Author Topic: So, where do I start?  (Read 23560 times)

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
Re: So, where do I start?
« Reply #90 on: November 16 2012, 02:23:57 PM »
on your site you said you didnt like to see anything below 13.5 at WOT.  Am i reading too much into it?

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 16 2012, 02:24:48 PM »
my car definitely runs stronger(seems like it) during the day when the fan isn't running and the lights aren't on.(radiator fan due to it being so cool out).

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #92 on: November 16 2012, 03:20:16 PM »
that would be at the fuel pump.  You are not running enuf boost to really make the pump work hard enough to need a lot of voltage.

Again, is your car showing 60 psi of fuel pressure at 17# of boost?
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 16 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
for those short WOT bursts it did spike up to 60 instantly.  didnt stay in it long enough due to the excessive knock im getting when i floor it. like when im in fourth it'll drop down to third but the KR is through the roof. 

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 16 2012, 04:33:41 PM »
should i ease into it and try it with it already being in 3rd gear?

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 16 2012, 05:01:41 PM »
so suddenly it is knocking a lot?  that is new.  How much is a lot?  What is the default timing for 3/4?  Should be written on the chip.  Lower it to 18 degs if you have not already

easing into it will often bring out the worst in a car.  I don't like it, but sometimes it will eliminate an external source of noise.

I always pull the shifter into Drive so I start the run out in third gear and not OD when testing.

When it is showing 60 psi of pressure, is it showing timing retard?

Steve Wood

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 16 2012, 05:16:40 PM »
All good questions. Last time under normal driving conditions in 4th gear, i floored it and 13.8 KR instantly popped up when it dropped down to 3rd. I didnt give the car a chance to pull really   I was trying to watch too much shit so i didnt do my normal STAND IN IT at the time.  I know i suck at relaying what happened as well as just making shit simple, but as i stated before, I dont wanna break anything.   :powersix:

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 16 2012, 05:18:42 PM »
And easing into it can bring out the worse in the car? please elaborate. I thought the TT chip was good for all around driving experiences.  I was under the impression that part throttle runs were not as amusing when running a Non-progressive alky kit.  I could be reading too much into stuff though.  Thanks

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 16 2012, 06:35:38 PM »
just got in from work.  i think im getting all of my KR from shifts.  Did a WOT run from 15 MPH to about 63 MPH, and the FP was pegged at about 60.  I say about due to it being on the windshield. So i'll say the FP is fine from 1st to 2nd gear.  It's a bit cool out, car running at 163.  The stupid ass O2's read at 761 and 4.1 KR when i push the recall button. This car is starting to become worse than my wife.   :hmm

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 16 2012, 07:06:48 PM »
When you go part throttle, the butterfly is only partly open but the turbo is trying to make boost and push air into the engine.  It is a bit confusing for the computer....ma kes it hard to get the fueling right.  The TT chip is very good...

I was mainly referring to those that push the pedal halfway to the floor, make 17# of boost and want someone to analyze their run. 

In your case, start the run in third gear as I suggested above, ease the pedal to the floor rather than abruptly stomping it....and watch the timing retard.

Does not sound like real detonation to me IF and that is a big IF, the fuel pressure holds at 60 psi and the timing retard diminishes rather than increases..... but, You should be seeing at least 780 on the O2s...I would think you would if the fuel pressure is holding

Otherwise, try dropping the timing to 18 degs from whatever the default is in 3/4
Steve Wood

Online nocooler

• Administrator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 18 2012, 10:40:36 AM »
I was bored so I skimmed your thread Phil.

You need to figure out your knock - pull 4-6* of timing and see if it goes away. If not - then figure out where the false knock is.

To make these cars work you really need to go over them with a fine tooth comb, over and over again.

Are we sure the 02 sensor in it is good? ECM/Engine grounds good? I hate chasing 02 numbers - to many variables.

IhaveaV8

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 18 2012, 06:16:25 PM »
When you go part throttle, the butterfly is only partly open but the turbo is trying to make boost and push air into the engine.  It is a bit confusing for the computer....ma kes it hard to get the fueling right.  The TT chip is very good...

I was mainly referring to those that push the pedal halfway to the floor, make 17# of boost and want someone to analyze their run. 

In your case, start the run in third gear as I suggested above, ease the pedal to the floor rather than abruptly stomping it....and watch the timing retard.

Does not sound like real detonation to me IF and that is a big IF, the fuel pressure holds at 60 psi and the timing retard diminishes rather than increases..... but, You should be seeing at least 780 on the O2s...I would think you would if the fuel pressure is holding

Otherwise, try dropping the timing to 18 degs from whatever the default is in 3/4
I'll read what the defaul settings are.  I always thought the timing was the same throughout.  You might be right about the false knock though, becuase i get KR up to 3-5 when the boost hits 5 lbs of boost in fourth when im just passing someone on the highway. I'll keep you all posted.  Thanks

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 18 2012, 06:25:05 PM »
I was bored so I skimmed your thread Phil.

You need to figure out your knock - pull 4-6* of timing and see if it goes away. If not - then figure out where the false knock is.

To make these cars work you really need to go over them with a fine tooth comb, over and over again.

Are we sure the 02 sensor in it is good? ECM/Engine grounds good? I hate chasing 02 numbers - to many variables.

There are a lot of variables. I would like to do the grounds, but unsure of the procedure(could be quite simple). I think it's false knock due to how easy it comes in, and i dont see any normally in first and 2nd gear. Does the knock sensor pick up tire squeel? Burnouts, ets....?

Online nocooler

• Administrator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 18 2012, 06:31:24 PM »
Tire squeal shouldn't trip the sensor - traction hop might do it - but then there are other issues

Normally it's from the exhaust banging, etc. Check the engine mounts, trans mount and the exhaust hangers
IhaveaV8

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 18 2012, 09:03:48 PM »
Thanks. I posted earlier that i think i might need a driver side motor mount do to my engine lifting up under accel.  Steve had me put the E-brake on with the car in drive and see what happens.  thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal