Author Topic: 60 ft blues  (Read 35210 times)

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: 60 ft blues
« Reply #60 on: July 16 2019, 03:41:43 PM »
Tim, I have no idea how much experience you have drag racing. When track tuning to a time slip, rollout can easily change the ET by 0.15 sec. If you rely on the time slip to determine yea/nay to anything you have to leave the same. Most (myself included) can not do this reliably. If you would like, I can explain how to take the driver out of the equation. As much as possible.

Also, if you are going to foot brake/flash stall, you cannot leave while pushing forward. You have to hold the car w/the brakes. Not all cars can foot brake successfully.

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16 2019, 09:41:37 PM »

Also, if you are going to foot brake/flash stall, you cannot leave while pushing forward. You have to hold the car w/the brakes. Not all cars can foot brake successfully.
that can be tuff to do but it CAN be done. have to practice. the tuneup matters a lot. We foot brake. Every one she races has a trans brake. She brings the boost to 3#s then bumps in and the race is on.
Ok just how fast do you want to go ??  :chin: Are you racing or just want a time slip ?  :player:

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16 2019, 10:58:06 PM »
Grumpy, not my place to answer, but. I think they are working on knock. It was suggested to flash stall. I was responding to that. I do not go far enough back and get off track sometimes.
That and AFAIK, Tim has been racing half his life and could teach me. It is the Internets.

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 17 2019, 03:16:33 AM »
Grumpy and wmsonto We race all year round in Hawaii, my number was 11.5 ET just to say I did.I have went 11.55 three times guess I can say I did it.I want to race the car ,all we have is bracket racing here,so I’ll be looking down the road to do that. I want to be running in the 11.5 to 11.7 ET.

Grumpy your cars are a inspiration to me I watch what you have to say on both boards. I just don’t want to put a bar in the car.

Wmsonto you got some good reading on bracket racing I’ll read it.

Not a professional Drages racer, I have a few AMA amateur championships to my name.I guess that makes me have a competitive bone or two.

I don’t really get the bracket racing science, like I said just wanted to out run some of the local racers on a regular day and drive it home. I will figure it out ,that being the car and bracket racing.

As for KR 99% sure it’s the mounts ,I know this car pretty good and can see the engine has shifted to the passenger side. Don’t really understand the shift in that direction the drivers side should be much higher than it is. Trans mount looks good,down pipe mount is stretched and down pipe is down below the fram rail. I will check cross member bolts and transmission too , had them out few months back.
Arizona GN109 forged rotating assembly
DLS 210-210
Champion irons
Extreme Auto stage II trans and converter

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 17 2019, 04:20:52 AM »
ok I understand. We ran mid 11s for years .  Matter of fact we did lots of Buick set ups for mid 11s. I wouldn't do anything faster back then. Didn't need grumpy customers blowing stuff up  :icon_lol:   Like you said ya want to have some fun an drive home.  :cheers:

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #65 on: July 17 2019, 09:31:20 AM »
Tim, you had to go and ruin the best thread we have had in a long time.  Some times, these threads take on a life of their own and it is something like the example of the first person in line turns around a whispers a short story in the ear of the next guy and says "Pass it on!".  By the time it gets to the end of the line, there is no resemblance to the initial story.   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rock:

BTW, I believe the car will be in the 11.4's with very little effort/change once it all comes together  :cheers: And, I am totally with you.  Bracket racing is not my cuppa tea.  :cheers:

Wmsonta!  My suggestion to launch off the brake at lower boost was primarily aimed at seeing what effect, if any, it had on the drop of boost at the top of first gear and the momentary decrease of acceleration which is undoubtedly costing him a little bit at the finish on the run from which those graphs came.  Obviously, I think, this was a suggestion to try after the false detonation cause had been found and rectified :)

I am pretty sure I mentioned it, but, I had at least two primary questions in my mind.  Variation in converter design and the effect of combustion chamber heating with a two step versus no two step

« Last Edit: July 17 2019, 09:43:44 AM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17 2019, 11:45:57 AM »
This thread has potential
60 foot times should be the topic of ever racer. Bracket or heads up. And  there must be lots of 11 second cars.

DLS 210-210
Champion irons

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 17 2019, 01:34:56 PM »
Don’t think outlaws and no prep care about 60 ft role out or even reaction time.
Grumpy  our anyone what did a 11 seconds time slip look like?

DLS 210-210
Champion irons

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17 2019, 03:54:50 PM »
Don’t think outlaws and no prep care about 60 ft role out or even reaction time.
Grumpy  our anyone what did a 11 seconds time slip look like?

ohhhh they sure do !!!  Melissa is good on the instant green .  She runs "NO TIME" events. Not interested in NO PREP. They are great to watch but we value the car to much  :O :rofl: No time slips handy.. That was back in the day till 2004 I think.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17 2019, 04:16:22 PM »
Digression, here.

The most fun I ever had racing was "The line it up and show me just how bad that piece of sh** (fill in the brand) is!  I got X amount of money to find out!"

There was always some idiot that would stand in the middle of a country road and flag 'em off!  I think the State Troopers loved those days as much as we did.  A few nights were memorable.  It seemed to go downhill with the passing of the 'sixties. 
Steve Wood

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 17 2019, 05:43:32 PM »
"Wmsonto you got some good reading on bracket racing I’ll read it"
Tim-Get the knock issue fixed. Then, if you like, I can suggest a way to compare any two changes with no math involved. Apples to apples. The way you race now vs foot brake. 2 step vs no 2 step. Engine tune. Etc.

"She brings the boost to 3#s then bumps in and the race is on."
Grumpy-Yeah, foot brake is all about finding a leave that is easy to hold and easily repeatable. Let the converter do the work.

"  My suggestion to launch off the brake at lower boost was primarily aimed at seeing what effect,"
Steve Woods!-I understood that and agree. I think everybody should try foot brake first.

"This thread has potential
.............. .............. .. And  there must be lots of 11 second cars."
Tim-There are currently 540 views.I would say there are a number of 11 sec cars at the track. Damn few legit 11 sec street cars.

"Digression, here."
Steve- Yup, I lived though it. If I can post this picture-it will be of the most hardcore street racer I help. His pickup goes 11.85 at the track and probably 12.0 on the street. He refuses to compromise any more street-ability. I do not believe he has ever lost on the street in KC. He lost in the picture. The other car used to be a NHRA record holder Super Stock slant six.
« Last Edit: July 17 2019, 05:49:57 PM by wmsonta »

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 17 2019, 06:06:28 PM »
Some one needs to get you into your Buick.  I suspect you might be surprised how easy it is to have a 11 second street Buick these days :D

Buicks are easy compared to some of this old stuff.  I need to get back on this one and try to get it to go straight when you give it some gas.  Street tires are not helping.  My son told me I just could not drive anymore, but, as you see, when he eased into it, he lost his nerve quick!  Made my day!

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/Challenger.mp4
« Last Edit: July 17 2019, 06:27:53 PM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

Offline Pyro6

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 17 2019, 06:38:53 PM »
Since i don't have a GN anymore, just my .02$. Where I was headed and working on and what I think would have made us consistent was boost control and leaving off RPM's. Saves the equipment and gives a good 60. I'll come back to beat a dead horse, bracket racing these cars on a regular basis against other cars than turbo Buicks is a true challenge.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 17 2019, 06:43:11 PM »
A new redeye will run 10's 100% stock. Yes it takes a good track and driver but still.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 17 2019, 07:08:20 PM »
yep, seems like magic to me but they do it with relative ease...the use of technology is amazing on some of these modern cars
Steve Wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal