Author Topic: Update on future build  (Read 40352 times)

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
Re: Update on future build
« Reply #210 on: September 28 2022, 01:06:27 AM »
yikes

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #211 on: September 28 2022, 09:30:05 AM »
It is hard to take off when the engine is out...without resorting to butchery, it is impossible when in.  I left mine in...I think it preserves the ac box and such.  It's heat shielded for a reason.

If you used the right length bolts as prescribed by Champion, it ain't a lot of fun to pull the covers but it is not impossible as I guess you found out.  Just have to figure out what it takes wrench wise.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 28 2022, 10:00:25 AM »
Phil, I had several sets of tall rocker covers on my engine before I finally removed the heat shield. I had to roll the engine over to get the rear rockers in the right position to get the rocker cover off. Pointing my heat gun at the AC box after driving the car for awhile tells me it doesn't do dick.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 28 2022, 10:19:38 AM »
My biggest issue is the fact that my valve cover is literally sitting on that heat shield. Vibrations, false kr, etc is likely. If I have to resort to butchery, then so be it. I need to get this valve cover back on the car so I can let it run without making a mess. I'll find a way to notch the spot that the valve cover is actually touching. I need less than an inch of clearance and I'll be good. This really sucks.

Goal tonight is to pull the bolt back out of the mount and raise the passenger side of the motor up again to gain enough clearance to put the valve cover back on. Once that's done, I'll cover everything up and notch out the area that the valve cover is sitting on. No clue how but when I get this done, I won't share how. This is ridiculous and I should have done my research before buying these valve covers.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 28 2022, 10:38:03 AM »
I've read aftermarket engine mounts will raise the engine a tad. I had a pair of HR engine mounts on my car and they were so hard with the engine running the vibration would almost rattle my fillings loose. Went back to an over the counter pair of stockers and used an RJC engine brace. Engine mounts can be changed with the engine in. I've done it.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 28 2022, 10:51:25 AM »
An air chisel might work...but you'd want something between the air con box and heat shield to not hurt the air box. Maybe a pack of cheap wood shims from the Home Depot etc. If you could cut it in half, it might come out.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 28 2022, 10:56:03 AM »
Or maybe drills holes through it top to bottom. Be careful not to push right through the firewall or aircon box tho. Cover everything with a sheet so metal debris doesn't get in the engine.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 28 2022, 11:35:50 AM »
These suggestions are greatly appreciated!! At the very least, I'll get the valve cover back on before I begin cuttin on things. My first thought was drilling holes and using a dremel with a diamond bit in between the holes I make. Time consuming but I think it might be safer. I'll find something to put in between the shield and heater box before I begin destruction. Lol. The amount of steps I have to take to get a simple 2 minute run time is ridiculous.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 03 2022, 01:07:22 PM »
Got it fired up yesterday. I'll check for leaks today!! The oil feed line had a slow leak so I'll tighten that down a bit. The drain had a slow leak as well so I'll tighten those screws down. It idled so smooth.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 03 2022, 03:07:30 PM »
That's good news.  Sounds like all the work has paid off and you are getting really close!   :cheers:
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 03 2022, 07:51:27 PM »
Got it fired up yesterday. I'll check for leaks today!! The oil feed line had a slow leak so I'll tighten that down a bit. The drain had a slow leak as well so I'll tighten those screws down. It idled so smooth.

Phil, did you get the rotating assembly balanced?

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 04 2022, 08:51:17 AM »
Everything was balanced as I went with a forged crank with internal balancing. So to answer your question, yes sir!!

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 04 2022, 11:34:57 AM »
Hey gents, sorry for the absence as me and my family have been railroaded with multiple deaths of close family members. I've been avoiding my car because it's adding to the already stated blues that I've been experiencing.

I have a noise coming from my motor, and after the input from a few, we're leaning towards a lifter that didn't prime properly and now we're trying to quiet it down. We've been adjusting the rocker arms constantly and cannot get it/them to quiet down so I'm leaning towards pulling the intake and starting over from the beginning in regards to the lifters and pushrods. I primed the engine of course before initial start, but maybe I didn't prime it long enough? Idk. On initial startup, the car idled beautifully but I heard a very very slight tick from said lifter/lifters, but it wasn't unbearable. It actually sounded normal if I'm being honest as I listened to a few other buick roller motors with Johnson lifters(they all tick). During the third start, After I allowed the car to warm up that's when the very faint sound of a lifter became an obvious sound of a lifter. The car hadn't been driven or revved up at all and we're currently trying to definitively find the source for the noise. We have confirmed that it's top end so whatever the problem is shouldn't be catastrophic.

I do have a few things I want to try before pulling intake...

I hope all is well with everyone here. I'll keep you posted on my progress with the Buick.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 04 2022, 02:10:11 PM »
Phil, I am only guessing, but it sounds like the lifter is stuck internally and the only two things that will fix it is a) replace it, b) take it apart and clean the assembly lube out of it and see if it now functions properly.  Some times lifter may have sat on the shelf a long time and the plungers get glued into the body.

Having said that, I suggest you pull the valve cover and do a visual inspection to see if the pushrod is not bent, is seated properly, and the pre-load is the same as the others.  Try to see if the plunger is pushed down the same as all the others when the cylinder is on TDC.

Check the rocker as well.

I am not a roller lifter expert, or any other kind of expert even I sometimes play one on the 'Net so you may get a lot better advice from someone else :)
Steve Wood

Offline ~JM~

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 04 2022, 05:22:42 PM »
Sorry to hear of your losses. My Buick has been sitting due to the same.

You might try adding a quart or two of Marvel Mystery oil (have heard good reports on Sea-Foam also) & bring engine up to operating temperature before committing to disassembly.

Good luck.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal