Author Topic: Jason, Static Electricity  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Jason, Static Electricity
« on: August 31 2017, 03:47:10 PM »
I remember that when we did long line work moving equipment from front to rear, that static electricity was a problem.  I assume this was from hanging the line below the chopper with a big basket of equipment on the end while moving a mile or two down the line?

I am guessing it is not a problem in rescue operations because the line is not moving thru the line and the rescue basket touches the ground or water when it goes down?
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Jason, Static Electricity
« Reply #1 on: August 31 2017, 06:14:02 PM »
Choppers can and will take on their own charge.  I'm guessing you really want something to touch the ground before it uses a moist human as a bridge.   Then again, that rope my have some sort of dielectric properties.

If that's the case, hooking a basket with something the same charge of the chopper would probably be prudent.

Has anyone else seen the show where helos couple themselves to high up VERY high voltage lines then do work on them.   That's guys really got some balls that clank.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31 2017, 09:08:48 PM »
The static is produced from the rotors turning thru the dust particles in the air. Kind of a friction thing. In the air it's not a problem because there's no ground. I have yet to see a rope used in hoist Ops, normally it's a steel braided cable. 7/28 if you know what that is. That cable and whatever is hanging from it better touch the ground before a you decide to grab it without a glove or you become the conductor. I've seen it knock a fella off a 40 foot conex trying to hook a tandem sling.  He was real cool with his shirt off wearing some sunglasses but no gloves. He looked even cooler lying on his back.

In my world of flying chinooks for the army, unless it was a tandem sling leg, our flight engineer would hook the load on the center hook without the help of a load team while we hovered over the load. If it was a long line, 200 foot sling, we would land beside the load. Hook the slings on the hook and then hover the load before picking it up.

Since the chinook has tires, static whips are installed on the rear landing gear and they hang below the tire. Therefore touching the ground before the tires to discharge the static. Every helicopter I've seen with tires has these static whips installed. Every chopper I've seen with fixed skids, does not have these static whips installed. However, they do have steel shoes installed the length of the skid tube.

In every hoist op I've been involved with, the jungle penetrater or whatever is attached to the cable, must touch the ground first before being handled by non-gloved hands.

Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 31 2017, 10:18:33 PM »
thanks!

I don't think I ever knew where the charge came from.  I know we were taught never to touch the basket until it was sitting on the ground and always wore gloves.  We were told we would not screw up but once.

I have not seen enuf on the tv coverage to see how the operation proceeded in full. 
« Last Edit: August 31 2017, 10:23:10 PM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal