Author Topic: The All About My 1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon Thread...  (Read 144449 times)

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The All About My 1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon Thread...
« Reply #225 on: June 02 2015, 04:03:21 PM »
I like the diff cover painted up like that.  Engine bay is looking nice too!  Did you Por15 the brake booster?

Thanks!  Yes the front half of the booster is POR-15'd... it was a bit of an afterthought.  The iron master cylinder that was on there made a rusty mess of it.  I should have taken it out and painted it completely when I had the pedal assembly out last year.  Oh well.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 02 2015, 04:05:47 PM »
I forgot to mention that I rolled the pinch weld in the trans tunnel - with a 12lb sledge - to make some more room for the tranny and the tools to install it.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 02 2015, 10:16:22 PM »
Wow-You didn't work the buick over near this much?
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 03 2015, 08:22:29 AM »
Wow-You didn't work the buick over near this much?

I was thinking about that the other day - the attention to detail in my previous builds.  The MCSS was a 60% build; meaning anything that was done to it, was done about as well as it could be 60% of the time.  There was a lot of quality left out of that car.  The Buick was a 60% build that turned into a 75% build.  A lot of this was due to being very resource limited (money, tools, and skills) when those cars were bought and built.  This wagon is probably an 85% or better solution; but, far from a 100% build because it would never be finished and I would miss the aim of the project.

The redo of the Monte will be closer to 100%.  Lots of ideas spinning around in my head for that one.

The Camaro and TBSS were/are a lot easier to build because of their newness.  I am picking up the Procharger for the TBSS this weekend. ;)
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 22 2015, 09:24:54 PM »
Well here is an update: brakes and stuff.

Started fitting the new LS1 brakes to the car, not a complete bolt-on - but very little work was required to get it all on. The biggest issue was opening up the wheel stud (1/2" studs) and centre bore holes in the mock-up rotor. The whole thing came apart about 5 times trying to get the caliper bracket centred. I settled with a .078' outside to .090" inside offset, using a .053" shim (I had a .066" shim as well) between the adapter bracket and spindle mount. The adapter bracket was torqued down to 70ft/lbs using #271 red Loctite. I do imagine the rotor will get drawn in a bit more when the wheel is mounted and torqued down. I have to pull the pads and rotors off of the donor Camaro for the final install. But it is a start.

I also went through a huge ordeal trying to get my hands on quality steel caged wheel bearings (A34 outer, A6 inner); note to self Timken uses plastic cages in their Set/A 34 outers. Booo. At least Timken's seals went in nicely. The dust caps came from Dorman.

You can also see the Hellwig bar, UMI tie rod adjusters, XH steering box, shocks and springs are all in. None of which is torqued to spec yet.

The most annoying thing happened tonight when I was trying to install the master cylinder I stole from my MCSS; I learned that not all dual diaphragm brake booster are alike. No, in fact the early ones (like my wagon) have a 1.5" bore, and the later ones (like my MCSS) have a 1.75" bore. So now I may have to re&re the dash in the wagon to switch out the booster. FML.

Oh I cleaned and painted the brake lines too.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 05 2015, 05:23:24 PM »
MCSS master and booster in. Cleaned up brake lines and a new disc brake prop valve. Added a bracket to do a little fuel line and wiring organization. Out back the tank is all plumbed in with -6 AN lines, including the burp line from the Astro hanger. You'll notice I chose to not reuse the old fuel lines from the '91 Z28, it feels better using new parts. The filter/regulator is hung on another quickie bracket, and all the lines are wrapped in hydraulic hose shielding because I have had some bad experiences with braided lines rubbing through.
« Last Edit: July 05 2015, 08:10:46 PM by motorhead »
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 05 2015, 05:25:37 PM »
Few more.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 05 2015, 05:26:19 PM »
Last of 'em...
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 05 2015, 09:46:50 PM »
Disgustingly clean build...and that car is gonna be worth more than my house when you're done. :)
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 05 2015, 10:51:50 PM »
Thanks, Brad.  Originally it was just supposed to be an engine and transmission swap... the girls better get scholarships.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 05 2015, 10:57:57 PM »
Thanks, Brad.  Originally it was just supposed to be an engine and transmission swap... the girls better get scholarships.
I got a mischievous smile when reading that. I am able to transfer some of my education benefits to my children. I told the wife, "I got one of em paid for. What are you going to do about the other?"

Looking good my friend
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 06 2015, 08:53:30 AM »
I got a mischievous smile when reading that. I am able to transfer some of my education benefits to my children. I told the wife, "I got one of em paid for. What are you going to do about the other?"

Looking good my friend

Meh.  Mine was paid for with cash and student loans - I have no sympathy; and thanks!
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 13 2016, 11:49:23 PM »
And away we go! I was doing fine until the damn power steering pulley decided to not budge.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 15 2016, 10:19:50 PM »
Took yesterday off to take Natasha to dinner and a movie.

But this is where we are now with the tear down; engine and trans are sitting on the engine mounts ready to be plucked.  The really good news is that the engine is based on an LS6 block (better bank to bank breathing blah blah blah) - which might explain why the Camaro was abnormally quick - but more importantly it means that the LS6 valley cover I bought will fit like a glove.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 19 2016, 03:54:16 PM »
Last night I had the total displeasure of having someone attempt to manipulate me into supporting their personal agenda.  Seems a prospective buyer for the Camaro chassis doesn't believe me capable of reworking the electrical harnesses out of this donor and I should sell him the car whole, and not bother with it all; saving him the difficulty of replacing everything I am looking to pull out.  Nah.  Fuck it.  He is going to take what he is given and like it; or pay handsomely for it. Selfish prick.
>>>Das Instagram<<<

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal