Author Topic: shifter indicator light displays lights on overdrive and drive at the same time  (Read 2403 times)

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Hi All,
Is there a way to adjust the shifter indicator light so only the neutral or overdrive indicator light displays with only ONE indicator light being lit?
Thanks
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Sounds like the linkage is out of adjustment a bit and the shifter is not quite in the neutral position when the transmission is in Neutral.  If you move the shifter a little, do you only get one lit brightly?

There is no way to adjust the light to my knowledge, only the linkage.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
  Maybe the light and wire popped out of the holder\bracket and is ''floating'' around. If so it's only a matter of time till it gets jammed up in the linkage and gets smashed. BTDT

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Sounds like the linkage is out of adjustment a bit and the shifter is not quite in the neutral position when the transmission is in Neutral.  If you move the shifter a little, do you only get one lit brightly?

There is no way to adjust the light to my knowledge, only the linkage.
Hi Steve hope all is well with you, and yes if I move the shifter a little the next indicator light starts to light up.
I removed the shifter top plate and saw the bulb was not secure into the socket.
I might have disturbed the sifter light as I was replacing the shifter cable.
In a couple of days I will readjust the shifter cable linkage again
Is it normal to have about 1/2" of free play"
There is no play or movement on the transmission end, but on the shifter handle It has about 1/2" play

87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
  Maybe the light and wire popped out of the holder\bracket and is ''floating'' around. If so it's only a matter of time till it gets jammed up in the linkage and gets smashed. BTDT
Yes you're right, the bub was slightly off the socket so I remove the shifter plate and reconnected the bulb back onto the socket.
Thanks for your input

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
I tried my GN this morning.  It has about that much play in the shifter so either it is normal, or it is wear and tear on the mechanism after all these years.  I thought it might be cable movement, but, I think it has to be in the detents that hold the shifter into a particular gear.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
I tried my GN this morning.  It has about that much play in the shifter so either it is normal, or it is wear and tear on the mechanism after all these years.  I thought it might be cable movement, but, I think it has to be in the detents that hold the shifter into a particular gear.
I replaced the shifter cable, the transmission Selector Bracket Steering Column Shifter Cross Shaft Bushings, and the Transmission Shifter Cross Shaft Linkage Bushing Spring. It did felted more tighter; as it has that very little play, buy thanks to your finding I will make another linkage adjustment.
I was trying to see if I can shift into all gears including 1st gear. I don't race or have the need to go into 1st gear, just wanted to see if replacing the shifter cable and some adjustment I would achieve that.
I still would like to know the actual length of the OEM shifter cable from eye to eye

Amazon ATP Y-651 shifter cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C8TB3W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Parts Place OEM replacement SHIFT CABLE GM 22519497 (26" TOTAL CABLE LENGTH)
https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/product/1987/1987-buick-skylark-gs-regal-gn-automatic-console-shift-cable-gm-22519497-26-total-cable-length/65166

Both shifter cables length are close to eye to eye measurement
« Last Edit: November 06 2022, 12:15:33 PM by gnonyx »

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Post up if that shifter cable works correctly. I got locals asking me non stop for a correct length shifter cable that fits/works correctly.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Post up if that shifter cable works correctly. I got locals asking me non stop for a correct length shifter cable that fits/works correctly.
Okay, Today I work on my GN almost all day trying to find different combinations with the new shifter cable (26") installed to see if I can shift into 1st gear. I don't race but want to have the availably of going into 1st gear as it did when it came out of the factory.
The Parts Place shifter cable measure distances of 26" Eyelet to Eyelet
Amazon shifter cable measure distances of 26" Eyelet to Eyelet
Gbodyparts on EBay shifter cable measure distances of 25 3/4" Eyelet to Eyelet  $79.95 S&H free
EBayer seller (belair2door)https://www.ebay.com/itm/281261949589?_trkparms=ni_actn%3Anav%7Cni_nt%3AWATCH_ITEM_ENDING_SOON%7Cni_apos%3A3%7Cni_sg%3A1%7Cni_pos%3A3%7Cni_st%3AREAD%7Cni_wh%3A1%7Cni_nid%3A678672521607%7Cni_nsid%3A281261949589%7Cni_bn%3A1&_trksid=p2380424.m570.l5997     shifter cable measure distances of 25 3/4" Eyelet to Eyelet  $63.96 + 13.85 S&H
Member on turbobuick bought an GM NOS floor shift cable 22519497 measure distances of 25 3/4" Eyelet to Eyelet
I already had the PartsPlace shifter cable long before taking to the turbobuick member as some one else told me the length was 26"
Right now I'm debating on getting another shifter cable, but if I do it will from either one of the EBay sellers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal