Author Topic: Any Mac/Apple owners/experts on here?  (Read 4160 times)

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Any Mac/Apple owners/experts on here?
« on: February 05 2008, 01:32:45 PM »

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/lynch455/science
« Reply #1 on: February 05 2008, 01:50:39 PM »
What do you need Gary? I've been flogging them for years doing graphics and commercial design applications. Whatcha need to know?
My 1958 Mamiya can beat up whatever camera you just wasted your money on.

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
Re: Any Mac/Apple owners/experts on here?
« Reply #2 on: February 05 2008, 06:52:03 PM »
I am getting ready to convert over from MS & buying a new Imac, 20", 2.4 CPU, 320 harddrive, & an extra gig of memory, iwork software, & probably the Mac office software, and I am just curious as to what people like & dislike about the mac. I have heard that the Mac office Word software is virtually identical to the MS but I have  heard that the Mac version of Excel, whatever they call their spreadsheet version sucks. Just curious.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07 2008, 06:34:47 PM »
Quote from: "Gary Wells @ Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:52 pm"
I am getting ready to convert over from MS & buying a new Imac, 20", 2.4 CPU, 320 harddrive, & an extra gig of memory, iwork software, & probably the Mac office software, and I am just curious as to what people like & dislike about the mac. I have heard that the Mac office Word software is virtually identical to the MS but I have  heard that the Mac version of Excel, whatever they call their spreadsheet version sucks. Just curious.

Honestly - unless you are doing music/video/graphic editing, etc - a new PC may be a better choice.

For overall office/web work - PC's are still far more compatible. Ever been to an office that has all Macs?
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07 2008, 11:24:07 PM »
^ Uh huh. Macs are creative workhorses. PC is a hell of a lot cheaper for everything else. As far as software goes, most of it is the same these days, with a few things platform specific. Once you get over the 'Option' key and the one button mouse, it's all the same really. Until you're pre-flighting for a 4 over 1 job in CMYK. WTF you ask? Don't worry about it.

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09 2008, 09:08:12 AM »
Mark: I agree with you 100%, but we both know that offices & places that have alot of computers will never have macs. Just a given. For corporate use, it just wouldn't pay to even try and teach your whole manufacturing facility & staff the Mac basics & differences between MS & Leopard.
My problem is that I am on limited space, not limited enough to warrant any desire for a laptop but limited enough to warrant the new all in one design, such as the Imac. Sony makes a beautiful LT series all in one design, but if you think that the Macs are pricey, go look at the Sony LT for what really describes the term pricey.
Almost all or all of the computer manufacturers are going to all in one designs and making the tower obselete, and fwiw, I am tired on looking at my tower.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11 2008, 08:19:23 AM »
Good points Gary. Personally -  I wouldn't look forward to the learning curve, and general, popular software incompatibilit ies hindering my productivity. I could be wrong, I don't know what software packages you use.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11 2008, 09:15:23 PM »
After some careful thought about this situation I have decided to fix my old Sony junker with a new and bigger harddrive, more memory, whatever else it needs, maybe a new 20" mac monitor that I have seen, some bootleg software such as Windows XP, MS office with Outlook, & some new spyware & antivirus.
By the time that I stepped on the iMac's memory another gig, bought and / or installed Windows XP & MS office with Outlook, the spyware and antivirus necessary to keep the MS software uncorrupted, with newly purchased Windows XP & MS Office, I would be looking at about $2800 or so. Way out of my league. Everybody that I talked to on the internet advised that the Mac software for Windows XP & MS office, whether Mac's software or the newly Mac software designed by MS is terribly crappy at best description. The main problem is Mac's replacement or version fo Excel simply sucks. As much as I don't have any love for Bill Gates, I really miss Windows XP & Microsoft Office for Word. I guess that I am stuck, and the iMac was only a pipedream. Oh well. Thanks everybody for your help.

Offline TSM Girl

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11 2008, 09:18:23 PM »
Sorry Gary, I have no clue on this one, I leave it up to the husband when it comes to computers... Just thought I would say hello!   :D
Donna

"Stupid people should NOT breed!"

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11 2008, 10:10:35 PM »
Hello, Donna, how are you doing?

Offline 87natty

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12 2008, 09:32:32 PM »
Quote from: "Gary Wells @ Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:10 pm"
Hello, Donna, how are you doing?

Hello, Gary, did you just hi-jack your own thread? LOL

Offline TSM Girl

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12 2008, 10:45:49 PM »
lol, thanks Gary, we are doing fine over here.  :rofl;
Donna

"Stupid people should NOT breed!"

Offline Recklessrob

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12 2008, 11:38:50 PM »
Gary, have you looked at the new Dell XPS systems ?
Rob

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13 2008, 07:49:07 AM »
From my experience, Dell is either a love it or hate it proposition. Peoples feedback is not the greatest on Dell as a general rule, but I will look again. Damn sure not as attractrive as the Sony LT series of desktops.

Offline Gary Wells

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29 2008, 12:50:01 PM »
Finally got my Imac last weekend & got it hooked up. Almost $2k out the door. Love it. Great computer. Got it from the Apple store in the Brea mall. Now I am dreaming about a '08 Z06, but I don't think that will happen though. Damn close, though. as this weekend at least one So Kali dealer is giving 10K off of MSRP on 10 Z06's. Only working somewhere between retiring tomorrow, which is what my company would like to see, to another year and 10 months before I retire, which is what I would like to see, may not be convenient timing to dropping about $85K out the door.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal