Author Topic: Block Tester Kit results  (Read 10069 times)

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Block Tester Kit results
« Reply #30 on: May 07 2021, 03:06:50 PM »
Thanks for the info I'll see if I can post up a couple pics but I really don't want to start up with the machine shop.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07 2021, 03:52:17 PM »
I've got the pics to my email but I'm hit or miss whether I'll get them posted up? Let's see what happens?
First 2 caps are same with different angles & the light scratches.
The burned one & the next seem worse in the pics but maybe I just don't see that good & the pics show it up better?
I really don't want to get into this motor & hopefully I can just install the new King bearings?

Wow I didn't realize the pics would be so big!
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08 2021, 11:42:59 PM »
I thought you meant the whole end of the rod was black - lol.
It had some heat in it - but I don't know if I'd be concerned. If the crank is smooth, slap the bearing in and send it.
What does Steve say?
IhaveaV8

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09 2021, 07:02:50 AM »
Doesn't look bad to me. Clean up lightly with a oiled ultra-fine scotch-brite pad and replace the bearings. I would use the same brand size and part# as the old ones.
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09 2021, 08:25:55 AM »
Thanks guys that's good news to hear! I didn't think it was that bad the pics make it look worse than it is IMO. I can't catch a fingernail on anything so I'll get out the scotch bright pads & some oil.  :cheers:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #35 on: May 09 2021, 09:22:01 AM »
Jeremy, I did not see anything that looked seriously out of place so I was waiting for your comments :D  Figured I might learn something...

Might could use a light align hone but I don't think you can reliably say that without measuring....  I am cynical and believe most machine shops cause more problems than they fix.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09 2021, 10:31:11 AM »
Steve you are correct.  A light align hone would be the correct way. But If you do that then polish crank then all that follows should be done also. Full machine shop service is $1800 plus parts on the way out the door.  If what does fails he may spin a bearing. The above charges will be the same. Only pulling the motor again. I got away with many looking worse than Dave's.  He is anal and will be alright:045:
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09 2021, 12:02:33 PM »
AGREED!
Steve Wood

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09 2021, 03:23:54 PM »
Thanks Gentlemen when you're right you're right! ;)

Altho as I get older I'm learning that somethings are better left alone & taking them apart is more fun than putting them back together!  
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23 2021, 08:24:19 PM »
I'm farther along with tear down than I had planned & since the main bearings look really good I'm not touching them just the rod bearings are replaced but this motor won't go back into the car & get started for easily 5-6 weeks so my question now is should I use some assembly lube on everything? I'll use my drill to build good pressure on the stand before it's installed but is some lube on the bearings a good idea at this point?  :chin:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23 2021, 08:32:26 PM »
Never hurts 👍
Steve Wood

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23 2021, 08:59:32 PM »
Thanks Steve I have a new package so I'll use a few dabs as needed  :cheers:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07 2021, 05:53:03 PM »
OK got a slight issue with my 10 year old TA Perf adjustable roller rockers & lifters. As per the site rocker threads should be Flush on bottom where pushrods meet up. Now maybe due to dirt or me playing around with them because I put a squirt of oil to top up lifters & then adjusted the pushrods about 2 good turns in (so I knew 100% they all move properly) one lifter is tight compared to the rest. So I took it out & shot it with brake clean & then compressed air a couple times & it's still much firmer than the others so at minimum it will probably make extra noise when the engine gets running I assume? I can't compress it by hand like the others?
So should I soak it in thinners or maybe even all of them or let it ride & hope it will get better with engine heat etc?

It just happens to be #1 cyl (where the head gasket blew into the water passage) & it's the intake yet the exhaust on #1 is fine?

David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08 2021, 02:36:08 PM »
This sounds like a Jeremy or Ed Baker question.  I don't feel comfortable in telling you to let it ride.  I wonder if it may have some rust inside from the water?

Anyway, my first suggestion is to soak the lifter in some Marvel Mystery oil and pump it submerged a few times to fill it up with the Marvel.  then let it soak and pump it a few times over a period of time...

If that does not work, I guess either take it apart or replace it.  I have not had that happen so I am shooting from the hip on this one
Steve Wood

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08 2021, 03:52:28 PM »
Steve since yesterday I cleaned it out again & it goes down 4 turns 200 thous like all the others with the rocker screw & comes up without issues so it's somewhat better. I find some are easier to compress by hand & others like this one not as easy. A couple go down almost too easy IMO but I'm starting to go crazy with them. I decided to add an extra 1/4 turn so total is closer to 50 thous now.
Now I just messed up my new Intake gasket so maybe it's a sign not to button it up yet although I'm thinking it's more just me trying to rush when I shouldn't be! lol  :icon_eyes:
I was reading an article here this am & Earl mentioned using an older style Intake gasket that doesn't have the EGR punched out so I'm looking for that next. Thanks for you help it's always appreciated!   :cheers:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal