Author Topic: Rear End Fluid  (Read 2346 times)

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Rear End Fluid
« on: April 30 2021, 08:48:11 AM »
Hi All,
Would it hurt if replacing the rear end fluid with Mobil 1  75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube - 1 Quart,
plus adding GM Fluid 88900330 Limited Slip Axle Lubricant Additive - 4 oz., and of coarse including a new Fel-Pro gasket
Thanks
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Rear End Fluid
« Reply #1 on: April 30 2021, 09:08:40 AM »
There seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on the subject.  Some say no problems.  Some say do NOT add the additive.  Others say only use the additive if it chatters going around corners.  A few say Eaton says do not use it because it is too slick and the clutches need friction...and you can google just like me and get confused too.

Personally, I don't see the need for it.  Any performance gain is probably more theoretical than anyone could actually measure.  I don't believe the clutches were made with it in mind back in the day.  I would stick to conventional non synthetic.

Before the day is over you are bound to see people that disagree strongly and claim to be a second faster using it.  LOL
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Online xracerx13

• NOT
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • First Methanol Kits
    • View Profile
    • Joe Tripodi's 1987 Buick Regal Limited T
« Reply #2 on: April 30 2021, 09:19:57 AM »
On my stock rear end after adding a drain plug to the stock cover with new gasket obviously, i used redline synthetic 75W90 gear oil with GM posi differential additive. At first i didn't think it needed the gm posi fluid.  but I had to add it cause it was making noise around corners like Steve said.
Joe Tripodi 87 Limited T
TA49@25psi, Axis w/chip, LS1 MAF, 60lb Inj, Comp 980s, BGC 23r SLIC, Jay Jackson 62mm TB, RJC PowerPlate, Walbro 307, volt boost 15.8V, Type II ign, Race tranny, 2800 stall, 3" THDP, Pypes 3" SS/Dynomax Ultra-Flos, Meth Inj staged 2 nozzle M5/M10, SS Lift bars, MT ET drags.

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30 2021, 09:42:46 AM »
I always had best results with GM limited slip gear oil with 1 bottle of gm additive. This is for stock diff and gears.  With a Eaton unit and after market gears Lakewood limited slip racing fluid (yellow bottle) with 1 bottle of gm additive. I never had issues or chatter,clunking with either.
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30 2021, 09:44:09 AM »
There seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on the subject.  Some say no problems.  Some say do NOT add the additive.  Others say only use the additive if it chatters going around corners.  A few say Eaton says do not use it because it is too slick and the clutches need friction...and you can google just like me and get confused too.

Personally, I don't see the need for it.  Any performance gain is probably more theoretical than anyone could actually measure.  I don't believe the clutches were made with it in mind back in the day.  I would stick to conventional non synthetic.

Before the day is over you are bound to see people that disagree strongly and claim to be a second faster using it.  LOL
You know I have always used conventional oil and not synthetic oil, and this was one of those questions I needed to know if anyone was converting to synthetic type.
I'll stick to the old school ways since I never had a problem
Thanks
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30 2021, 11:37:27 AM »
Instructions from the manufacturer for My Auburn limited slip differential warned not to use synthetic oil in their rear end. Just Dino oil and limited slip additive .

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30 2021, 11:13:11 PM »
Instructions from the manufacturer for My Auburn limited slip differential warned not to use synthetic oil in their rear end. Just Dino oil and limited slip additive .
Thanks for the info and yes you're right I'm not going to use synthetic oil for the rear end  and not even motor oil, as I only used conventional oil.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal