Author Topic: nocooler's firechicken thread  (Read 236738 times)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: nocooler's firechicken thread
« Reply #1110 on: November 14 2021, 04:58:36 PM »
Quote from: wmsonta
I will link to the official Yamaha promo. You can ff to about 3.30 and 6.00. To be clear, this is a '85 Max and the legendary Jay Gleason. The '85 would wheel dyno 150-155 hp. My '88 stock pulled 129. The good Yamaha parts were still available, afterwards it went 147hp.
Houston Raceway, mph did not vary 1 mph. First pass 11.34. 2nd 11.11. Then the 10.96.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW3uOH4v5FA
Badass...absolutely badass. 
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: November 14 2021, 05:29:35 PM »
Badass...absol utely badass.

I ride with a street racer (11.85 sec Dodge half ton PU). He has a CBR-1000RR. I now ride a VN750 (65hp).

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: November 14 2021, 05:46:24 PM »
Love the pickup! Even the small CC bikes are fast these days. That CRF 250 L in my vids, depending on how accurate the speedo is goes 92 MPH with the mods I did to it. The engine is actually the 250RR crotch rocket engine in it. The full race exhaust made a huge difference. I was thinking of moving to the CRF 450 L but the engine requires constant valve train adjustment.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: November 15 2021, 08:58:11 AM »

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: November 17 2021, 05:02:03 PM »
Little more progress.
I pulled out the steel inserts for the heater core lines in the water pump, the back one got tapped to 3/8" NPT, and the front 1/2" NPT. Some stainless plugs and I don't have to run the stupid U hose everyone does. The crappy thing is I completely soaked the thermal wrap on the cross-over with coolant. That's gonna smoke like a mofo once I light this bitch up.
Grommet is in the firewall. I've got the harness mocked up at the moment, and it fits pretty nicely.
The map sensor hole in the intake needs to be opened up from .400 to .450 so the new 3.5/4bar GM sensor will fit in the intake.
Playing around I found the 5.3 truck starter I have to be 4-5lbs lighter than the car 5.7 starter.
I'm tempted to move the battery to the rear while I'm at it, as the stock battery cables are in the car and are surprisingly small.
IhaveaV8

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: November 17 2021, 05:45:29 PM »
Are you planning on running a certain number with this car? If so, and I know you'll achieve it, what's the plan for the car then.

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: November 17 2021, 08:47:42 PM »
Once I’m happy with where it’s running, I’ll just enjoy it for a bit. It’s at the point that to go much faster than planned it’ll need a significant investment of time and money.
I will be starting on another project this spring, which will be 100% a budget build. Like $3500 all in Car included but not including the stuff I have laying around. I’ll let the cat out of the bag it’ll be a foxbody hatch with 5.3/th400 and some spray. Depending on how the boys like it, it may stick around or it might fund the next one. I’d like to build a car with/for each boy to race/cruise if they are interested.
IhaveaV8

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 01 2021, 02:26:18 PM »
Even with a fever yesterday, I made a plug n play harness for the Holley power tap connector to feed the flex/dome sensors and alternator. Flex and alternator use pull resistors and I made the harness passthrough so if I need to add anything else I can just add another metripak connector and populate it out. Today I took a few minutes to test the harness with a volt/ohm meter and everything worked as planned.  
The map has been fighting me, I was going to install the gm 3.5/4bar but by the time I made it fit, and installed it somehow I cracked the top of the SOB. Then trying to pull it out I broke the plastic tab on the intake that holds the map in.  I said screw it and ordered a 4bar transducer style MAP that'll be here before the weekend. Intake needs to be tapped for at a 1/4 npt and then I have a bushing to reduce it to the 1/8th npt. 
With any luck it'll be ready to test-fire in a week or so.
I'm wondering if I should have ran a bead of silicone around the a/c delete panel I put in, I might pull it back out and seal it, since there is way to do it once the dash is in.
IhaveaV8

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: December 01 2021, 08:10:16 PM »
Jeremy I wish I had your IQ. Everything for the Buicks is plug and play, so it gave the illusion I knew what I was doing.

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 11 2021, 04:32:51 PM »
Thanks, Brad- my wife is always telling me she would love to have my mind for just one day. I tell her that she'd be done with it in 5 minutes. 
I like plug and play - I've pretty much made the Holley harness as plug and play as possible. I've pretty much convinced myself that the stock PCM will not be going back in the car. I could piggyback the 2 systems and pretty much make everything function as stock, but it also overcomplicate s things. I'm just going to order a Holley 6.86 pro dash and that will get me 99% of what I'd need. It's expensive, but when you figure out what it comes with - accelerometer, GPS speed, more inputs/outputs to control/monitor stuff it makes it easier to swallow. 
I'm hoping next week to get back out in the shop and start making more progress on the car. 
Oh - I ordered my center section 10/22 and still don't have the thing. They have everything, it just needs to be assembled and shipped. I still have to measure and order axles.
IhaveaV8

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: December 11 2021, 06:25:44 PM »
I have no issues with aftermarket fuel management systems for guys like you that understand them inside and out. I have a young gun Buick lad out here that can dial them in like no ones business. What I have an issue is is with vendors pushing them at morons like me that don't understand them, and that won't turn my car into a hell ride. Far to many locals have cool guy parts on their cars that they have no understanding of. Pull the hood up on my car and you'd fall asleep...but I ran circles around all of them. Like Dirty Harry said, A man's GOT to know his limitations.

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: December 17 2021, 09:11:52 PM »
The map sensor is installed, I decided to put a T fitting and tied the boost gauge off it as well. No more stupid vacuum distribution block. If I have to take this damn intake off again I'm going to lose it.
PCV system is pretty much plumbed. Catch can for the vacuum side, as soon as it hits boost the check closes, and then it should breathe through the -10 line from the valve cover to the breather can. I might need a check valve to keep the vacuum out of the breather can. It should use it as the fresh air source, and I have the fresh air vent in the valve cover going to the air filter. It should breathe pretty well.
IhaveaV8

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #1122 on: December 17 2021, 09:33:01 PM »
;)
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #1123 on: December 18 2021, 09:59:17 AM »
2021 has been a traumatic event for the most part, but you have really accomplished a lot when you look back on the car progress and the construction of your shop and associated improvements on the property!
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: December 18 2021, 11:08:28 AM »
Jeremy, from failing hands I pass the torch to you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal