Author Topic: Repaint Header Panel  (Read 27870 times)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Repaint Header Panel
« Reply #30 on: October 01 2017, 08:39:45 AM »
You've got a knack for body/paint. Looks great!
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01 2017, 10:56:59 AM »
You've got a knack for body/paint. Looks great!
Thanks, I wish that was true, I guess the real test and challenge is when I strip the hood and do the same procedure as the header panel. Right now the hood has what I think is called "crows feet", and my understanding if it's not the clear causing the crows feet then it's the actual base paint. If the base paint is causing this, the only option is to strip down to metal and start from fresh.
Right now the temperature here is starting to get cooler, and the only thing I can do is the prep work from this coming spring warmer weather.
I will post some pictures of my progress

87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01 2017, 11:46:07 AM »
I had 'crows feet' happen on this ATR front bumper when I cleared it. I switched to a different clear...may have been laquer or vice versa...whatev er the other one is. When I switched to the other...all went well. Think I still have both the cans in the garage. Will check today. The guy that stole my GN snapped the bumper in half. I'm just fixing it now....so I'll have a look today.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01 2017, 03:04:44 PM »
I had 'crows feet' happen on this ATR front bumper when I cleared it. I switched to a different clear...may have been laquer or vice versa...whatev er the other one is. When I switched to the other...all went well. Think I still have both the cans in the garage. Will check today. The guy that stole my GN snapped the bumper in half. I'm just fixing it now....so I'll have a look today.
So what you're saying that scumbag try to steal your GN and damaged the bumper?
As far as the crows feet, I'm going to try to use 3M Trizact Hookit Foam Disc 6" 2500 and 3000 Grit, and see if the clear is causing this issue or the base paint. All I know I have a winter projects in a cold garage. I might have to break out the portable propane heater; and that thing throws out too much heat, as I'm going to have to open a little the garage door.
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01 2017, 03:07:32 PM »
Found the 2 cans. Enamel and lacquer. I prolly sprayed with enamel...and then cleared it with laquer...or vice versa. I've got enamel black...so I'll clear it with enamel. Warming this week. I'll get back to you on how it turned out...prolly Wednesday.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01 2017, 05:13:23 PM »
They came out really good!  :cheers:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01 2017, 06:31:17 PM »
Found the 2 cans. Enamel and lacquer. I prolly sprayed with enamel...and then cleared it with laquer...or vice versa. I've got enamel black...so I'll clear it with enamel. Warming this week. I'll get back to you on how it turned out...prolly Wednesday.
The 2 cans that you found are going to be use on the bumper?

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01 2017, 06:33:50 PM »
They came out really good!  :cheers:
Thanks David, Now I have to remember where all of the bolts goes back onto the header panel, front grill, etcs.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01 2017, 06:42:57 PM »
I have a new can of Duplicolor black enamel. Gonna clear the bumper with Duplicolor clear enamel.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01 2017, 09:04:33 PM »
I have a new can of Duplicolor black enamel. Gonna clear the bumper with Duplicolor clear enamel.
Definitely post some pictures after you paint the bumpers

I also painted both bumpers this afternoon since the weather was warm to paint.
I going to use the black base paint and the 2k clear gloss coat, but I already started with Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover black Paint+Primer. I already have given 3 coats, and I might give it another coat to fill in some pin spots.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01 2017, 09:08:14 PM »
There's a pic of the front bumper on the board here somewhere the first time I did it before the car was stolen. I'll get pics up this week if the weather will cooperate.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01 2017, 09:18:36 PM »
Here's the 2 pics from the first time.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01 2017, 09:57:49 PM »
Here's the 2 pics from the first time.
front bumper looks really good
now are you going to use both spray paint you mention before, and will it look like the one in your pictures?

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01 2017, 10:09:40 PM »
Duplicolor is what I went with the first time...so I'm sticking with it. No reason it shouldn't look the same. You can't tell where it was broke in half.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02 2017, 10:53:03 AM »
Duplicolor is what I went with the first time...so I'm sticking with it. No reason it shouldn't look the same. You can't tell where it was broke in half.
Like I said, the bumper really looks good, maybe next time if I do the bumper again, i'll switch to Duplicolor with the clear.
If you get a chance, post some pictures

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal