Author Topic: Update on future build  (Read 39330 times)

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
Re: Update on future build
« Reply #240 on: April 17 2023, 01:24:01 PM »
Lol!!!! I think you may be right!  :atbeer:

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 23 2023, 12:06:33 PM »
Good morning guys. So, for a quick update: I'm getting my car moved to install this engine once again. I'll begin working on it on Sunday evening and hoping to be done before noon on Monday. I've bought a new set of valve cover gaskets, serpentine belt, and new plug wires to match the vacuum lines.

One of my main concerns on my mind right now is that before I removed the new engine the first time, my voltage was not where I needed it to be. Prior to the engine swap my voltage was ok. New engine go in( I will admit that the positive terminal on the battery did get shorted when I went to install the new heavy duty alternator cables) and when the car was running, all I got was 11.9-12.2 volts. The positive terminal on the battery is shit I will admit, but it was enough juice to start the car. I went and got a new alternator hoping it'd fix this voltage issue(plus I wanted a new shiny one anyway) after this incident, but the voltage was still low. Is there a fuse anywhere in particular that I should look at? The positive terminal on the battery won't allow me screw the battery lug all the way tight due to the short that occurred( i intend to get a new battery but I'm not interested in throwing money at parts if that's not the issue).

So let me make this simple. Lol.

Old engine, voltage was good. Old alternator, new battery.
New engine, I installed the heavy duty kit from Caspers, ground relocation kit, and the new fusible links kit from the starter. Accidentally ran the a cable from the positive battery terminal to a negative terminal on the alternator, battery terminal melts a little. New engine had to come out anyway due to bearing issue.
I'm going in for round two of the new engine installation with these said voltage issues on my mind.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #242 on: May 23 2023, 08:49:49 PM »
I would take that alternator and have it tested. Something is zapped. It or the battery.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 23 2023, 09:04:04 PM »
It has to be the battery then. The old alt was working fine before that mistake. The new alt has the same results as the old and the only thing that I haven't addressed is the battery. I'll borrow one for confirmation. Thank you Steve. I'll keep you posted and let you know what I find.

In other news, I got the bug and ripped out all of my interior, including the carpet. I'm either gonna have to buy a new floor pan or get mines welded. I'm gonna get some opinions on it from some local talent.  :icon_eyes:

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 30 2023, 10:45:21 AM »
Phil why don't ya try an use it for the summer like it is. It's pretty easy to get tired of a dead car. Do as I say not as I do.  :cheers:

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 30 2023, 12:36:42 PM »
Good morning Grumpy!! I'd be flintstones if I attempted to drive that car as it is. I didn't realize how bad it was. The floor pans are already delivered.

I got the engine in, bell housing bolts in, crossover pipe on, starter bolted up. My new TC bolts showed up today. I'm making some steady progress

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 31 2023, 09:29:43 AM »
As long as ya keep working on it your fine. BUT if ya stop time fly's by quickly and many never get back to it.  :cheers:

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 31 2023, 12:46:12 PM »
That is extremely wise advice!
Steve Wood

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 15 2023, 02:47:36 PM »
It definitely is wise advice for sure, and that's exactly why I talk to you guys. The DP is installed, grounds are done, sensors are connected, TC bolted to FW, valve covers on, IC finally installed as well. I need to purchase some anti freeze and hose clamps. I'm almost there gentlemen. I have a good feeling this time around. I'll be in touch!!

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 15 2023, 10:42:34 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers:
Steve Wood

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 26 2023, 03:09:58 PM »
Finally got my valve cover bolts in, so now I can put oil in the car and prime it again. I'll get around to doing that tonight. Wish me luck!

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 26 2023, 06:37:02 PM »
 :cheers:

Good luck!
Steve Wood

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 27 2023, 02:24:56 PM »
It has to be the battery then. The old alt was working fine before that mistake. The new alt has the same results as the old and the only thing that I haven't addressed is the battery. I'll borrow one for confirmation. Thank you Steve. I'll keep you posted and let you know what I find.

In other news, I got the bug and ripped out all of my interior, including the carpet. I'm either gonna have to buy a new floor pan or get mines welded. I'm gonna get some opinions on it from some local talent.  :icon_eyes:

Did you check that you have 12 volts coming from the exciter wire?  If the volt light blows or you have a bad connection you will not get excitation to the alternator.  Stupid me I was staring at my exciter wire thinking I should check it.  I brought my alt in to be bench test, they rebuilt it (supposedly).  I put it back on the car and no go.  Checked the exciter wire and No Voltage!  I had worked 10 shifts in a row and was really burnt out.  I should have listen to the voice in my head that said, "Check the exciter wire!"

Anyway, Good Luck!

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 30 2023, 11:02:42 AM »
Ok, so I will admit that I didn't even have to time to diagnose the voltage issue during said time of said problem because I was pulling my new motor back out due to a bearing issue. Lol!!!!! That trumped everything, so during installation of the fixed built motor, I remembered the voltage issue and decided to post about it. I'll have more info for you guys here shortly. Everything breaks as I fix something else with this damn thing. Like now my accelerator pedal is touching the floor, so I think I may have to order a new accelerator cable. I'm thinking that the same may hold true for the TV cable as well to the trans. We'll see.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 18 2023, 09:20:03 AM »
She LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal