Author Topic: Trying to order a new truck  (Read 3228 times)

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Trying to order a new truck
« on: May 11 2021, 04:26:10 PM »
https://www.ramtrucks.com/bmo.ram_3500.2021.html#/build/powertrain/75270/CUT202115D23L91A/2TA/APA,PUW,X9,ESB,DFX,DME,Z3S,TCN,WBH,V9,A6B,AMP,ANT,JKV,BAJ,XAA,XHC,LPL,MR5,CLF,GFA,XMF,UAM,2GA

Wife talked me into just ordering a new truck. Son in law sell ram so we went and looked. He didn't have any 2500 or 3500 on the lot and it appears other dealers don't want to trade so we looked at used . With the state of the used market and how many miles they seem to have, the used idea as I've been doing for the last twenty yrs didn't make mathematic sense. So a new one was decided.

Went through their website and looked at what was offered. Seems the 2500 now comes equipped with "multi link" rear suspension. What is this you might ask? So did I. This means it is coil springs on the back and front . I don't know about you, but I feel a truck needs rear leafs for longevity and tough ness. I'm not buying a car. This lead me to the single wheel 3500. This unit has the rear leaves, and also comes with towing mirrors, and tow hooks where these things are options on the 2500.
Then comes the short bed angle. Used to think I needed a long bed but have been doing with a short bed for ten yrs and wife wants to drive it so short bed it is for her parking ease. Though about 4x4 but I have two and can't remember the last time I used it much less needed it so for $3k less it becomes a 2wd.

So we give the dealer a check and tell them submit the order. I get a call last night from the salesman and he tells me they have ceased taking orders for the 2021 model year. Well that isn't his fault so I guess we wait to see what happens with the pricing for the 2022 models and I guess order one of those. This gives me a little more time to make sure this is what Is best.

Any thoughts on the Ram? I've never had a dodge or Chrysler product so this will be a new experience. I looked it the Ford and both gm brands and the Chevy looks like ass to me. Ford and GMC was more expensive for what appeared to be a similarly equipped truck. So here we are I guess.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to order a new truck
« Reply #1 on: May 12 2021, 06:43:09 PM »
Drove one for a week when Turbolicker was fixing my f150. Pretty similar I felt, they all have their pros and cons. Probably less of crap shoot than me with the aluminum body and ecoboost.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 12 2021, 07:10:59 PM »
My only experience has been with the 1500 hemis.  I think they are one heckuva truck.  I would hate to drive a 2500 or 3500 in parking lots made for little cars
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13 2021, 08:51:35 AM »
It is a truck. We have a 2500 suburban and k2500 pickup that she is having trouble getting in and out of since her knee surgery last year. So a lower 2wd with some side steps and no miles was decided on. She has her Malibu too but it won't pull either of our trailers.

Several guys at my work have the half ton and a couple have the 2500. One just got one a couple months ago. He got a long bed so was able to get the 50gallon fuel tank. I'd like that but they don't offer it on the short bed. I'm sure 31 gallons will be plenty. If not I can get something to put in the bed and have more fuel that way like we did in the oil field.
Rich

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13 2021, 10:41:05 AM »
All the Trucks are pretty good!  My cousin owns a fleet of cummins Rams.  Can't say anything bad about the Cummins but the transmissions are another story.  I find the GM's ride is one of the best especially if you have magnetic suspension ride.  The Ram's probably have one of the best interiors.  My buddy's son bought a 2020 Ram and I find my Canyon has a smoother ride but his interior is slightly nicer.  I really like the Ford 5.0, it's a great motor.  My one buddy has had lots of little issues with his Eco-boost but the truck is really nice.

In Canada the GM and Fords hold their value and the Dodge's don't.  I could have bought a one year old quad cab eco-diesel for $39K, MSRP of $70K cdn.  If you want a Dodge you should look North of the border for a good deal.  Trucks seem to be way less down here!

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13 2021, 06:10:06 PM »
Very few used trucks are available here, many tradeins were shipped south for greater returns

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14 2021, 01:54:35 PM »
That is for sure but there is still new 2 year old ones around.  I just did a quick search and there are plenty Ram 2500's out there.  I just texted my buddy in Alberta to see what the situation is there.  Try finding a new Ford or GM and the numbers are extremely low compared to the Dodge.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20 2021, 11:36:33 AM »

Got scared as the k2500 was having issues and wife said pull the trigger so I did. 

2018 Ram 2500 with Cummins power and a 68rfe six speed auto. I really like it so far. 26k miles and pretty clean. We will see how it goes. 
Rich

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20 2021, 07:26:39 PM »
Congrats Rich! 
IhaveaV8

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20 2021, 09:05:25 PM »
Sounds like a good deal...nice truck
Steve Wood

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21 2021, 09:29:47 AM »
Thanx fellas. It is a step back with a payment again. But no wrenching on the daily at least for a while. Maybe I can get going on some of the hobby/fun projects. 

It gets about 15mpg going back n forth to the job. Loaded with people and stuff in the bed got 20-21 mpg on the high way. Pulls the flat trailer with about 3 tons of rock on it like nobodies business. Excited to get the big toy hauler out and see how it pulls. 

Already refinanced it to our credit union. Cut the interest rate more than half and that cut six payments off the term for $.40 less per month. Seemed like a no brained to me. 
Rich

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21 2021, 10:08:55 AM »
Sounds like a heckuva deal to me!  I think that truck will do everything you want of it.
Steve Wood

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22 2021, 10:16:26 PM »
Sweet!

Offline Forzfed