Author Topic: garage truss  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
garage truss
« on: June 09 2022, 09:31:58 PM »
starting new garage and house ,got my permit submitted yesterday.  Stoped at the truss Manufacturing place on the way home.
Wall heights is 12 feet this will be high enough for a lift.But do I get just a standard truss or scissor truss?
I know the scissor will make it look bigger but will it be a benefit for lighting or will the flat be better, just seems  to me all the machine shops were open and the lighting was not that great. but the tool room that was flat was better. is my thinking all wrong. we loved our scissors truss house we had but I never worked under the hood and turned ever light in the house on just to hookup the DVD player.
So what would you do?
Arizona GN109 forged rotating assembly
DLS 210-210
Champion irons
Extreme Auto stage II trans and converter

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: garage truss
« Reply #1 on: June 09 2022, 09:44:59 PM »
PS I remember see a garage thread just can't find it
DLS 210-210
Champion irons

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 10 2022, 08:18:44 AM »
Jeremy built a beautiful shop based on a pole barn design.  Check Nocooler's threads.

Seems to me that the truss design might add quite a bit of cost for the utility it brings in hanging lights and such.    My shop has 12 ft walls and I admit that I no longer want to get that high off the floor to fasten shop lights way up in the top of the center of the shop.  I need to replace several lights that have quit working but I think I will get someone to install some "hanging" chains instead of screwing them  to the purlin. 

Steel and concrete have gone way up in the 15 years or so since I built mine.  The guy that built it for me told me yesterday that instead of the 19k I spent for it then, it would be between 75k and 100k based on what people were paying for similar today.  I wish I had built 40x50 instead of 30x40 looking back.  That way, I would not even waste time looking for stuff that I had laid down someplace. Save the time and just buy it again immediately LOL
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10 2022, 03:51:11 PM »
The one thing I wish I would have done differently is putting some sort of moisture barrier and insulation under/around the concrete flooring. But I don’t know if that’s stop the floor from sweating
IhaveaV8

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10 2022, 09:42:22 PM »
thanks
DLS 210-210
Champion irons

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30 2022, 08:17:41 PM »
Light intensity vs distance is an inverse square relationship so yah drop the light on chains, put em higher where the lift is.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01 2022, 10:48:48 AM »
The one thing I wish I would have done differently is putting some sort of moisture barrier and insulation under/around the concrete flooring. But I don’t know if that’s stop the floor from sweating

it dosent, I have heated floor, its got 4 inched of insulation below it and when its humid it sweats. You saved alot of cash not doing it!
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal