Author Topic: Why won't my lock-up torque converter lock up?  (Read 3766 times)

Offline kjhansen

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Why won't my lock-up torque converter lock up?
« on: March 16 2021, 03:03:09 PM »

First, this car is fairly new to me and also most of the parts are fairly new also, i.e., 3 years old or newer.
Most of the work on this car was done by Anderson Performance East (APE) in Maryland.

According to Billy Anderson at APE the torque converter is a 9/11 Billet lock-up unit.  He remembers the car and the converter. 

The car has a 145mph speedometer.

Again according to Billy, because of the 145mph speedometer it will not lock up at normal lock-up speeds and so will need a manual lock-up switch.

First I tried the old paper-clip lock up, connecting A and F in the ALDL port.  This is what I remembered from the my old days with my TR.  No lock-up.

I put a simple continuity switch doing the same thing and drove around, trying to lock the converter.  No dice. 

Am I remembering this wrong? 

Is it worth getting the Monster Lock-up kit for $99? 

Keith

Online nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Why won't my lock-up torque converter lock up?
« Reply #1 on: March 16 2021, 04:31:04 PM »
The monster lock-up kit isn't going to do anything for you. You need to verify you have power to the lockup solenoid.
IhaveaV8

Online nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16 2021, 04:34:21 PM »
Also make sure the brake switch is working correctly!
IhaveaV8

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline kjhansen

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17 2021, 08:45:18 AM »
Your Vortex article is just what I'm looking for.  Thanks.

Offline kjhansen

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21 2021, 06:03:49 PM »
So... not good news.  I had a reputable local transmission shop check out the no-lock-up condition of my torque converter.  The electrics all checked out fine, from the brake pedal to the solenoid.  The converter clutch itself, however, is shredded, with the clutch material all over the transmission pan (and I'm assuming also up in the transmission).  So I contacted Full Throttle Speed because they are the ones who sold the TC to the guy I bought the car from.  It was delivered to him in March of 2020 and has a 1 year warranty, so, too bad, so sad, you snooze, you lose.  Never mind that the TC clutch was bad when I bought the car back in September. So I contacted Performance Torque Converters (PTC) who made the TC, but they haven't answered yet.  My assumption is that they'll say the same thing. Times up, warranty is over, we didn't sell the TC to the previous owner, etc. Sorry, too bad, so sad. I know enough to know that the seller, a private individual, has no liability. He never said the TC clutch was good and in any case, #1 rule in buying a used car from a private individual, let the buyer beware.  I guess I didn't beware enough.
So I guess the bottom line is that I'm looking for a good torque converter, equivalent to the PTC 10-700-27 LU S.  I'm not racing anymore (at least not at a dragstrip), but I want a good TC that will stand up for more than a few months.
I'm not too happy with PTC, although they may change my mind, depending on how they reply to my message.  I've read good things about Dave Husek TCs but they are pricey.  Billy Anderson at Performance Automotive East in Maryland claims his  lock-up torque convertors are better than PTC's, although he recommends their non-lock-up TCs if you want non-lock-up.  His are pricey too. That's not necessarily a stumbling block, but expensive is relative, I know.  These two are just under $1000 each and price doesn't necessarily equal quality.  Plus I've seen others for over $3K, which IS too much.
The car is tuned for alcohol injection, has the basic fuel/air stuff (more powerful fuel pump, adustable FPR, big K&N air filter), has a TurboTweak 5.7 chip with matching TT 42lb injectors, a Precision Turbo 5858 turbo, 3" MAF pipe with LT1 MAF sensor and translator, 3" downpipe into a cutout pipe that flows into a 3" Pypes dual exhaust (Race Pro).  Lots of other stuff, but those are the basic engine bolt-ons. So, according to the previous owner, tuned for the 2800rpm stall PTC lock-up converter.
Bottom line: I've been out of the TR game for too long to know who makes the best torque converters that are a balance of performance, durability and price. Any recommendation s?
Keith

Offline kjhansen

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22 2021, 02:21:49 PM »
Weirdness.  I was almost ready to spring for a new torque converter when THIS ONE STARTED WORKING.
I've had the car for 8 months now and the tc has NEVER locked up.  And now it does.  Cars don't fix themselves.  What could have happened?
Should I name this car Christine?
Maybe I should wait until it works every day for a week or something.
Keith

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 22 2021, 04:24:33 PM »
Perhaps, it started working after the shredded up material was removed from the valve body?  Maybe the material was from the prior converter?  Kinda hard to judge the condition of the unit without cutting it open, I think
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23 2021, 09:22:42 PM »
I think I would run it for a day or two and do another fluid change then wait  a week and do it again.
The trash came from somewhere, transmission coolers or it has something going south.

I always run B&M non-synthetic tell I could not get it, happy with TCI. Just use a good name brand oil.
5858 makes enough power to hurt a transmission
Arizona GN109 forged rotating assembly
DLS 210-210
Champion irons
Extreme Auto stage II trans and converter

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal