Author Topic: SMC alky tank  (Read 6632 times)

Offline Recap

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
SMC alky tank
« on: June 08 2016, 04:01:29 PM »
I have an old SMC alky kit that the pump has died on.  I am going to go with an external pump but as I already have holes drilled for the previous tank I want to replace the old tank with a new one, without holes!  It is the round plastic tank that mounted to the fan shroud with pump inside.  Any idea as to where I might pick up a new one?  Looks like standard off the self item. 

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: SMC alky tank
« Reply #1 on: June 08 2016, 04:04:22 PM »
Steve had the part number of a pump that was the same size...but stronger...mor e PSI than the SMC pump. Wait till he logs in...he'll post it.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 08 2016, 11:12:53 PM »
I had a progressive kit that used the coolant reservoir and an external pump rather than the non-progressive kit...

Steve told me the controller should handle 10 amps and I first bought a flojet pump...but was not happy with the pressure.  I then bought a Devil's Own Shur flo       http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/pumps/445-300-psi-recirculation-pump.html

It was too large to mount in the orginal place so I put it down on the bumper shock mount
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Recap

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09 2016, 10:36:22 AM »
Thanks for the input.  What I am really looking for is a new tank.  I am going to go with and external pump but want to use the existing tank mounting straps.  It looks to be nothing special, some sort of plastic chemical bottle.  I have done a bit of search and have yet to find one that looks identical to the one that was used.  If it weren't for the oultlet and wiring holes, I could use the one I currently have!   :icon_eyes:    Good info on the pump and contoller.  Was hoping the controller would work.  Figured the worst that could happen is I would smoke it! 

Offline GavinHunyady

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13 2016, 10:18:14 AM »
Where are you guys mounting the tank? I was planning to go back to the stock coolant reservoir (using it for the actual coolant overflow) and re-plumb my alkycontrol kit to use a tank like this one: http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/tanks/256-3-quart-tank.htm maybe mounted behind the driver's side headlight in the faux battery tray. Then move my pump to the driver's side bumper bracket... which I intend to make a nicer bracket for anyhow.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13 2016, 06:21:31 PM »
I'll start my own thread if you think it is warranted but I have some alcohol questions.

DO NOT PUMP FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS
DO NOT PUMP MORE THAN 50/50 MIX OF ALCOHOL AND WATER
MORE THAN 50% ALCOHOL IS A FLAMMABLE LIQUID

This is prominently posted at the devils own site in the link above. I was under the impression that the alcohol injected in the kits sold for our cars squirted straight alcohol. Am I mistaken?

Can I put together my own "kit" with one of these pumps and a controller, possibly bought used as it seems the pumps go out and people buy a whole kit. Or am I just silly like I was with the trans overhaul?

Lets hear from all yall alcoholics. I know I need more boost.

They even have a noodle chooser think there. I need a Nozzle: 17.63 according to their widget. Though I'm not sure what that means. I guess it is an office size.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13 2016, 06:27:24 PM »
We use straight alky. Post for a used progressive SMC kit on the other board. You'll get it cheaper than trying to cobble something together...and the pump is external...so it's easily replaced.

And don't come crying to me when you make more HP and 2-3 starts slipping. :)
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline gusszgs

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Limited quick brick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13 2016, 07:33:55 PM »
I've never run anything but pure 100% Meth in Julio's kit (1 pump rebuild in 8 yrs) Akycontrol is the best kit hands down for our Buicks IMO
Jim
1987 T Limited

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13 2016, 10:47:34 PM »
Where are you guys mounting the tank? I was planning to go back to the stock coolant reservoir (using it for the actual coolant overflow) and re-plumb my alkycontrol kit to use a tank like this one: http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/tanks/256-3-quart-tank.htm maybe mounted behind the driver's side headlight in the faux battery tray. Then move my pump to the driver's side bumper bracket... which I intend to make a nicer bracket for anyhow.
I'm using the coolant reservoir for the M1 methanol tank. I put the small tank that comes with the kit in front of the battery. 
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13 2016, 11:35:06 PM »
We use straight alky. Post for a used progressive SMC kit on the other board. You'll get it cheaper than trying to cobble something together...and the pump is external...so it's easily replaced.

And don't come crying to me when you make more HP and 2-3 starts slipping. :)

While I haven't been beating it at the track it has been in there over a year and still has a pretty nice 2-3 snap when it shifts. I'm pretty proud of it and wouldnt hurt my feelings to go back in and put new clutches in it. It shifts better than any of the dealer built units they did under warranty.

All good info. I'll see about this smc controller/kit. That $135 pump Steve posted a link to looks like a nice piece. As with anything it will take a while to get it together.
Rich

Offline GavinHunyady

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14 2016, 09:50:20 AM »
I've never run anything but pure 100% Meth in Julio's kit (1 pump rebuild in 8 yrs) Akycontrol is the best kit hands down for our Buicks IMO

I wouldn't be so sure of that, lots of people are successful with lots of different kits and builds. I also don't like the upsell when I talked to him on the phone, "you need to replace this and that... and we don't trust those controllers anymore." I get it, better safe than sorry, but I didn't appreciate the tone of the discussion. He consistently said he couldn't stand behind his own product unless I spent more money. On the other hand, it just seemed slippery to me to imply that if I updated everything to his specs I would somehow be "protected"... yeah right, no matter what happens to my car its my fault in the end! He's not going to pay for anything that gets damaged if the kit fails regardless of how much money I spend!

I'll start my own thread if you think it is warranted but I have some alcohol questions. DO NOT PUMP FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS DO NOT PUMP MORE THAN 50/50 MIX OF ALCOHOL AND WATER MORE THAN 50% ALCOHOL IS A FLAMMABLE LIQUIDThis is prominently posted at the devils own site in the link above. I was under the impression that the alcohol injected in the kits sold for our cars squirted straight alcohol. Am I mistaken?

Those warnings are just to make their lawyers and the DOT happy... its polyethylene, the same material as the other tanks and the coolant jug, works just fine with straight methanol. They use a "safe" mixture with 50% water because that's non-flammable.

I carry 30gallons around in my race trailer in jugs made from the same stuff... never had a jug melt due to chemical corrosion.

Just like this fuel jugs that are used for "automotive fluid" http://www.ruralking.com/5-gallon-polyethylene-fluid-container.html?fee=2&fep=93903&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1v66BRCV-6rh6s-Biu8BEiQAelpui2K77m6ElBkfmwle1xGFng-tzxELA1YKxVbHKJWNW6AaAgkC8P8HAQ

Polyethylene has very good chemical resistance to methanol, nothing to worry about. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/peh-chemical-resistance-d_329.html

Offline GavinHunyady

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14 2016, 09:55:38 AM »
I just realized ^^^ thats the kind of talk that would get me banned from other boards!

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14 2016, 12:21:24 PM »
Good stuff. I'm kind of late to the game. I rarely buy into trick of the week/month. But I looks like the alcohol is a proven power maker so i am pretty sure I want to give it a whirl. Just have to do some more studying.

Did he give a reason for "we don't trust those controllers" ? It is just electronics and I would guess the same kinda board and such that is in a scanmaster and maf translator. Maybe they need to be building em with better quality stuff rather than the lowest bidder.

This is funny...
NOTE: Intended only for use as a rapid refueling device for racing vehicles used in professional off road and closed course competition racing events. It is NOT a portable fuel container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB or other state or federal agencies. Intended for racing fuel only; not to be used for street legal fuels.
To protect them in this litigious society. Just like the pump disclaimer.
Reminds me of the instructions used in a manner other than Instructed. Just  to get them out of liability. Sad that we have gotten into a second and third generation that thinks nothing is their fault.
« Last Edit: June 14 2016, 12:58:52 PM by TexasT »
Rich

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #13 on: June 14 2016, 06:55:07 PM »
Alky was the latest trick back in the '90's LOL

100% meth out performs anything else in our cars.  Water may remove slightly more heat, but methanol adds both fuel content and octane so that the net result is better perfromance.

It is harder on the pump seals so it's a good idea to have the pump rebuilt every couple of years.  The alky control kit is the best one out of the box for the average guy because the flow curves are tailored for our cars and it is hard to go wrong just leaving the default settings where they are and running the car.  As stated, the marketing is pushed more than some would like, but the kit is good.

I have heard it said that the progressive SMC controller will not up under the current draw.  Steve Chlupsa told me that it should be fine and so far it has been.  Time will tell.  Running in ten second bursts, things don't have much time to get super hot.

One thing that experience has led me to believe is that boost trumps timing anyday.  I have seen cars that went mid-tens on 18 degs of timing on alky with big turbos and plenty of boost.

Lately, I have seen a couple of cars running the Snow kit.  I was not impressed.  It may have been the 50-50 mix but they did not run right at all.
« Last Edit: June 14 2016, 07:11:34 PM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14 2016, 10:38:51 PM »
Devil's advocate with Julio...    It's his kit, it came out of his mind, he built it, and his name is on the box.....

I can recall a few times, I got asked to build a timing cover/oil pump....    BUT the person wanted me to do it differently than I wanted to do it.

I was polite when I said I wasn't interested.  So that's something. :)
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal