Author Topic: smoke in 3rd....alot  (Read 23921 times)

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: smoke in 3rd....alot
« Reply #45 on: September 25 2014, 09:15:39 PM »
Been reading everything I can and I have found this. I have my alky set on 6 the default.. It looks like I can adjust this and lower amount of alky being sprayed. Tommorrow I will reset tt chip to defaults, set wastegate and boost controller to recommended settings and turn alky knob down to 4 and see if boost improves. I have a glimmer of hope that I can tune this problem away. Track day on Sunday and I really had been looking forward to it, gotta get this thing squared away!

Thanks for the help guys. I was stuck on a exhaust leak but this alky setting might be the issue!!
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26 2014, 12:23:57 AM »
Julios default settings are fairly spot on. Was curious if the PAC settings were on default. Was wondering if the volume setting had been turned up. Be careful cutting back the alky. You could try turning off the alky...but keep an eye on KR with the increased timing in the alky chip.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26 2014, 09:23:18 AM »
Can you remove the down pipe and take a pic of the exhaust compressor wheel in the exhaust housing of the turbo.  I think steve said it in an earlier post but I'm thinking the exhaust housing opening for the turbine wheel is too large.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #48 on: September 26 2014, 09:59:39 AM »
Can you remove the down pipe and take a pic of the exhaust compressor wheel in the exhaust housing of the turbo.  I think steve said it in an earlier post but I'm thinking the exhaust housing opening for the turbine wheel is too large.

If the car was making boost with the old turbo and does not make boost with the new turbo, then that would appear to be significant.  I would like to think that if one or both of the wheels were wrong, the boost build up would be slow but?  It takes heat to make boost, but, again, once wound up, one would think that the temp would be sufficient.

As he had had alky problems prior, and the plugs were so white, I wondered about the alky system malfunctioning .  Don't think it is a question of adjustment but again?

Then we get down to things like bad coil pack that won't fire under boost or weak valve springs that are not closing under boost.  The timing of the problem makes everything really questionable.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26 2014, 10:39:22 AM »
pics of housings attached, you can see how well the puck lines up. Wheel has no play at all.

Tried turning down the alky, didnt have any effect.

New development, now car dosent want to upshift under full throttle into third, just hangs up at 5000 rpm's, probably unrelated

Old turbo would put out 23 lbs but to get there I had the actuator arm set about 3/8 inch pull to get on pin and also had to shim RJC boost controller spring and max it out.
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26 2014, 10:43:04 AM »
How much of an exhaust leak would it take to cause this problem.....st upid question I know but just in general, a large leak or could a small one do it. In the pic's it looks like it make leak a tiny amount where the 2 housings meet, you can kinda see it in the pic's

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26 2014, 10:54:55 AM »
Turbo housing looks good to me.  Can't say I wish I had your problem but it's better than making too much boost.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26 2014, 01:38:47 PM »
It would take a sizable leak
Steve Wood

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26 2014, 02:18:45 PM »
just got back from testing. Could weak valve springs cause this problem? If I make a run from a stop it will pull 17 lbs boost in first but the rpm's slow from 4000 up to shift, at shift boost drops to 15ish and then it really struggles to build rpm's from 4000 to 5000 and wont shift. I have it to the floor but it wont build enough rpm to alow the shift??

When I got the car I was told it had 100 lb valve spring put in it but they would have 50000 miles on them now. Maybe I'm grasping at straws but at this point I don't know what to do.

I did turn off alky and give that at a test....boost was no quicker, let off at 15 lbs as SM showed 3 on KR. I doubt boost was going any higher anyway from the swing of the needle on the gauge, for sure it wasn't making it past 20.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26 2014, 02:33:53 PM »

If the car was making boost with the old turbo and does not make boost with the new turbo, then that would appear to be significant.  I would like to think that if one or both of the wheels were wrong, the boost build up would be slow but?  It takes heat to make boost, but, again, once wound up, one would think that the temp would be sufficient.

As he had had alky problems prior, and the plugs were so white, I wondered about the alky system malfunctioning .  Don't think it is a question of adjustment but again?

Then we get down to things like bad coil pack that won't fire under boost or weak valve springs that are not closing under boost.  The timing of the problem makes everything really questionable.

Steve Wood

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26 2014, 03:53:01 PM »
I figured it out... go and put the old turbo back on! 

Just kidding.  I wish I could tell you how to help but I can't.  I recently installed a down pipe with an external waste gate that failed to open and control boost thus there was too much boost and no way to control it even at half throttle pulls.  Pulled it all apart, checked spring, checked mating surfaces, checked everything.  Put it back together, still wouldn't open.
My solution...
I went back to my old trusty internally gated downpipe and boost controller.  Anybody want to buy a 3 inch down pipe with external waste gate and boost control?
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26 2014, 04:23:21 PM »
Gonna replace valve springs. What specifically do I need. Comp 980 is in all my searches, parts store couldnt come up with them with that info. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26 2014, 04:23:37 PM »
Struggling RPM's...sigh. Comp 980's...or 981's for a touch more pressure.

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26 2014, 04:47:26 PM »
Good place to order from?? Never done this before, do I order a tool also to do them on the car?

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 26 2014, 04:58:46 PM »
Any speed shop. Kirbans tool...hands that don't shake...and a ton of patience putting the locks in by the air con. Dan and I have done 'em in under an hour.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal