Author Topic: Day 2 Day BS  (Read 11259 times)

Offline Pyro6

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Day 2 Day BS
« Reply #15 on: August 16 2013, 06:45:11 AM »
I have alot of friends that are truckers. Private and co. Private sides gotta be brutal: fuel. truck maint. taxes, weather, and insurance. Plus dealing with the morons on the road that shouldn't be driving. Good side though, you get to see the good old USA :cheers:

Offline larrym

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16 2013, 04:15:35 PM »
It doesn't seem to matter what type of business your in people people just have to grind you down.
I recently sent pricing to a customer heard through my manufacture they had gone to my competition for pricing, I don't have a problem with that if the other guy can do it for less let him have it.
What I did have a problem with was the customer still grinding me when my price was the lowest.......
I basically told him get the other guy to do it, obviously my pencil was sharp when I first sent him my number.
I even offered cost savings with alternate product what he wants is premium product for the same price as the cheap shit.
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline Pyro6

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17 2013, 12:41:51 AM »
I try not to even give estimates over the phone, too many shoppers. You're right though, don't get caught up in the price war deal.

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17 2013, 01:08:58 AM »
On electrical work I tell them it will be  minimum of 30 minutes @ $50 and hour. If they listen after that I tell them it may take the minimum or could take as long as $50 and hour X  hours X 7 days. Most of them start sputtering at this point. :rofl:
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline firebird_1252

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17 2013, 05:27:08 PM »
gary, what i've found is that if you keep up on the maint. it makes life a lot easier. with that said i'm setting myself up for a lot of shit. i've been ignoring a lot of stuff.  the insurance.... its god awful. the excuse i get from my broker is "well.. you are in a AAA insurance company, anyone will take you on".  :rolleyes;  fuel.. it is what it is.  i have a problem with the damn DOT. to date this year, i've been stopped 5 times with 3 inspections. 2 of those inspections were by the same trooper!

we also have to deal witht he price wars. infact, i'm in one now. its always a nightmare. ALWAYS. normally is not worth the stress and hassle.
87 GN- :D
2011 Jeep Liberty.. its trail rated!

Offline Jeff

• Bone Stock
  • The Thread Killer....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17 2013, 06:30:03 PM »
These stories are some of the reason.why I havent started a side business working on.cars. I really cant see it being worth it.  I might just do.it.to.see but its tough running a business big or small,especially when.you have to deal w jon q public

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31 2013, 04:33:07 PM »
wonder why it takes so much for my feet to hit the floor in the morning.
My dad taught me long ago, that if you aren't going to make some money there is no sense in going to work. You have plenty of stuff to do at the house.

As far as rock auto and the like, I doubt your sign makes any reference to being rockauto. You don't bring eggs to the diner for them to cook, therefore you don't bring your own parts to a repair shop.
If you are so proficient with the interwebz, look up the repair on youtube and fix it yourself with your rockauto parts. See how that works out for you.

Auto repair isn't for the faint of heart. Most get it apart and cant understand how to reassemble it back to where it works.

You might need to 'fire' some of your customers. If you are not collecting the money you are not running a business, you are conducting a charity. It is usually a good thing as you have his parts and service and he has your money. You just have to get together and make the transaction.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal