Author Topic: Optispark-Which Brand?  (Read 4216 times)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Optispark-Which Brand?
« on: February 10 2013, 08:35:56 AM »
I gotta swap out the Optispark on the 94 Impala SS. Which brand do I replace it with?

http://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=optispark&dds=1
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Re: Optispark-Which Brand?
« Reply #2 on: February 10 2013, 10:09:05 AM »
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-tech-performance/2835254-dynaspark-experience.html

Quote:

Dynaspark opti = crap

MSD opti = double crap
The only optispark worth a nickel is the AC DELCO one.Add a vented cap, and drill out one of the weep holes to accept a 1/8" vacuum line (plug the remaining two) and you are good to go for another 150k.Elminatin g the optispark is not worth it either. IMHO.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10 2013, 01:58:23 PM »
I'd say genuine OEM or a CNP swap.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline jason

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • TO HOLD ON HIGH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23 2013, 02:38:54 PM »
The optispark on all B-bodies is vented.  Stick with GM/AC Delco/Delphi.

Currently 199$ at summit.  However I've been told that a GM rep on a conference call with Summit said they were not a GM performance part.  Apparently, even though summit's site is displaying a " GM Performance Warranty" these are NOT AC Delco parts. Who knows.

I have a friend in Montreal with an AC Delco unit with under 200km.  He installed a cam I sold him and put it on, then blew the engine.  I sold him a complete stroker that had a brand new Delco unit so he no longer needs this one.  I can put you in contact with him.

First and foremonst, ensure your opti is the culprit.  It is very often misdiagnosed.  One very common cause of misdiagnosis is the opti-coil wire. I've had more issues with leaky WP seals than the opti itself.  Most damage occurs from the WP weeping into the opti or a failed vacuum harness.  IOT replace the WP seal, make sure you get the appropriate tool.  Either the actual Kent Moore or the replica from Buffman.  It's pretty small, so if you need to borrow it, I'd be glad to mail it to you provided you mail it back.  However you can buy it new from Buffman for about $11 shipped.

When I've had the opti out for various reasons, I've done the following as preventative maintenance:

1. use an E4 reverse torx socket to take it apart;
2. Apply red loctite to the 2 small screws holding the rotor in place ;
3. reseal the opti with a constant SMALL bead permatex #2 or equivalent;
4. replace the WP seal (as required).  Felpro Timing cover gasket set TCS 45956 has all the gaskets you need.  The 2 small o-ring are for the WP driveshaft, not the opti;
5. replace opti o-rings with 2x GM p/n 10474278 Distributor drive shaft seal (a new opti should have these already installed);
6. Clean the opti electrical harness contacts with contact cleaner, then shrinkwrap the connector on the opti side; and
7. Replace the opti vent harness.  A failed/cracked vent harness will cause problems often misdiagnosed as the opti.

It's worth noting that the optispark is a very simple component and is easily serviceable.  It contains the following parts:
1. the housing and trigger wheel;
2. the optical sensor; and
3. the cap and rotor. 

Usually either the cap and rotor simply wear out or the optical sensor fails. Occasionally the trigger wheel rusts and gets coated with oil. Occasionally the two screws holding the rotor in place will get loose and/or back out.  A few people have experienced failure of the bearing in there.

If you get trouble codes and the opti interior is clean, then the sensor failed.  If you replace an opti because of a bad cap/rotor/secondary issue, save the optical sensor as it can be reused and is not cheap to buy on its own.  Caps/rotors are wear items so just buy new ones.

You can watch this http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=255280]GM optispark service video to understand how it works in excruciating detail.

I keep a working coil and ignition control module (ICM) assembly in my storage compartment along with a cheapo ratchet and a deepwell socket for the coil studs.    You can find a cheap one at a junkyard.  90% of opti failures leave you with a misfire but the car still runs.  An ICM failures leave you stranded.   Undo two bolts and three plugs and you can swap the coil/ICM assembly and keep going.  When installing a new ICM only, it's essential to ad the heatsink paste.
87 Turbo Regal
1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
1995 Caprice Classic Wagon
1998 Buick Riviera

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24 2013, 12:40:22 PM »
Where ya' been dude? Thanks for posting. Put me in touch with your friend...and I'll grab the opti from him...if he still has it. Jason, the car would "hiccup" every now and again on the 401. It then started missing badly. No SES light. The car has 250,000 km's on it...so God only knows if it's ever been changed. There's a great video on Youtube with a gentleman changing one. Not a difficult job...just time consuming. I posted on the Impala SS site...and all the guys said the same thing...be sure to use a Delco or Delphi unit.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal