Author Topic: Opera Browser  (Read 2717 times)

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Opera Browser
« on: March 30 2017, 11:10:40 PM »
So, im not really any kind of guru but I try real hard. I was doing some reading and  it recommend everyone needs more interwebz security as the fine elected leaders have deregulated and allow isp and the like to collect and sell all info they can and as they see fit.

https://medium.freecodecamp.com/how-to-set-up-a-vpn-in-5-minutes-for-free-and-why-you-urgently-need-one-d5cdba361907

SO, i wanted to ask am i doing it right. It sez unload the vpn and the adblocker. The ad blocker works as I got the boot from tb.com. I guess I wont be going over there any more.

I went to the ipleak.net but dont know what it is telling me other than it is close to where I live so Im not sure if it is working.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the input.

If nothing else, this sure sped up the loading of the pages. So at least that is better.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Opera Browser
« Reply #1 on: March 31 2017, 01:02:47 PM »
Rich,

Somethings aren't worth the effort of hiding. I'd say very few ISP's have the compute resources to process this kinda of info. This is the same info you've been giving google, microsoft, apple, amazon, yahoo for the last 10+ years.

Technically SSL and other encryption protocols protect the sensitive data. But like anything, don't put anything you don't want anyone to see on the internet.

Jeremy
IhaveaV8

Offline blown1

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • send em all back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31 2017, 01:39:36 PM »
I mentioned the ad blocker  issue to shane, and he told me  to go away/ not visit TB.com if I didn't like it.
so.... I did, haven't been there in 6 months,
was getting so tired  of the "know it alls" and  arrogant  turds on there,

and YES, I have "ad blocker" and will continue to uses it!

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31 2017, 03:39:16 PM »
Go here and tell us where the banner advert says you are
http://extratorrent.cc/

Then change the opera vpn location as per instructions and load the page again.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31 2017, 04:53:26 PM »
I will give that a try. I'm not real computer savy but I am cheap. I've been looking at a refurbished hp($89 shipped) with the dual core 3.0 and windows7 professional as this pieced together dell we got from my mil, with a old hard drive after I guess hers crashes and ours the power supply quit. She bought a laptop and I put these together and loaded up XP as that was the sticker I could find on one of our old case had. It has been slowing down but with this opera it sure seemed to speed it up again.

Too bad about the Tb.com I liked that site. It has become a chore and there isn't near the tech in the trans section any more.
Rich

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01 2017, 10:15:46 AM »
If you are using xp - you have worse things to worry about than your browsing history. If you are that cheap, download a copy of ubuntu and install it. At least you'd have a secure platform to start on
IhaveaV8

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 01 2017, 10:56:50 AM »
If you are using xp - you have worse things to worry about than your browsing history. If you are that cheap, download a copy of ubuntu and install it. At least you'd have a secure platform to start on

LOL, I was waiting for you, Jeremy!  I don't think it is a question of cheap.  It's either they have an old machine that might not run a modern version, or they have not given a new version more than a cursory glance and are convinced there is something difficult about it.

Win 10 is worth it if for nothing else than a quick boot up time...7 was outstanding as well tho not as quick as 10 but was far faster than anything that came before. 

I think win 8 really confused a lot of people with its screwy start screen.  Win 10 looks almost the same as 7 to me with very little effort.

Win xp has developed some mystique that it does not deserve and is totally non secure if one goes on line.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01 2017, 11:33:46 AM »
I was thinking about one of these ssd fancy hd. You can get one for like $40-45 and I could load up the window 7 on it as I think we have a machine with the window7 on the sticker. But by the time I expend that time and energy the $89 return is looking pretty good.
I will have to look at the Ubuntu thing and see if I can do that .
Rich

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01 2017, 02:43:03 PM »
If you can install windows you can install ubuntu. It's pretty straight forward. It'll ask about non-free codecs, during the install - make sure to install them.

SSD's are the only way to go. Make sure to buy a decent one, as some of the cheaper ones are prone to failure.

Steve - I agree 10 is pretty solid, but I'm still on the fence about some of the privacy issues. I've got 2 linux boxes, 1 osx, and 2 windows 10 computers. The linux and osx boxes are the ones I tend to use more these days. 15+ years of doing the Microsoft way made me want something different.
IhaveaV8

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 01 2017, 02:49:14 PM »
I have a Samsung SSD in this machine...time to rebuild the rest of it, I guess.

I used Ubuntu for a couple of years, then after running win 7 for awhile, I did away with it...I was running it mainly because it booted so quickly and ran fast.  It's was easy to install in a dual boot mode as i recall.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01 2017, 07:38:01 PM »
Careful with SSDs. Samsung seem to be king right now but I have seen an ugly data failure. Best used as boot/OS drive
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal