Author Topic: look what I bought last night. now what do I do?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline tb3

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
look what I bought last night. now what do I do?
« on: December 23 2011, 09:42:08 AM »
ok, so I know this guy thats had this 87 we4 in his garage for quite awhile.  the front clip is mostly off, but its 100% there, completely stock except for redoing the seats in vinyl, and very clean except the frame is rusted behind the rear wheels where most here in the rust belt rust.  the car has been very well taken care of.   
the only thing that is screwed up is original owner had one of them retarded pop up sunroofs installed.  so now the roof is ruined. 
I bought this thing STUPID cheap!!!!   I have a complete astroroof top I cut about a foot below the roof line, upstairs in my garage. so I could weld in the new roof and weld in new section of rear frame, and put this thing back together and save another one.   but I absolutely refuse to start working on another one of these things, I've still got a ways to go on my 84, and anymore I prefer enjoying the car driving it vs working on it 
I originally went after it cause I thought it was in bad shape.  I was going to grab a couple parts I still need for my hot air conversion, then part it out.   the dash, console, steering wheel, etc.... is all in incredible shape.  the dash is mint.     
it has most the factory options.
Now I'm not sure what to do.  I think the reality is with this economy that I won't make much if I flip it as it is.   but I'd make a nice profit, and help others restore theirs and keep them on the road, if I part it.

decisions decisions

When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
Re: look what I bought last night. now what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: December 23 2011, 10:27:43 AM »
If you don't need the cash - and have space, work on it, get it running nice, and sell it. may take awhile - but it's not like these things are losing value.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23 2011, 07:58:49 PM »
Think of it this way, as Mark said, the price isn't going down really. You could flip it and make a slight profit on it, or you can part it out but that may take a while. You will malke more off it this way though, if you're willing to wait on people needing some parts. If you put it up in a secure location you have the oportunity to restore a second one to it's former glory, and if you don't like the way the HA conversion goes then you can do the IC car with the knowledge you learned from the first. Just my .02. :atbeer:
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23 2011, 10:59:20 PM »
Please don't part out if you can avoid it being its as nice as you say.
I hurts me, a little bit of us dies each time.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline tb3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24 2011, 09:01:41 AM »
but with the economy, they (along with most anything else) have gone down in value.

I absolutely will not rebuild another of these cars. there are several key (espensive) parts I'd like to have as spares for mine though, and this thing seems a prime candidate. 
I'll spend the next week or two evaluating it, but I'm thinkin I may part it
When I'm in Rome, they do as I do

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal