Author Topic: Covid 19 in Texas  (Read 6783 times)

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Covid 19 in Texas
« Reply #15 on: April 17 2021, 10:23:34 AM »
That was pretty good Steve. 
Our cases exploded due to spring break travel. People brought some variants back and passed them around. 
IhaveaV8

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #16 on: April 17 2021, 10:51:51 AM »
And, it's interesting, but maybe not so puzzling, that the areas that hosted the spring break revelry have not gone up at the same rate.  It is creeping up, but not spiking as of yet.  It is certainly nothing like the predictions so far.

In my area, many doctors were touting vitamin D and sometimes K to help maintain the immune system.  I found it strange that even tho some studies seemed to indicate that those that had high D levels in their blood were less likely to be severely impacted by the disease.  I also found it strange that soon after this emerged, there were a number of articles hitting the feed that said there was no evidence that it had any effect.  Doctors in my general area were telling people to take it but to understand that it would not have the same effect as going out in the sunshine and creating it naturally.  I take some every day.  It's cheap.

But back to the spring break issue.  Those who came from the north and went back home seem to have been harder hit than those from the south.  Could it be that our relatively short and infrequent winters that allow us to spend a lot of time out doors prepared our immune systems to fight better?  I don't know.  I also note from looking at Texas, that Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin have far more cases than the countryside.  Obviously they have more population density, but they also tend to stay indoors more and don't get outside nearly as much as people that live in the countryside.

Also, I notice that people that are overweight, diabetic, are smokers, or have breathing issues, seem to be the ones that are severely affected and have the most problems overcoming the disease.

Contrary to those that claim the death rate is no higher than from flu, the numbers show that is an ignorant lie and those that us that pay attention, can see that the death rate is well up above what we are used to.

« Last Edit: April 17 2021, 10:56:02 AM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17 2021, 03:49:54 PM »
After the 1st and 2nd Moderna shot I had bacon and eggs for breakfast, Grilled cheese and tomato sandwich for lunch and bbq  burgers and sausage for dinner. I feel this is the reason I had zero reactions to the shots.
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17 2021, 05:13:00 PM »
I went and ate a chicken fried steak topped off with a couple of ice cream sandwiches and had peanut butter sandwich for dinner
Steve Wood

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19 2021, 05:23:54 AM »
so everyone is getting the shot  :hmm

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19 2021, 09:49:57 AM »
Not everybody, but quite a few of us :)   I thought more about it than I did 70 years ago when we lined up and ate a sugar cube with the polio vaccine dropped on it.  I don't think it gave me autism or any other such effect.  I believe I was already a bit nutz.

On the other hand, I know quite a few that have had covid and most sailed thru it.  A handful died and I think most of them plus a few more that became really sick for an extended period had other problems that contributed to their deaths.  Who knows, in another 30 years, I might regret having opted for the shots but, I am guessing-probably not.  :D

Honestly, I am far more concerned about all the stuff that they add to food to make it last forever, be more attractive to the eye, etc.  I think we are basically eating plastic these days and it will probably be shown somewhere in the future as having done far more damage than good.  I think kids would not be sick all the time if they were forced to go outside and play in the dirt and the mud for a few hours every day.  I am one of those kind of radical free thinkers LOL
« Last Edit: April 19 2021, 09:55:07 AM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19 2021, 02:13:25 PM »
so everyone is getting the shot  :hmm

Dan, I don't know if you are worried about the mRNA vaccine but if you are go for the J&J or Asterzeneca.  Nothing worse then drowning in your own bodily fluids with a tube stuck down your throat!

I wasn't in any rush to get a vaccine but with these new variants it is some crazy crap! So, I'm going for mine soon.

« Last Edit: April 19 2021, 02:47:01 PM by Forzfed »

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19 2021, 02:46:27 PM »
And, it's interesting, but maybe not so puzzling, that the areas that hosted the spring break revelry have not gone up at the same rate.  It is creeping up, but not spiking as of yet.  It is certainly nothing like the predictions so far.

What about Sturgis?  Depending on the articles you read it was a super spreader and others said no increase in rates but if you look at both North and South Dakota the numbers were insane!  But I do agree transmission isn't as easily spread out doors especially if there is distance, wind and high UV.

How hard you get hit depends on number of infected people and duration of time being spent with them.  I use the analogy of being in someone's garage with 1 smoker for a few minutes or the same garage with 20 smokers and 1/2hr.  Chances are you are going to cough, especially not being a smoker.  There is a reason they give you 2 shots.  First one is just to get your body prepared.

Also, I notice that people that are overweight, diabetic, are smokers, or have breathing issues, seem to be the ones that are severely affected and have the most problems overcoming the disease.

This is pretty true with the odd cases of young and healthy people being hit hard and dying.  But the new variants have changed this.  I was never overly concerned about the original virus.  But that being said at the same time I believe I go infected my coworker who is a fit 50 year old could not walk a short distance without sitting down.  I'm still very lathargic almost like a long hauler(sounds like a Trucker).

Contrary to those that claim the death rate is no higher than from flu, the numbers show that is an ignorant lie and those that us that pay attention, can see that the death rate is well up above what we are used to.

According to all these Q-Anon conspiracy theories it is only a flu which is a total lie!!  I have a friend that spews this crap.  And it is funny how I hear the same story from numerous people.  Like their neighbor who died in a car crash and death certificate read covid!  I've heard that one 5 times.  Problem is living in a city there would be an article about the fatal crash.  Or these same people are more worried about getting cancer.  But you can't get cancer from being in the same room as a person with cancer!!!  Last week someone sent me a link to the QAnon doctor.  They are crafty because they hook with true statements and then go off the rails of the crazy train!

At Christmas I was horrified to see an overloaded morque!  Security phoned because the alarms were going off.  This is usually because the door was left open too long.  But seeing this was very disturbing!  I hate going to the morque in the first place.

Shortly after this I talked to my QAnon friend that told me he was in my Hospital Emergency and didn't see any covid cases.  He said this because morons were going into Emergency in different location with their cell phone to prove covid is fake.  Only problem with this is we have 3 Emergency areas and one has an isolation room for this reason.  And we have a floor dedicated for covid with lots of isolation rooms.  We aren't going to leave a possible covid case in the hallway to infect every other patient that goes by!

I think he was lying about being in Emerg because he usually texts me to see if I am working.  I told him to smarten up because he does not have access to patient files.  I have a list of all possible cases and positive cases and the what floors and wards they are on.  I will then be told by the front desk which room has positive and suspected cases.
« Last Edit: April 19 2021, 02:58:25 PM by Forzfed »

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19 2021, 04:30:36 PM »
this is clear as mud  :chin: :cheers:

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19 2021, 05:03:23 PM »
Which numbers are you looking at?  :chin: :icon_eyes: Sturgis August 7-16, 2020

The numbers were insane?

Also, anyone that ever thought Q-Anon was an actual group has some mental problems in the first place.  Could we stick to reality based numbers? 

Steve Wood

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19 2021, 05:33:02 PM »
Strange how Meade County SD (home of Sturgis) did not skyrocket any more than the rest of the country after the rally.  It's really difficult to label Stugis as a super spreader in spite of all the liberal press articles to the contrary if you read deeply enough to see that the numbers were basically pulled out of the air to support the liberal knee jerk that wanted to shut the country down...still wants to shut the country down.  When you look at the actual numbers as percentages of the population, you cannot build the case as the numbers are miniscule as compared to the fear.   When they mention peer-reviewed, one knows the fix is in.  Scientists always fall back on "peer-reviewed" to try to substantiate their findings as if they have some Nostradamus like credibility in agreeing with other scientists.  Physics has been brought to its knees by such religious like beliefs.

With regard to variants, Faucii and others, have been trumpeting fear of such since their other professions have demonstrated to be hyperbole rather that fact on the subject.  No doubt, the risk is always present when dealing with viruses, but, the dire reality has not been proven as of yet.  I feel that yearly boosters are in our future, but hopefully, we will get better flu shots along with these boosters.

As I have stated multiple times, the virus is real, and it can be deadly compared to common flu, but the reality of the numbers does not support the terror being broadcast.  To date, more and more studies are pointing out that those locked up indoors are certainly not better off than those that dare the outdoor venues.

Al Anon  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Steve Wood

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19 2021, 06:57:15 PM »
this is clear as mud  :chin: :cheers:

Exactly! :icon_lol:

Which numbers are you looking at?  :chin: :icon_eyes: Sturgis August 7-16, 2020

The numbers were insane?

Also, anyone that ever thought Q-Anon was an actual group has some mental problems in the first place.  Could we stick to reality based numbers?

I never used any numbers I used a word.  I did that to get my message across.  What seems significant to one person may not be significant to another.  What I find is people have already made their mind up.  I was telling friends about a pregnant covid patient that lost her twin babies.  Before I could finish, they said everyone dies of covid.  I told them to let me finish.  Our pathologist determined covid had no role in the death.

When it comes to the the possibility of death when dealing with this virus my opinion is we should air on the side of caution.  My out look is definitely different than those that do not work in a hospital or even nurses that are so far removed from covid.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19 2021, 07:32:41 PM »
I understand your words are based upon opinions and feelings.  You are not in the minority by any means.

I prefer to rely more on supported facts to minimize the associated hysteria.  Your friend's comment was based upon the number of deaths that have been ascribed to Covid when pre-existing conditions such as obesity, diabetes, heart, lung, etc. problems were a contributory condition.  In this country, it is financially beneficial to put Covid on the death certificate as the cause rather than a contributory cause.  I suspect that your friend was being a bit cynical, or perhaps, realistic in his comments.

If you would ignore the emotions associated with the disease and look at the actual numbers of deaths associated with it whether direct, or indirect, the fatality rate is way less than it would appear from listening to politicians or the media.  Sweeping all the crumbs into the Covid basket, it is still behind Heart disease, and Cancer which is not to diminish the concern, but to keep it realistic as compared to a real pandemic like the Spanish Flu.

I hope you forgive me for insisting upon factual data rather than sweeping statements presented as fact such as the super spreader Sturgis comments that are not substantiated by reality.  I think such comments make it hard to convince people of the seriousness of the disease.  Truth is not complemented by hyperbole.

Trying to control people by fear is not very effective in the long term.  Facts are far more meaningful once they begin to push their way to the surface.  So far, there is very little to indicate that the lock down in many places has helped at all.  

I encourage everyone to take the shots.  I am not sure why the J&J shot is so popular as it seems to be significantly less effective but it is based on old science and it may be the comfort factor and sound the safest.  I guess it is better than nothing.
Steve Wood

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20 2021, 09:28:34 AM »
Quote from: Grumpy
so everyone is getting the shot 
Nope,
Untested for long term effects? Not for me.
« Last Edit: April 20 2021, 09:33:22 AM by TexasT »
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21 2021, 03:18:20 PM »
I understand your words are based upon opinions and feelings.  You are not in the minority by any means.

I encourage everyone to take the shots.  I am not sure why the J&J shot is so popular as it seems to be significantly less effective but it is based on old science and it may be the comfort factor and sound the safest.  I guess it is better than nothing.

Steve the reason I said what I did was to kind of prove the politics behind this.  The US media has probably blown some of the numbers out of proportion.  And yes people in poor health will more easily succumb to this virus.  And I know you had a friend that died from covid and you got the vaccine.

At work we have always said if an 80 year old dies from covid especially in the hospital with other factors it really isn't surprising!

With the Asterzeneca and J&J there is a debate there too.  Some say it works better on the variants.  I was speaking to our Engineer the other day whom is from China.  For some reason he wants to send his children to visit their grandparents.  China will not allow you to step foot on their soil if you have the Moderna or Pfizer and insist you need their vaccine which according to them works on all the variants.  They say the 94% of Pfizer is only on the original strain.  I know it is hard to believe China but some find it hard to believe big Pharma.

I just started streaming TV and have been watching Bill Maher for a couple months.  I must say he is bang on with his cancel culture statements and he does have some good guests on.  You might not agree on some of his information but for the most part he is decent!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal