Author Topic: Polishing GTA's  (Read 9794 times)

Offline xpander343

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Polishing GTA's
« on: January 11 2015, 06:33:31 PM »
Last winter I bought a set of GTA's fairly cheap that had the gold centers painted over, but was badly peeling.   
After trying a few different ways to get the peeling paint off I decided to go with chemical stripper which also obviously took off the clear coat off the polished aluminum lip.

I then took one of my hubs for my LS1 brakes I've never bothered to install  yet on the brake lathe at work, and bolted the rim to the hub.  I sanded the crap out of the polished lip to get rid of the machined ridges and eventually sanded down to 2000grit.

I then just recently picked up a polishing kit from Canada's version of harbor freight and started polishing the lip.
After having finished this on one rim I'm thinking I shoulda sanded maybe to a finer grit.  It looks quite shiny when polished but was thinking I suppose it could be a clearer shine if that makes sense. 

Would I be better off sanding to a finer grit? or buying the next stage of clay bar for a more polished look.  The last polish I used the white bar.   Also any suggestions on a wax or coating I can put on the polished aluminum to help it keep its shine without having to buff the crap out of it monthly once its on the car?

87 Regal Limited

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
Re: Polishing GTA's
« Reply #1 on: January 11 2015, 07:08:22 PM »
I polished my T rims with the harbor freight stuff.  Wasn't pleased.  Got another wheel and the #5 rouge from lowes and was happy with the final buff.  Then I cleared the wheels and it yellowed.   :(

I found some GTA wheels of driver quality from Chris down in Houston and went with those rims. 

I have since blasted my T rims and started polishing again.  Started with 400, 800 and stopped with 1000 grit.  I am using the same method for polishing, minus the clear coat, and I'm not happy with the one I've got buffed out. 

I was introduced to a product called Zephyr.   https://www.zephyrpro40.com/s2/Scripts/default.asp

I am going to sand with 1500 and 2000 and then try their wheels and polish. Still not sure with what to do after I'm satisfied with the polish. Maybe a clear powder coat?
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11 2015, 07:08:37 PM »
I wouldn't mind knowing this as well. Thinking of putting a sticker on my GN for the first time in 3 years...boltin g the GNX rims on her...and spreading fear in the hearts of the local populace. :)
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11 2015, 07:10:02 PM »
I wouldn't mind knowing this as well. Thinking of putting a sticker on my GN for the first time in 3 years...boltin g the GNX rims on her...and spreading fear in the hearts of the local populace. :)
After you get the sticker, we need to find a place to meet up and terrorize together
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11 2015, 07:13:30 PM »
Here's a better pic of my avatar. This was before I cleared them, which I should not have done.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11 2015, 07:23:23 PM »
Damn that's nice work! You're hired!
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11 2015, 08:33:28 PM »
The big issue with polishing out aluminum is sealing it some how. I've used flitz before with really good results, but it's an expensive polish. You might consider clear powder coat and there's a few that don't yellow as badly. If you use a clear paint then you need a good quality one that's intended for metal and outside use, which is also expensive.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline xpander343

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11 2015, 08:59:30 PM »
Those looks really good.  I'd heard of Zephyr before when looking at videos of guys polishing highway tractor fuel tanks.

I was thinking that trying a better quality compound and wheel might help.  Was also thinking that getting a wheel that goes on an angle grinder would work better then the ones that go on your drill.

I'd thought I'd read somewhere that if you sand the aluminum with fine enough sand paper they don't tarnish as bad.

This is after I sanded them:

this is after I finished buffing with the best quality compound I had.

as you can see where the rim has the ridges you can still see the sanded swirls.

87 Regal Limited

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11 2015, 09:14:26 PM »
You may look for a different shaped wheel that can get on those curves a little better.  Don't give up, it looks really nice!

Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline PacecarTA

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 2
  • im not a newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12 2015, 12:02:47 AM »
rather than use chemical stripper , the easy way is oven cleaner , it cuts through the annodize which is extremely hard , then sand with  600 and wd40 , step up to 1000, 1500 then polish

Paul   Magnabuick.com ..NJ rep
86GN pump gas 93/alky 109, iron heads, stock mains, no girdle  9.72 @139
best 1/8 6.13 @ 112 ,best mph 144
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSKzv7ej7Cc
87 GN TTop 109 ,93/alky , 9.82 @ 139 20.6psi , best 1/8th 6.18@113.2
87 GnX'd 
87 GN TTop..stock as can b

Offline xpander343

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12 2015, 09:10:31 AM »
I'll try the oven cleaner for stripper on the next one.   It'll be nice using something that doesn't feel like its trying to kill you even when wearing a mask while doing it outside.

Def thinking I need to expand my buffing wheel collection

thanks guys
87 Regal Limited

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12 2015, 11:49:15 AM »
Why not send the wheel out to be professionally done?

I had Carcone's (Bloomington Road, Aurora) refinish my GTA wheels.  they can remove the gold finish & re do with black or any other colour in the centre webbing .....after polishing the lip they will seal the bare aluminum so it won't continually oxidize.  My wheels have been on the car for several years now & absolutely no yellowing of the clear coat.
Just be sure you tell them not to remove any material from the wheel, simply use emery cloth or such because the standard way these are done is to cut off a few thousands of an inch from the surface & this will weaken your rim.

It's gonna cost about $100 per wheel though.

http://www.carcone.com/wheel-refinishing.html
« Last Edit: January 12 2015, 12:03:38 PM by 1KWIKSIX »

Offline xpander343

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12 2015, 02:09:44 PM »
I'd looked into using Carcone's to have them redone but I believe the price I was quoted was $125. It was going to  work out to more then I'd paid for the rims in the first place.   I was thinking it would be an interesting winter project to keep me entertained.  Also figured if I failed horribly at getting them how I want I could always get carcone's to redo them for me.
87 Regal Limited

Offline xpander343

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17 2015, 04:42:56 PM »
the wet sanding with the WD40 i found did a nice job on the last few stages of sanding.   Seems like it has a cleaner sand, hoping to do some polishing on that rim tonite if I can.   Also picked up some jewelers rouge to finish with this time.
87 Regal Limited

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17 2015, 10:33:30 PM »
Post up some pics when you can. I'm betting you'll be pleased
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon