM »

I have an 89 GTA and would think they are the same car minus the drive train.  There is no indication of what gear you have selected.  Just lines up next to the letter.  I may have mis-understood your post but my TR has a light that does move with the shifter

awesome!  thanks!   I have a 89 base firebird I recently aquired, but unfortunately going to have to sell.  will post it in the for sale section in a couple days when I can get some pics up.
 One more question, is there supposed to be a indicator light  in the dash somewhere when the cruise control is on?

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09 2014, 08:47:13 AM »

awesome!  thanks!   I have a 89 base firebird I recently aquired, but unfortunately going to have to sell.  will post it in the for sale section in a couple days when I can get some pics up.
 One more question, is there supposed to be a indicator light  in the dash somewhere when the cruise control is on?
no indicator on my GTA for cruise.  Looked in the owners manual and didn't see one listed
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12 2014, 12:00:31 AM »