Author Topic: Front Suspension Stabilizer Bushing bolt hole  (Read 2046 times)

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Front Suspension Stabilizer Bushing bolt hole
« on: March 17 2021, 10:15:23 PM »
I have a question to my dilemma

After the front end suspension replacement, is when I realized many, many years ago I replaced the Front Suspension Stabilizer Bushing, and founded the factory the bolts were stripped. At the time I was away from home and the only way to repair was to drill an enlarge clearance hole to fit a bolt inside the body frame channel and place a nut on the mounting bracket.
Now after so many years this mess has came back to haunt me.
I need to know is there anything else besides the bolts that hold the steering box unit to the body frame. The reason I’m asking I look inside the Front Suspension Stabilizer Bushing bolt hole and saw the body frame shape is in an upward angle towards the last steering box support bolt.
I’m in the process of using the Big-Sert 5015 M10X1.5MM Oversized Metric Thread Repair Kit and the drill bit and threaded tap might hit up against the body frame angle. If it’s only the angle frame then not a problem, but I hope there is nothing else inside the body frame
I hope I explained for all to understand what I’m trying to say.
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Front Suspension Stabilizer Bushing bolt hole
« Reply #1 on: March 18 2021, 08:03:46 AM »
You could slide a grade 8 carriage bolt in there with a star washer or tack it in and make it a stud.
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 18 2021, 09:40:22 AM »
cannot you stick a screwdriver or punch in the hole and see how far it will go?  That should tell you if you have room to tap the hole.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18 2021, 09:41:32 AM »
You could slide a grade 8 carriage bolt in there with a star washer or tack it in and make it a stud.
I agreed with you as I did had a bolt inside the body frame channel but not the star washer since it was suppose to be a temporary fit.
I'm sure one side I can use the Big Set insert, but the other side being the hole is slightly larger I'm not sure. I will post some before and after pictures of the outcome. Thanks
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18 2021, 10:17:40 AM »
I am not sure what you are using, but, I normally would look for a nut-sert or riv-sert to fix the threads
Steve Wood

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19 2021, 12:18:03 AM »
Okay, finally finished and what a PIA
It first I tried the Big-Sert 5015 M10X1.5MM Oversized Metric Thread Repair Kit and there was not enough threads on the body frame.
I was a little Leary of trying to use the rivet-nuts since I felt the rivet-nut walls were too thin and won't be able to hold the weight and torque of the stability bar.
So I went back to what I had before with sliding a bolt inside the body frame channel and fasten it with a star type nut. The funny part original only one side needed the bolt and nut, until the other side I started to tighten one of the original bolt and then it stripped. So now I have 3 with bolts and nuts, and only one mounted with the original bolt that is holding tight.
I have question for all,
I'm not sure during the time I was putting back the lower A frame the bushing bolt was place feeding inside the A frame housing with the nut on the outside of the A frame housing. Do you think the steering components will hit the bushing threaded end rod where the nut is place?
« Last Edit: March 20 2021, 04:24:59 PM by gnonyx »

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20 2021, 04:27:52 PM »
Okay, finally finished and what a PIA
It first I tried the Big-Sert 5015 M10X1.5MM Oversized Metric Thread Repair Kit and there was not enough threads on the body frame.
I was a little Leary of trying to use the rivet-nuts since I felt the rivet-nut walls were too thin and won't be able to hold the weight and torque of the stability bar.
So I went back to what I had before with sliding a bolt inside the body frame channel and fasten it with a star type nut. The funny part original only one side needed the bolt and nut, until the other side I started to tighten one of the original bolt and then it stripped. So now I have 3 with bolts and nuts, and only one mounted with the original bolt that is holding tight.
I have question for all,
I'm not sure during the time I was putting back the lower A frame the bushing bolt was place feeding inside the A frame housing with the nut on the outside of the A frame housing. Do you think the steering components will hit the bushing threaded end rod where the nut is place?
Just lettings anyone know today I checked the if the steering components would hit the bushing threaded end rod where the nut is in place and the answer is NO it doesn't hit as there is about 1/8" clearance.
Thanks

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20 2021, 05:15:57 PM »
Good news
Steve Wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal