Author Topic: My first build! Guidance is always welcomed.  (Read 23470 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: My first build! Guidance is always welcomed.
« Reply #30 on: March 09 2014, 11:36:21 AM »
If the heads are off, I would think polishing the stems might be a good idea...if they are on the engine, I might not go to much trouble other than wiping them down with solvent.  I tend to be lazy these days and often regret it.

I have always put the pan on first.

Definitely no sealer on the cover over the gears.  If I used any on the cover to block gasket, it would be paper thin smear to fill any minor scars in the surface and I would let it set 15 minutes before attaching the cover so I could get the cover off again some day...silicone can be a terrific glue in some cases.

No need to remove the ecm...just unplug the orange ecm memory wire by the battery so there is no voltage to the ecm to be sure the memory is wiped from the prior chip

For an audible alarm it can go under the dash by your knee or on the side of the instrument pod above the radio..just try to aim the speaker so you can hear it
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09 2014, 04:12:51 PM »
When I have the option I put the timing cover on first. then trim the gasket flush, then add the pan.    If you put the pan on first, you might have to pull the locating dowels out of the block to get the cover to go on without buggering up the pan gasket (or Right Stuff if you omit the gasket)

Don't forget to check your pickup to pan clearance too.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline bcn30141

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09 2014, 07:42:42 PM »
Good deal...respons es were appreciated. Well tomorrow is valve stem seals and putting heads on, I need to so some homework on the head tightening process for the studs.
I was a little baffled that the exhaust valves don't have seals..., on another note I'm not sure if the Harland Sharp 1.55 RR's will require the rocker pedestals to be trimmed up for clearance...I would rather do that off the block to keep the shavings away. Hopefully those will come in soon.
Bad news,,,I found my crank pulley assembly has a crack right along the top off the key way...sucks cause I wasn't for buying anything else. Uhhhg!

Extnder Extme Chip, Scanmaster, ALKY kit, hot wire kit, 340 Areomotive Stealth, Accufab FP regulator, MSD 8.5, GN1 performance 3.5" down pipe, PYPEs Exhaust,210 215 Roller, Morral lifters, PAC springs, port and polished 8445 irons, Tnetics CPT-61 DBB, EVo wastegate, LS1 MAF, GEN2,BHJ, HS rlr rockers

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09 2014, 07:52:53 PM »
Pedestals have to be clearanced to fit the Harland Sharps. Stock exhaust valves require no seals.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline bcn30141

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09 2014, 08:00:32 PM »
Thanks for the info, just figured out as my crack is in the harmonic balancer along the key way, I noticed Cottons sell a used stock one for $80, are all balancers stock made the same or are the holes drilled in them different for every motor. Thanks! Any thoughts on the pick below for replacing my stock balancer?
« Last Edit: March 09 2014, 10:18:06 PM by bcn30141 »
Extnder Extme Chip, Scanmaster, ALKY kit, hot wire kit, 340 Areomotive Stealth, Accufab FP regulator, MSD 8.5, GN1 performance 3.5" down pipe, PYPEs Exhaust,210 215 Roller, Morral lifters, PAC springs, port and polished 8445 irons, Tnetics CPT-61 DBB, EVo wastegate, LS1 MAF, GEN2,BHJ, HS rlr rockers

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09 2014, 10:28:55 PM »
I'm betting one of the guys on here have a good used stocker.

Offline bcn30141

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09 2014, 10:32:45 PM »
Does the line below on this invoice that says "OUTSIDE LABOR BALANCE ROTATING ASSEMBLY" mean my engine is internally balanced....I need to know this for my balancer purchase. thanks!

Offline bcn30141

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09 2014, 10:36:33 PM »
I'm betting one of the guys on here have a good used stocker.
That would be great, however I don't mind spending a few bucks to get a reliable harmonic, I heard and have seen pictures of other obliterating the front cover.

Offline bcn30141

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10 2014, 02:50:30 PM »
Ok so after I did some homework this is what I came up with, only agrivation is putting the car off for another week. This is a BHJ external balancer, I don't know much about them except the fact they're way to expensive, I hope I made the best decision.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10 2014, 04:29:24 PM »
What items were balanced?

Offline bcn30141

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10 2014, 04:38:22 PM »
What items were balanced?
Your guess is good as mine, I was going to try calling the builder.

Offline bcn30141

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10 2014, 04:40:02 PM »
Since after to wait on parts... No use wasting the day away, how bout bumper filler time...hehe

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10 2014, 04:56:28 PM »
Ok so after I did some homework this is what I came up with, only agrivation is putting the car off for another week. This is a BHJ external balancer, I don't know much about them except the fact they're way to expensive, I hope I made the best decision.

That is what I have on one of my cars.  It is a balancer and dampener.  Nice piece!

Offline bcn30141

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10 2014, 06:55:23 PM »
Success 5 hours later!

Offline bcn30141

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10 2014, 06:58:05 PM »

That is what I have on one of my cars.  It is a balancer and dampener.  Nice piece!

Is all you had to do is bolt on or  did you have to balance it in any way? Thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal