Author Topic: fires but then dies!  (Read 2981 times)

Offline ncgreg231

• PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
fires but then dies!
« on: October 10 2014, 11:55:29 AM »
a WE4 that has been sitting more than driving [/size]and recently trying to change that![/size]

Thanks to "Just a six" for the redirect from tbs.com!

I am "pretty sure" that old/bad gas is not the problem.the car has decent fuel pressure and i installed a new fuel filter.
I decided to try using "starting fluid" to see what would happen. Engine would fire but then immediately die. On monday nite had the idea to try and start the engine. This time, it stayed running, i let it run for about 10 minutes? I turned on the lights and noticed the gauge cluster did not light up, so I tapped on the plexiglass cover (expecting the lights to flicker back on) and the engine promptly died instead!
So, suggestions on what to check next? (I use to think i knew a lot about TR's, at the very least I am obviously rusty!!) I am wondering is there any wiring behind the dashboard that could be causing this?

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: fires but then dies!
« Reply #1 on: October 10 2014, 11:57:03 AM »
What's the fuel pressure at the rail?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10 2014, 02:47:37 PM »
a WE4 that has been sitting more than driving [/size]and recently trying to change that![/size]

Thanks to "Just a six" for the redirect from tbs.com!

I am "pretty sure" that old/bad gas is not the problem.the car has decent fuel pressure and i installed a new fuel filter.
I decided to try using "starting fluid" to see what would happen. Engine would fire but then immediately die. On monday nite had the idea to try and start the engine. This time, it stayed running, i let it run for about 10 minutes? I turned on the lights and noticed the gauge cluster did not light up, so I tapped on the plexiglass cover (expecting the lights to flicker back on) and the engine promptly died instead!
So, suggestions on what to check next? (I use to think i knew a lot about TR's, at the very least I am obviously rusty!!) I am wondering is there any wiring behind the dashboard that could be causing this?

Address the dash issue - probably will need to pull it, burning contacts/etc.

That can cause many issues, not charging, primarily.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10 2014, 02:58:19 PM »
X2 on the charging. I can almost guarantee it. I went with the caspers field fix and kept moving. Just to eliminate that from the "could be" list.

My dash lights still aren't 100%. Some mornings it just doesn't light up til I get where I'm goin and I pull the tilt lever and the column bumps up and the lights come on.

I didn't like the way the fuel pressure acted on my gauge so I bought some used fpr and set to "crushing" and using. Been working so far but I need to pull and clean the iac. Then I want to pull the original and install my new to me 42lb injectors. Yours might need a cleaning or replaced.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 10 2014, 04:22:48 PM »
Greg, make sure the battery has enuf charge on it and be sure you don't have an anti-theft chip in it.  It should run without a dash plugged in altho it will not charge the battery

If the battery voltage is below ten, it probably will not run if the alternator is not charging.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline ncgreg231

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13 2014, 01:04:31 AM »
What's the fuel pressure at the rail?

I didn't look too close at the gauge, but looked like @40psi static, and the one time that it ran, it was down "near" 30psi (indexed to engine vacuum)... I wasn't too worried about the EXACT pressure, I was happy to see the gauge needle "moving" more or less as it should!

Offline ncgreg231

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13 2014, 01:13:34 AM »
Greg, make sure the battery has enuf charge on it and be sure you don't have an anti-theft chip in it.  It should run without a dash plugged in altho it will not charge the battery

If the battery voltage is below ten, it probably will not run if the alternator is not charging.

The battery is DOA for all intents and purposes, I use a "jump battery" to get the engine to fire. I take the jump battery off the car, and when it was running, it didn't die, so it seems like the alternator is okay... hmmm... I was looking at some of the diagnostic trees over at vortex buick, faint memories of troubleshootin g skills seem to be slowly coming back to me? I will post updates whenever available!

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13 2014, 11:27:11 AM »
I doubt the thing is charging the battery. Put a meter on it, maybe it is. Mine put out a charge at the altenator but didnt get through the dash and out to the battery. Hence the caspers piece on mine.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 13 2014, 11:28:13 AM »
it quit charging when he tapped on the dash cluster and the lights went out, I suspect
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal