Author Topic: Last Friday's one and only run  (Read 2216 times)

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
Last Friday's one and only run
« on: September 15 2014, 09:15:43 PM »
Here's the time slip from the only run I got to make at little river last Friday.

First, there's been a lot of changes to my car and this was suppose to be a test and tune night.
Rear suspension changes, front suspension changes, rear aluminum drums on the car, blazer front brake/spindle swap, new MT ET streets, and an HD actuator that can actually build some boost.

I staged last and didn't get a chance to build some boost before the lights dropped.  I should've waited to build some boost before launching but I didn't. Ended up launching with less than 1 pound of boost according to the log.  I've had faster 60 ft times but not by much. My fastest is 1.78.  All the rest of the numbers were new personal bests with this car.  Old fastest mph was 104. Old fastest E/T was 12.68.

Log showed 19/20 pounds of boost which correlates with my boost guage in the dash.  One thing of particular note was that the SM showed 2.0 degrees of retard at the 2/3 shift and the lowest o2 of 784 but the log did not show any retard or any knock whatsoever. Would having the smoothing settings turned on hide this on the log? 

I'm still running way rich down low and I will work on that with the tune in the chip.  By the way, I am really liking the process of tuning without using the gas pedal.  Thanks Eric!

Wish there was time to make more runs but that was it for the night at that track
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
Re: Last Friday's one and only run
« Reply #1 on: September 15 2014, 09:28:37 PM »
Congrats on the personal bests! Not sure on the smoothing feature...but Steve or one of the others mite be able to shed some lite on that. It likely 'heard' something on the 2-3 shift. Pulling low gear fuel will make it spool quicker and come off the line quicker. I'm in the same boat for this Friday...last Saturday was pig rich in low gear. Can you post the log?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15 2014, 10:00:41 PM »
Just went to upload the log and it's not there.  It's named correctly and saved on the correct date and time, but it's not of the run from last Friday.  It looks like one of the runs from back at the Texas nats.  This is not the first time that this has happened to me with one of the logs.  The only time I was able to see this run was right after I saved it at the track.  It may also be that while I was reviewing the log other events took place and I slammed the laptop shut.

The comments in the original post are from memory.  Just another reason to get back out there and log another run.  May have to wait for the Buick/Ford shootout at Noble.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • RED-RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15 2014, 10:08:06 PM »
Don't feel bad, I did the same thing. Big smoke show from the car last June from a cracked cylinder. Got pissed and slammed the laptop shut.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline larrym

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15 2014, 10:11:28 PM »
well done!
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 15 2014, 10:28:29 PM »
If you are asking if smoothing will cover up timing retard, the answer is no.

Brad is most likely correct in that the knock sensor "heard" the jerk when it shifted assuming the driver side motor mount is good.  Beyond that, I have seen tranny cooler lines hit something, down pipe hit the pinch weld at the bottom of the firewall, loose hanger at the back of the downpipe, loose ac compressor bracket, and even urethane engine mounts that transferred noise to the sensor....
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15 2014, 10:54:00 PM »
I have HR poly mounts on both sides of the engine and a new stock mount on the tranny.  No doubt there could be something under their loose and made a false knock.

I think that my question was more about why would the log (going from memory) not show the knock but the scanmaster did show knock retard, again going from memory.  My habit at the track is to hit the space bar after the burnout and again at the turn off. Then hit the recall button while headed to the time booth to see what was the lowest o2 and any retard and at what speed

I think my new process will be to write down the numbers from the SM on the time slip before shutting it down
« Last Edit: September 16 2014, 08:00:18 AM by good2win22 »
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 15 2014, 11:22:36 PM »
poly mounts all the way around are more likely to transfer "noise" than soft rubber mounts.  I would never replace both mounts and the tranny mounts unless I was trying to run down in the nines and turned the knock sensor off.

I am not sure if the scanmaster is reflecting the raw data line input whereas the PL is reflecting the filtered data coming out of the ecm...not sure how that works when the SM is getting its data from the ecm via the PL.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16 2014, 09:31:24 PM »
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal