Author Topic: exhaust tick  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
exhaust tick
« on: October 19 2015, 07:47:48 PM »
Back to this one. Seems most like to not use gaskets. What's an effective way to true up manifold surface in a DIY manner?
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: exhaust tick
« Reply #1 on: October 19 2015, 08:12:13 PM »
Leave the front and rear header bolts in...remove the others. The header gaskets will drop in. Reinstall the bolts and cinch them up via the proper torque sequence.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19 2015, 08:29:29 PM »
Dan and I had a DS header warped to fuck a couple years back. Sent it out to have it machined...and it was still a mess. Our solution was to cut it to relieve the stress. No more leak.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline gusszgs

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 1
  • Limited quick brick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20 2015, 06:21:23 PM »
I had the typical DS header 3-5 crack.....weld ed it up with a gusset for support. Flange got warped during the welding so I took it to a reputable machine/welding shop and they machined it laser straight. No gasket no leaks
Jim
1987 T Limited

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20 2015, 07:02:37 PM »
Tore the bitch apart tonight, drivers side no cracks, no leaks. Had to take the down pipe out to drop out the x over pipe. Found 2 leaks where it connects to the passenger side header. Appears where they flared the header for the joint they left a bit of a ridge and I think that might have caused it? Filed it down to a nice smooth socket again and will put back together tomorrow. Should I use high temp silicone at these joints?
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal