Author Topic: Painting OEM black (W8555-WA848) or another Black color  (Read 2153 times)

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Painting OEM black (W8555-WA848) or another Black color
« on: November 06 2023, 10:27:25 AM »
Hi All,
Just wondering how many have repainted their ride and when with OEM color or used other black colors like regular Black, Jet Black, Super Black, and others
Thanks
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
Re: Painting OEM black (W8555-WA848) or another Black color
« Reply #1 on: November 07 2023, 04:04:31 PM »
If you are doing the whole car I wouldn't worry, pick what you like. My car was stolen in about year 3 and got a paint job upon recovery. Lacquer was already dead and best I can tell they put a barrier coat and BASF enamel over it. Don't recall anyone looking at my car and saying I have the wrong black.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 08 2023, 09:10:45 AM »
The original paints varied a lot in color and quality.  Most seemed to have brown in them.

This was very popular at one time.  I don't know if it has been replaced or not but it was gorgeous in my eyes.  Dupont code G9900S Super Jet Black
« Last Edit: November 08 2023, 09:49:52 AM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09 2023, 10:48:49 PM »
Hi Steve, Hi Dave,
Nice to hear from you guys since the last time Steve was really helping me out with a vacuum leak and Valve springs replacement.
After all the work I did replacing upper/lower ball joints, upper/lower front and rear bushings, and front/rear coil springs, valve springs, and RTV on headers no gasket; I did had intention of putting it on the road.
But as you can see the driver door had some of dents, and passenger quarter window has some rust built up, and for the like of me I couldn't drive around the way it looks.
So I decided to repaint the whole car and next year after all is painted is when I finally put it on the road and enjoy driving.
Here are some of the pictures I posted where you can see the driver door dents, hood having crow feet, passenger quarter window rust built up. After removing the quarter window I found the problem was cause the Ribbon sealer auto glass was dried to the point when I remove it wasn't even stringy like the driver side.
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09 2023, 11:03:15 PM »
More pictures
Before applying any paint I spend weeks of stripping the hood, and sand the whole car down with 220, and then 320 sand paper.
The GN in the garage is 1st being painted before and after with Eastwood Epoxy Primer, and then last picture of sprayed with Eastwood 2K Urethane Primer Surfacer.
Right now I'm sanding the Urethane Primer Surfacer with 320 sand paper and leaving it like that until next year when warmer climate is present.
Right now I thinking when next year comes I'm deciding to apply a black sealer, and then choosing a dark black base color, and a 2k clear coat.
Note: I tried to give a better picture of my 20' copper tubing to cool down and remove some moisture in the air hose.
I do have and Desiccant Dryer and air Filter
« Last Edit: November 17 2023, 11:00:42 AM by gnonyx »

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 10 2023, 12:06:04 AM »
Julio, it looks like you have done a good job so far.  I have only painted one car in my life and I painted like I colored with crayons.  Not well at all.  they say Prep is 90% of the job.  I also figure having dry air in the hose is 90%.   :rock:
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10 2023, 09:34:54 PM »
Julio, it looks like you have done a good job so far.  I have only painted one car in my life and I painted like I colored with crayons.  Not well at all.  they say Prep is 90% of the job.  I also figure having dry air in the hose is 90%.   :rock:
My first paint job was the header panel and bumper fillers using a SEM Factory Pack GM WA8555 Black 12 oz spray can and SprayMax 2K Glamour High Gloss Aerosol can. which all came out pretty good considering my 1st time painting.
I did a lot of researched and many YouTube videos of learning how to paint a car.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal