Author Topic: smoke in 3rd....alot  (Read 23905 times)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: smoke in 3rd....alot
« Reply #30 on: September 25 2014, 09:45:35 AM »
Sounds right to me
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25 2014, 02:14:12 PM »
Im at a loss with this dam thing. Did smoke check and I have zero exhaust leaks that I can see. PCV works as it should. I also now have zero vacuum leaks. I resett tt chip to defaults, adjusted the rjc boost controller to mid way, have wastegate actuator set to 3/16 inch pull to set over pin. Started to go thru steps to dial in, made a 3rd gear run and it will only push 17 lbs boost. Looked on recall on sm and it recorded 855 so I adjusted chip twice. Its at 112 now in setting 1. Still wont push over 17 lbs. And recall Is down to 790 but thats going to be way to lean a setting If the boost ever works correctly and hits 24. It stutters like it wants to boost and will jump boost close to 20 in flashes but wont hold it. After it cools im going to wire puck closed, reset chip to defaults and see if it will boost. I dont know what else to do.

On the smoke issue, none on any of these tests.
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25 2014, 03:42:10 PM »
Wired shut puck. Foot to the floor in third. Boost wavers between 16 and 18. Has to be exhaust leak or bad turbo.....righ t? If compressor wheel has no play then all thats left is exhaust leak??????
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25 2014, 04:38:29 PM »
I have absolutely no idea.

Most cars I see have about 145-150 psi of compression on the cylinders and they work fine.  As I said, I saw one the other day that had 110 on most cylinders and it made 23 psi of boost.  I don't think one at 150 will cause it not to run right.

Now, the other day, you said it ran badly in third...think you used the word chug...is it still doing that?  Or is running cleanly?

Is it still blowing smoke?

the 855 O2 is about what I would expect with the chip on default settings at that boost level.

You said the plug was white?  Where they all white?  that ain't right.  Light tan would be more normal.

If you turn the alky off and program the chip for 16 degs of timing, can you give it a kick and see if it spools faster or looks like it wants to go higher....gett ing your foot out of it as quick as you can if it acts differently so detonation does not take over.  Some race gas in the tank would be nice but turning the timing way back should keep you in the range to about 20 psi.

I am thinking about white plugs, and the chugging and wondering if the alky system has gone berserk and is flooding the engine.

If the turbo spins freely, the puck is sealed properly, I would think the turbo is okay.  However, did the problem exist with the old turbo?

Does the vacuum read steady up around 18-19 inches of Hg at idle when the engine is warmed up and idling?

Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25 2014, 04:39:13 PM »
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Scott87

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost Tube
    • View Profile
Re: Re: smoke in 3rd....alot
« Reply #35 on: September 25 2014, 05:37:38 PM »
Been to 4 auto parts stores to get a replacement check valve. The one that is going to the charcol canister, so where can you get one. I cant even order one thru a parts store. What if I dont have a check valve in that line??

Check valves that are good and not terribly expensive. .

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23369

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25 2014, 05:48:30 PM »
Not blowing smoke at all anymore.

In normal driving it runs perfectly, under boost in third if I have it floored the chugging/surging is the boost wanting to build above 17 lbs I think, I 'll feel a spike of boost so the car seems "surgey".

With old turbo it didn't do this.

I though about the white plugs, and at first I thought maybe the surgey feeling I was getting was the fuel pump not pushing constant pressure at boost and leaning out. Checked that and it built FP correctly and held right there. I 'm thinking that the alky is pushing what would be required at 23 lbs of boost but because the car is only building 17 lbs its feeding way to much alky and causing the white plugs.

Don't have a vacuum gauge, just boost gauge.

Checked plugs again and the have a touch of tan to them. I'm used to reading snowmobile plugs and with them you can read the mark on the electrode where they spark and close to the bend is perfect, beyond the bend is lean and these are there right before the bend. So if that remains the same with a car plug they are good.

I cant test anymore today. This is my thought, tell me what you think. Even though I did the smoke test I'm thinking exhaust leak...here's my thinking. With the engine compression I have, and the 5931 turbo with a wired shut puck it should build past 15 lbs. easy. If the alky was drownding the car and killing boost, wouldn't that much alky cause the car to stumble for a bit after I let off while it burned off the excess? It dosent, it runs like a charm when not in boost and also immediately after I let off. You guys forgot more about these cars than I know but this shouldn't be complicated, exhaust spins compressor to build boost, if the puck cant open then this turbo should be blasting past 15lbs?? Unless the exhaust is leaking somewhere pre-turbo??  Maybe it wasn't a bad enough leak before with the smaller stock turbo but now with the larger one it is effecting it? Also on the old stock turbo 23 lbs was the MOST I could ever get out of it.

What do you think, what else can I tell you? And Scoobum, I appreciate any help offered also, I know a PL would help a lot but I don't have one....yet.

Thanks guys!!

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25 2014, 06:23:04 PM »
What I found in the past is if the boost was too low with alky...then the engine would bog down. Turn the boost up to 20 and above...and it would get up and run. If you're using Julios alky kit...are the settings on his defaults?

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25 2014, 06:27:20 PM »
Yes on defaults. Even with wired shut puck it wont build boost past 15-17 lbs

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25 2014, 06:44:37 PM »
Makes me wonder if the turbo has the wrong wheel in it for the casting boring...but, I don't know.  Without another turbo to try, it's hard to pin it on the turbo...sure is strange it started doing that with that new turbo.

I told you what to do with regard to turning the alky off...just a long shot.  It's definitely getting too much for that level of boost as Brad said.

I won't waste my time ranting about the value of a vacuum gauge when it comes to troubleshootin g
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25 2014, 06:57:04 PM »
What number is the alky knob pointing at? Should be 6 or 7. Go inside the PAC controller and verify Julios settings. His instructions show where the adjustment knobs should be.
« Last Edit: September 25 2014, 07:03:08 PM by Scoobum »

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25 2014, 07:02:01 PM »
At this point my main question is, shouldn't this turbo with a wired shut puck boost past 15lbs if no exhaust leaks are present?

alky knob at 6

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25 2014, 07:03:48 PM »
At this point my main question is, shouldn't this turbo with a wired shut puck boost past 15lbs if no exhaust leaks are present?

If it's drowning in alky...no.

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25 2014, 07:28:03 PM »
What would turning the knob down to say 3 do? Cut the total flow back or just slow the rate of alky injected?

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25 2014, 08:10:54 PM »
Transmission cooler leak?  Is the line pressure climbing to a point that creates a leak/smoke show?
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal