Author Topic: Bumper filllers  (Read 8033 times)

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
Bumper filllers
« on: March 09 2018, 10:15:11 PM »
So my front right bumper filler has now completely disintegrated.  Do I get the Highway Stars flexible plastic or the Spool Fool fiberglass? 
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: Bumper filllers
« Reply #1 on: March 09 2018, 11:20:06 PM »
I went fiberglass from the eBay. Though I definitely  see supporting a part of the community.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10 2018, 04:39:19 AM »
Go with 'glass and be done with it.

Having concave plastic, black in color. facing the sun is just asking for it.   Might as well get a material that isn't a slave to UV.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10 2018, 08:23:38 AM »
I think you are right.  The originals lasted a long time but have been inside a garage or storage most of the time. 
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10 2018, 03:58:05 PM »
Go with 'glass and be done with it.

Having concave plastic, black in color. facing the sun is just asking for it.   Might as well get a material that isn't a slave to UV.

I think it is your acid rain! :P I've never had a problem with fillers and I drove my old 85 T-Type year round.  Although, the fillers were full of snow in the winter!

The southern cars seem to be bad for that and baking the crap out of the interior!

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10 2018, 09:16:44 PM »
My original filler cracked one day.  Within a month, the other three cracked, and the first one got a second crack.

It was actually pretty amazing how they all cracked in three weeks when the car was 20 years old.

In the south, you just can't paint a concave surface black and point it at the sun. That never works out well.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Pyro6

• PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12 2018, 05:40:46 PM »
Spoolful. Mike's the best

Offline aminga

• Chicks Dig the Power Bulge
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • Chicks Dig the Power Bulge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17 2018, 10:07:04 AM »
Spoolful. Mike's the best

ditto on that
86 Regal T-type. One Owner. Twisted 6 Racing Built 109, FTSS Revolution X 206/210 Cam, T&D 1.65 Rockers, Diamond Forged Pistons, RJC Power Plate, TA6262DBB, PTE SLIC, Alkycontrol pump and Kit and ISAC Controller, Bailey TR6 Wastespark, TA Headers, ATR Downpipe, Racetronix Walbro pump and hot wire ki

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17 2018, 02:24:26 PM »
White car's fillers did not survive the trip to Lorenz's. I blame Ohio air :).
Can't be Canuck winters after Arizona baking :o
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11 2019, 01:08:54 PM »
  Do I get the Highway Stars flexible plastic or the Spool Fool fiberglass?
Do the Spool Fool fillers need painted? Are they as 'finished' as they appear in the pictures?
My oem fillers lasted about 25+ years, now 3 of the 4 are cracked. time to get started.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11 2019, 03:08:30 PM »
They don't ''need'' painting as they come is a pretty close shade of black that matches paint.

But every car is a slightly different shade. It just depends on how ''perfect'' you want them to match (and how ''perfect'' your current paintwork is).

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12 2019, 07:57:34 AM »
I don't how the economics are for you guys but here the cost of painting is about the same as the cost of the (OEM style) fillers themselves. Makes the price of the spoolfool units look attractive. 
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12 2019, 03:36:35 PM »
Thanks for the opinions, guys.

I bought Spool Fool. I am a world class critic, but a damn poor body man. If i am disappointed with the color/finish, I will call in a debt from some people I have helped. Hell, I could probably refinish gel coated fiberglass. I will be down to fixing the idle and yea/nay on the headliner. I will have this car professionally detailed.

As it stands today, I will probably consign the car to Gateway Classics. Hopefully, by the end of this month.

There is an outside chance, I would end up keeping this car or my V8 Vega.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal